• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New to GPO

Share/Bookmark

Red face New to GPO

Hello Everyone,

My copy of GPO just arrived last weekend, and I've been toying with it ever since. At this point I have a few questions about how the software works. I can't seem to find exact answers in the manual so I thought I would try here. It should be noted that I am using GPO with Sibelius

1. What are Key Switches and how do they work? I tryed imputting a few KS commands into one of my scores to absouletly no effect. And the "keyswitch plugin" for pizzacato doesn't work either. What am I missing?

2. How does one build their own ensemble? I can see where you can take a number of samples and load them into a single "player", but Sibelius seems to only allow a staff to playback one slot of that player. So how am I to for example build a first violin section that plays back in the Violin I staff of Sibelius?

3. What are some good basic C1 paramaters for the various dynamics? When I set ~C1, 76 for all of my instruments to play forte, its ear splitting!!

4. would anyone be willing to listen to a partial file of one of my orchestral pieces, and perhaps offer suggestions for playback improvement? right now I just don't feel like I'm utilizing the software fully.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    MsP

Re: New to GPO

Welcome to the forum and GPOland Matthew!

My copy of GPO just arrived last weekend, and I've been toying with it ever since. At this point I have a few questions about how the software works. I can't seem to find exact answers in the manual so I thought I would try here. It should be noted that I am using GPO with Sibelius

1. What are Key Switches and how do they work? I tryed imputting a few KS commands into one of my scores to absouletly no effect. And the "keyswitch plugin" for pizzacato doesn't work either. What am I missing? A keyswitch is literaly a note in the score that you would use not to play an audible note, but to trigger a switch inside the Kontakt player so that the switch will turn on a new type of articulation/sound. If you scroll to the extreme left of the Kontakt player's keyboard, you will see yellow notes. These are the keyswitches. I must also tell you that these yellow keyswitches are only in the 'KS" instruments. Place a short note just before the articulation is to change in that staff.

2. How does one build their own ensemble? I can see where you can take a number of samples and load them into a single "player", but Sibelius seems to only allow a staff to playback one slot of that player. So how am I to for example build a first violin section that plays back in the Violin I staff of Sibelius? In the Kontakt player, there is a portion of the display that shows what midi channel each particular slot/sound is assigned to. This number is 1-16 and is located just below the CPU useage display. You can change each loaded sound to whatever midi channel you want by hovering the mouse over the number, then scroll to the desired number. Just in case you are not familiar with midi, the term "omni" in this window, means that this particular sound will respond to all midi channels, or staffs in the case of Sibelius. For example, you could load eight violins and set them all to the same staff. Of course you would typically not want to do that. Ideally, each instrument would have it's own midi track with separate velocities, slurs, attacks duration etc. Danielle Davis did a tutorial on how to build an ensemble, you can download it or view it from Garritan.com or click here Having a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) like Sonar, Nuendo, Cubase, Digital Performer etc., allows maximun flexibility with editing and mixing the final project.

3. What are some good basic C1 paramaters for the various dynamics? When I set ~C1, 76 for all of my instruments to play forte, its ear splitting!! Since I don't use GPO in Sibelius, someone else here could answer that for you.

4. would anyone be willing to listen to a partial file of one of my orchestral pieces, and perhaps offer suggestions for playback improvement? right now I just don't feel like I'm utilizing the software fully. Someone here will be willing to take a listen and help you out further. Someone that uses Sebelius like Johnny Lost is a great help!

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by Mattssound
    Hello Everyone,

1. What are Key Switches and how do they work? I tryed imputting a few KS commands into one of my scores to absouletly no effect. And the "keyswitch plugin" for pizzacato doesn't work either. What am I missing?

2. How does one build their own ensemble? I can see where you can take a number of samples and load them into a single "player", but Sibelius seems to only allow a staff to playback one slot of that player. So how am I to for example build a first violin section that plays back in the Violin I staff of Sibelius?

3. What are some good basic C1 paramaters for the various dynamics? When I set ~C1, 76 for all of my instruments to play forte, its ear splitting!!

4. would anyone be willing to listen to a partial file of one of my orchestral pieces, and perhaps offer suggestions for playback improvement? right now I just don't feel like I'm utilizing the software fully.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    MsP
    Matt,
    With regards to #3 - when you load the instruments into GPO, have you done anything the Volume control in the Kontakt player? That can be a problem - the default volume is good, unless you want an instrument to stand out, as in a concerto.

#2 - Go to the Garritan hoempage, and look at the tutorials - there are a number of them that will help you on your way.

#4 Why not post it on the Demos page with your request for feedback, there are many helpful ears on the fourm.

R. Pearl

Hey, Matssound!! Welcome to the nuthouse!!!

Also, with reguards to #3, under 'options' in the kontakt player, make sure that the option (something like) 'respond to volume and pan events' isn't turned on. Some programs send a messge of 127 volume if that's what the track volume is set to. Turning off this option will eliminate that possibility.

Hope this helps,
    -Chris

Thanks for your advice guys. It really helps.

A few followups. I found the KS combo patches, but I can't make them NOT do a tremolo. How do I get them to play just legato. (Those ~O commands elsewhere in the forum don't seem to do anything ).

Also the forum won't let me post attachments so I can't post my work. What should I do to be allowed to do that?

Thanks so much for helping a total newbie,
    MsP

First of all, make sure you've got the latest update. The Player should be version 1.1.8.3 and the library version 2.0. You should get it directly from NI (17MB), since it's apparently still the faulty version on Garritan.com. You get legato from "C" in the KeySwitch octave (full octave imediately below lowest note of instrument).

You will have to upload your music to your personal website or one of the free hosting sites like Soundclick, and then link to it.

Gracias Otra Vez Amigos!

I downloaded the new version. (Which for anyone's future reference does not have the Arco keyswitch colored yellow in the first violin KS, but it still works), AND I will post some files to my website.

MsP

The arco KeySwitch (C) should certainly be coloured yellow, if you clicked "Display mapping on keyboard" in the player options (this button should be lime green).

Go Back to forum