• Register
  • Help

Topic: Shuttle Discovery Launch Pictures - from Cantible

Share/Bookmark

Shuttle Discovery Launch Pictures - from Cantible

One of our forum members Cantible lives very close to Cape Canaveral and just witnessed the launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery. These pictures were taken at the park next door to Cantible on the water front. He writes that he has never seen so many peeople attend a launch before and that it was very loud. (Cantible - we need to sample it! )

This marks the United States' return to manned space flight for the first time since the Columbia disaster in February 2003. Wishing the crew a safe and successful journey.

Thanks for sending these Cantible.

Gary Garritan

Re: Shuttle Discovery Launch Pictures - from Cantible

Thank you Cantabile and Gary. These are wonderful pictures. I second the wish for a productive mission and a safe return. This is truly a great time to be alive.

Karl

P.S. Cantabile, I also wish for you a hurricane-free summer, and if you get a chance send me a little more of your on-going work. I always enjoy it so much.

I worked at the Cape from August of 1957 until June of 1963 and lived about 10 miles south of there in Satellite Beach. When they would fire up the Saturn rockets (the Apollo launch platform) for a test burn they were so loud you could hear them at my house and even feel the ground vibrate. It was really awesome!!!!

Never been around for a shuttle launch so I don't know if they are that loud.

Tom

Thumbs up Re: Shuttle Discovery Launch Pictures - from Cantible

Cool! I watched on the tele this afternoon. Did you notice on the right wing near the tail section the little bumper sticker? "GPO TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!"
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Cool! I watched on the tele this afternoon. Did you notice on the right wing near the tail section the little bumper sticker? "GPO TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!"
    It's about time somebody noticed!

GPS? Personal Shuttle? I don't think they are as loud as the saturns but I do not know as I was not in this state at the time and besides may not have been born yet lol(72?). My father saw one launch and said it was louder then the shuttles however.
    Nonetheless it is an awsome sight to see and regardless that I have seen dozens, it is always thrilling.
    You want to sample that sound? Hmm Im thinking you need a massive subwoofer to get it to sound the same, such a low end frequency rumble. Hard to describe, like a jet fighter's engine with the bass EQ set to max!

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    I worked at the Cape from August of 1957 until June of 1963 and lived about 10 miles south of there in Satellite Beach. When they would fire up the Saturn rockets (the Apollo launch platform) for a test burn they were so loud you could hear them at my house and even feel the ground vibrate. It was really awesome!!!!

Never been around for a shuttle launch so I don't know if they are that loud.

Tom
    I lived in Satellite Beach for a time, and was down on a dock in Melbourne Beach for the first night launch of the shuttle. For those of you not familiar with the area, that's about 60 minutes south of the launch pad.

The shuttle went up, lit the sky, faded up into the distance where it could no longer be seen. Dead silence, of course, because we were so far away. A couple of minutes later, however, the dock started vibrating and shaking. The launch shook the ground an hour away! And that wasn't anywhere near the Saturn V monsters that they used for Apollo!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile
    GPS? Personal Shuttle?
    No...

GPO - Gary's Personal Orbiter
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

This is great news! May the crew have a safe trip, and may they keep close enough to the world that people can see the GPO sign on it . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum