• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO studio and buffer size

Share/Bookmark

GPO studio and buffer size

I've a query about the buffer size settings in GPO Studio. Why, first of all is there a setting for this when it should be controlled by the soundcard's own control panel. And secondly why is the max only 512 (13ms) when this can be inadequate --- both my Audiophile 2496 and ASIO4ALL drivers allow up to 2048 which can help in congested orchestral climaxes and really less than 1/20 of a second delay will be noticed by hardly anyone.

Another related question -- performance (though not stability) is noticeably better in Cubase using the VST plug-in rather than GPO studio. Is this partly because it doesn't try to impose its own buffer settings? I'm really surprised how different the behaviour is in general between the two with each having its own individual little gremlins!

Re: GPO studio and buffer size

Same here. GPO studio gives me trouble unless I lower the sample rate down to 3200, which doesn't sound that great. However the GPO DXi sounds a lot better, but still with issues untill I mixdown. I think these are both processor related. (I have a P4 1.8 ghz)

dko22, what's your system's specs?

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Same here. GPO studio gives me trouble unless I lower the sample rate down to 3200, which doesn't sound that great. However the GPO DXi sounds a lot better, but still with issues untill I mixdown. I think these are both processor related. (I have a P4 1.8 ghz)

dko22, what's your system's specs?

-Chris
    Athlon 2.2 (running at 1.8Ghz). 768 Ram which is about to be doubled so I can actually load in all the imstruments I want to!

Quote Originally Posted by dko22
    Athlon 2.2 (running at 1.8Ghz). 768 Ram which is about to be doubled so I can actually load in all the imstruments I want to!
    Hmm...
    It could be the processor since we're both stuck in the 1.8 ghz world. Wait...aren't Athlons supposed to outperform Intels by 2x? That means you have the Intel equivilent of 3.6 ghz. Geez!! Maybe it is a GPO studio problem...
    Or a soundcard problem?

I dunno...

-Chris

it could be a fault with Studio --would be useful to get feedback from others who have tried to use both with Cubas(is)e. I've read that Athlon does give somewhat better performance than the equivalent Intel but not double surely? Anyway, the min. specs say 1.8 Ghz processor which I assume should give adequate performance for an average full orchestral score. And I'd love to know the answer about the max 512 latency setting in GPO Studio!

Quote Originally Posted by dko22
    it could be a fault with Studio --would be useful to get feedback from others who have tried to use both with Cubas(is)e. I've read that Athlon does give somewhat better performance than the equivalent Intel but not double surely? Anyway, the min. specs say 1.8 Ghz processor which I assume should give adequate performance for an average full orchestral score. And I'd love to know the answer about the max 512 latency setting in GPO Studio!
    For a fair cpu usage comparison, what you need to do is run 8 instances of GPO and one instance of ambiance in Cubas(is)e.

In GPO Studio there is no current way to shut down unwanted GPO instances, but you can shut down the ambiance plugin by setting it to bypass.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

David is correct. Each instance of the Kontakt player, whether loaded with instruments or not, takes a small amount of CPU. This is the downside to GPO Studio and since 8 instances are always available the starting CPU load is moderately higher than say, 1 or 2 instances in Cubase. This would directly correlate into a lower threshold for your work since there is less room for actual CPU movement to take place during performance.

Also, Ambience is a CPU hog. Adjusting this or bypassing it altogether during creation is a must for larger works. You may also want to render a few tracks to audio in each session then bring them back in as audio file in a sequencer or multitrack audio program, line them up, and render the final product.

Thanks, David and Joseph, for the info about unused slots of the GPO Studio taking up CPU –as I 've been using only 3 for converting my “legacy” symphonies, that could make a significant difference. I must say it's not been a major issue since I upgraded to the Audiophile 4296 –perhaps half a dozen climaxes with dropouts in total which I can rescore or mute if required. Experimented a bit with Ambience –bypassing didn't seem to stop the problem but I still have a lot of fun in front of me exploring this aspect. There are so many factors, for instance using fast pizzicato seems a real processor hog for some reason!

Speaking of Audio, I find I have to use the VST plug-in to record audio, otherwise Studio takes over VST and stops Cubase activating the default inputs. There's probably a way round it –any suggestions welcome before I experiment! I'm trying to keep both the .gpo and bank files (which Cubase can read) synchronised to it's easy to swap modes.

Why are you routing the audio back into Cubase to record? You can record directly from GPO Studio with version 1.2. Also, you can limit the polyphony of bothersome instruments to give you more head room. I can't remember where the actual place is to click, but maybe someone can give you the location of this on the Kontakt player. Just click on the polyphony (displayed something like 0/32) and then drag down to lower it. I usually cut mine in half for most instruments.

if limiting the polyphony reduces the CPU load then I'll certainly play around with that as the default for strings is much higher than what would normally be required. On the other hand I've needed to increase it for solo instruments which default to 1 and with woodwind in particular, I prefer the sound of the soloists. Thanks again!

Go Back to forum