• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: World Stupidity Awards: And the winner is...

Share/Bookmark

World Stupidity Awards: And the winner is...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    George Walker Bush , the winner of Stupidest Statement for his comment: "They never stop thinking of ways of harming America, and neither do we. "

And few more, from The Complete Bushisms , that could have won him the prize a couple of times more:

"I think younger workers—first of all, younger workers have been promised benefits the government—promises that have been promised, benefits that we can't keep. That's just the way it is."—Washington, D.C., May 4, 2005

"I was going to say he's a piece of work, but that might not translate too well. Is that all right, if I call you a 'piece of work'?"—To Jean-Claude Juncker, prime minister of Luxembourg, Washington, D.C., June 20, 2005

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda."—Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

"But Iraq has—have got people there that are willing to kill, and they're hard-nosed killers. And we will work with the Iraqis to secure their future." —Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

"We expect the states to show us whether or not we're achieving simple objectives—like literacy, literacy in math, the ability to read and write."—on federal education requirements, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

"It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us and get them out of harm's way."—Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

"We look forward to analyzing and working with legislation that will make—it would hope—put a free press's mind at ease that you're not being denied information you shouldn't see."
    —Washington, D.C., April 14, 2005

"I'm going to spend a lot of time on Social Security. I enjoy it. I enjoy taking on the issue. I guess, it's the Mother in me." —Washington D.C., April 14, 2005

"In terms of timetables, as quickly as possible—whatever that means."—On the president's time frame for shoring up Social Security, Washington D.C., March 16, 2005

"In this job you've got a lot on your plate on a regular basis; you don't have much time to sit around and wander, lonely, in the Oval Office, kind of asking different portraits, 'How do you think my standing will be?' "—Washington, D.C., March 16, 2005

"Because the—all which is on the table begins to address the big cost drivers. For example, how benefits are calculate, for example, is on the table; whether or not benefits rise based upon wage increases or price increases. There's a series of parts of the formula that are being considered. And when you couple that, those different cost drivers, affecting those—changing those with personal accounts, the idea is to get what has been promised more likely to be—or closer delivered to what has been promised. Does that make any sense to you? It's kind of muddled. Look, there's a series of things that cause the—like, for example, benefits are calculated based upon the increase of wages, as opposed to the increase of prices. Some have suggested that we calculate—the benefits will rise based upon inflation, as opposed to wage increases. There is a reform that would help solve the red if that were put into effect. In other words, how fast benefits grow, how fast the promised benefits grow, if those—if that growth is affected, it will help on the red."—Explaining his plan to save Social Security, Tampa, Fla., Feb. 4, 2005

That man is simply prizeless
    Peace in our time

Re: World Stupidity Awards: And the winner is...

You are treading on thin ice when you insult our president.

What has YOUR president and YOUR country contributed to the world recently?

...and your point is...?

A proud American,

Larry G. Alexander
    Tyler, Texas - USA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Can we keep this about the music? We all have strong feelings, one way or the other about the world, its events, and possible solutions. But this isn't the place to discuss them - the occasional humor is great, of course.

I've read too many boards that became flaming grounds for things off topic- so much so, that the original reason for the board became non-existent.

I'll step off my soapbox, now.

In friendship,

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander

...and your point is...?

USA
    ....that Nickie Finklestein~~~~kid get's my vote for the World Stupidity Awards for posting something like this in the wrong place.

Also great post Larry.

I'm not insulting anybody. I don't even aim at insulting anybody! I am not a fan of mr. Bush, neither am I a Bush hater like so many other europeans. I am simply relaying some rather funny remarks, which other people apparently also think are rather funny. Loosen up, Larry, and laugh when there is something to laugh at. There is enough to mourn in this world. Cherish the bright moments, when they come your way. These remarks by mr. Bush definitely belong to the latter.

The name of the prize, that's not my invention. If you don't like it, fine, but criticise those who invented it, not those who refer to it.

And if you think the remarks are an insult to mr. Bush, well, can't really help you there. He came with those remarks, and he will have to live with them, which he seems to do quite well. Personally I think he has the spine and dignity to live with the mistakes we all make.

You ask what MY president and MY country contributed with recently? First of all, my country doesn't have a president. Secondly, my country is one of the few countries, that has supported and still does support the USA in Iraq. I am amazed you don't know this.

Exclamation Re: World Stupidity Awards: And the winner is...

Nickie,

I think your humor is well intended, however, this would more appropriately placed in the Off Topic General Discussion Area in the other part of the forum – and even then, you may wish to reconsider. Please remember that the GPO community (as well as NS as a whole) consists of many Americans who both support and oppose President Bush and his policies, but we rise above all that to enjoy our common interests and goals in music. Humor is essential, but one must be sensitive to the beliefs of others. I am very much opposed to President Bush and am a raging progressive, liberal democrat (and I’m from Texas even ), but I make it a point to kindly clobber my republican friends in the appropriate area.

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Hey, Nickie.

As Brian mentioned, I'm sure you meant no harm or insults. However, the community here has an extremely good vibe, which I'm sure you know is very unusual for most online forums.

Part of the trick to keeping this great environment is an extra bit of discretion in postings. Even in the off topic section, it's always a good idea to avoid posts about religion or politics, or any of the other sorts of things that people might get up in arms about. Another thing that really helps is avoiding the temptation to respond to people if they make a post that's confrontational, emotional, or criticizes something that you've said in a less than diplomatic way, even when you know that you're in the right.

The problem with text conversations is that you can't see or hear the other person to get the normal visual or inflection cues that indicate a comment was light hearted and not meant to offend. Because of that, and a sincere desire to keep the forums here friendly and supportive to all, most folks go out of their way to err on the side of caution to avoid misunderstandings. From your other posts that I've read, you seem like a good guy, so I'm sure you understand.

Thanks, man!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    I am a raging progressive, liberal...
    Really? Good heavens, they let Wookies vote?!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

This should be in the off-topic area, of course.

But as an American, I'm sick and tired of all these Danes assuming that just because our president can't talk or think, that makes him an inarticulate moron.

Now kindly go back to producing Thomas J and beautiful furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Really? Good heavens, they let Wookies vote?!
    Yea! and big apes too!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast