• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Fix for Stuck Notes?

Share/Bookmark

Fix for Stuck Notes?

Has anyone determined if there has been a fix for the stuck notes problem with Gigastudio 3? I revamped my setup from being 2 Giga 2.5 machines to one Giga 2.5 and one Giga 3 and I love it, except that my Giga 3 machine is CONSTANTLY getting stuck midi notes. It is driving me crazy and rendering my setup almost completely useless.

I am using MidiOverLan, but I have been for years without any problems. For anyone else who had this problem, did you find a fix? I haven't upgraded to the latest Giga 3 release yet (I'm on 3.04), but I will if it fixes this issue.

Re: Fix for Stuck Notes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_H
    Has anyone determined if there has been a fix for the stuck notes problem with Gigastudio 3? I revamped my setup from being 2 Giga 2.5 machines to one Giga 2.5 and one Giga 3 and I love it, except that my Giga 3 machine is CONSTANTLY getting stuck midi notes. It is driving me crazy and rendering my setup almost completely useless.

I am using MidiOverLan, but I have been for years without any problems. For anyone else who had this problem, did you find a fix? I haven't upgraded to the latest Giga 3 release yet (I'm on 3.04), but I will if it fixes this issue.
    Weird. There was a stuck notes problem with 3.01 to 3.03 that had to do with program changes, but that was fixed in 3.04.

I use Sonar on my Giga computer and Sibelius from my laptop via MOL+. I haven't done much with Sib lately, but when I have, I haven't had any stuck notes with 3.04 or 3.10.

There is a MIDI monitor in GS3. You might play some notes, until one sticks, then check the monitor to see if Giga thinks it received the note off message or not.

I wonder if you have some rogue process that occasionally burdens your CPU, so it misses MIDI messages. You might try killing the processes that aren't core to your system, Giga or MOL and see if that helps.

-JF

I think it's the midi over lan interface, and don't think it has gone away, not by 3.04 anyway. Am using 3.1 but not driven over ethernet.

After suffering with stuck notes a lot I finally changed things to put my heaviest midi traffic on ports connected to gigastudio either by hardware or directly through the gigastudio internal ports (shared sequencer on same computer). The internal ports never have stuck notes, the hardware ports almost never. One thing that reduces the problem is to spread the load among channels: not everything on port 1 channel 1.

On an aside, I've recently been using kontakt2 more heavily with midi over ethernet -- and began to get stuck notes just like the gigastudio3 ones! deja vu...

It is possible that a sequencer (sonar, e.g.) that sends velocity 0 instead of note off events is more prone to stuck notes?

I had a stuck notes problem but it was over regular MIDI. The fix for me was to turn off the audio ADAT INPUTS into my gigasampler machine (which in my case is a WaveCenter/PCI card). Do you have audio inputs enabled in your audio interface?

tcovem, right, that is another factor -- the gigastudio that had stuck notes also had spdif audio input to its sound card -- though my recent k2 stuck notes were just midi, no audio input.

Turning off the audio inputs (unchecking them) in gigastudio settings is what fixed it for me. I was getting the stuck notes whether or not I was actually using the inputs, as long as they were turned on. But maybe that's what you mean, Gug. According to Frontier, the makers of the WaveCenter/PCI I use, this is a GIGA bug not a driver problem (but of course they'd say it's not their fault ;-) and that Tascam is working on it. Of course, if that's the case, I do wish Tascam would let users know about it, especially when I emailed them about it directly (no response from Tascam support in over a week).

Hmmm, I don't have any audio inputs listed (System Settings->Hardware), so I don't think that is it.

Perhaps the problem is that since Giga 3 can load so much more into it, I am now sending a ton more midi data across MidiOverLan. It does seem to stick notes more often in the areas that have a heavier amount of MIDI notes.

I checked with the Gigastudio MIDI monitor--it is claiming that it never receives the off events for the notes that get stuck.

So I guess some of the signs are pointing to a MidiOverLan failure? That is unfortunate, since it is so convenient. Do you guys think I should move to a hardware interface? Is there any hardware solution that isn't going to run me $600 or so? I imagine I'm going to have to buy an 8 channel MIDI out for my sequencer and an 8 MIDI in for my giga machine. Sigh.

I guess as an interim I can use some of the hardware midi ports I have to take some of the load off of MidiOverLan and see if that helps.

I think MOL is dropping the ball, but isn't necessarily at fault. I think your computer is just very busy at times. The fix is to optimize your PC. There is a full list of tweaks in the following thread. I use the videoguys tweaks:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36350

-JF

Hmmm. Well it seems that MidiOverLan IS the problem. I don't know if that is due to the machine not being fully optomized or not.

I put the two busiest channels onto a hardware MIDI interface, and neither of those channels are getting stuck notes anymore. I'm still seeing stuck notes on the MidiOverLan channels, even though there is not nearly as much going over those channels now.

So it looks like I'll be dumping MidiOverLan and going the hardware route. Again, what do people recommend for large # of MIDI in/out channels? I've heard over and over again that USB MIDI is bad and should be avoided. So what hardware should I be looking at?

Yes, USB MIDI is bad. I havn't heard a better option though. Someone said firewire, but I don't know of any firewire MIDI boxes actually. Sure, MIDI as part of an audio interface but that means paying for the interface. I already got one of them things ;-). All this to say, I'd love to know the answer too!

Go Back to forum