• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Simplicity

Share/Bookmark

Simplicity

A few days ago, Terry Dwyer commented on the importance of simplicity, and this is my response. In this case, it works, I think.

To look:
    Sequoia Moon
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=72001

To listen:
    Sequoia Moon (mp3)
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/7/2/0/72001.mp3

Some problems were encountered with the flute because of the reverse action of the velocity slider.

Richard

Re: Simplicity

This piece certainly has the virtues of a simple surface.But underneath the hood all kinds of clever canonic devices are driving the piece forward.It has a very haunting quality.A nocturnal moonlit forest,at once tranquil,but full of unseen activity.
    I enjoyed it immensely.
    regards

Thumbs up Re: Simplicity

Yes Richard, it's a good sample of simplicity, over a structure. The structure is quite complex, but the flow of music is anyway natural...

Interesting!

The flute performance sounds very realistic. Impressive!

Richard,

Very nice. I second (or third) the reaction to the flute: nicely realized.
    One question - is it meant to be a quiet piece? I had to turn my speakers way up to hear it. Or, is it a meant as a kind of murmuring-on-the-edge-of-consciousness kind of work?

The writing is very good. I think I can see, now, why the importing of tuplets in MIDI files into Sibelius is so critical for you (I read that board, as well .

Nice work.

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Richard,

Very nice. I second (or third) the reaction to the flute: nicely realized.
    One question - is it meant to be a quiet piece? I had to turn my speakers way up to hear it. Or, is it a meant as a kind of murmuring-on-the-edge-of-consciousness kind of work?

The writing is very good. I think I can see, now, why the importing of tuplets in MIDI files into Sibelius is so critical for you (I read that board, as well .

Nice work.

R. Pearl
    Well, it is meant to be very quiet, but I suspect my record level could have been slightly higher.

Thanks for you comments, and thanks to the others also. It is always good to hear how my music is received -- especially if the comments are favorable!

Richard

Chillingly beautiful! I'm slowly becoming your biggest fan , and I've got to admit, I'm not even a fan of "atonal" type music ... As a flautist, I love the lyrical character of the flute in this piece. Although, I do think the average flautist will find it VERY hard to play. Those phrases are very long ....

THanks for another wonderful piece.

Kind regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Chillingly beautiful! I'm slowly becoming your biggest fan , and I've got to admit, I'm not even a fan of "atonal" type music ... As a flautist, I love the lyrical character of the flute in this piece. Although, I do think the average flautist will find it VERY hard to play. Those phrases are very long ....

THanks for another wonderful piece.

Kind regards

LouisD
    Thanks, Louis. I worried about the phrase length quite a bit. I think a breathing place can be found more or less mid-way of most phrases. At least, I so hope. When I played brass regularly nearly 60 years ago, I was rather long winded, and in more recent years, expanded my lung endurance by swimming a mile or more a day for a few years. I had planned to swim the Golden Gate on my 50th birthday, but asthma, the family heritage, struck, and I was blown out of the water. This background of good capacity sometimes makes me forget that not everyone is so endowed.

Richard

Very smooth and nocturn-like, quietly beautiful,

but I would not label this as simple! Far from that. Maybe the choice of instrumentation and genre is simple, but the writing is expressiove and subtly evolving.

But I do have a general comment/question for others. This is a long flute melody and I definitely hear this "sample sameness" problem - there is an almost unconcious sensation that the same sample set gets played over and over again - nothing obvious like the machine gun effect for rapidly repeated notes but something similar but on the very edge of perception. This really bothers me and makes it difficult to relisten to some pieces. Do others hear this too?

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    Very smooth and nocturn-like, quietly beautiful,

but I would not label this as simple! Far from that. Maybe the choice of instrumentation and genre is simple, but the writing is expressiove and subtly evolving.

But I do have a general comment/question for others. This is a long flute melody and I definitely hear this "sample sameness" problem - there is an almost unconcious sensation that the same sample set gets played over and over again - nothing obvious like the machine gun effect for rapidly repeated notes but something similar but on the very edge of perception. This really bothers me and makes it difficult to relisten to some pieces. Do others hear this too?
    I think you're right. A real flute would produce countless variations in tone colour in a piece like this, and in that respect it is quite obviously not real. Also the vibrato becomes quite predictable and unvaried. But in my humble opinion, the GPO flute sample is simply the best I've heard from ALL the other libraries, even the way expensive ones....some of them sound like overblown sewrage pipes , my beginner students produce a better tone .

Kind Regards

LouisD

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast