• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: NTFS or FAT32 file systems for audio?

Share/Bookmark

OT: NTFS or FAT32 file systems for audio?

Hi...I have finally upgraded computers and operating systems from Windows 98SE to Windows XP. So is the new NTFS a better file system for audio than the older FAT32? I think I can also still connect my old USB 2.0 external hard drive configured as a FAT32 to my new Windows XP computer but would it be better to convert my external hard drive to NTFS as well? Thanks for any information.

Re: OT: NTFS or FAT32 file systems for audio?

From what I have been reading online, the old NTFS and FAT32 issues that used to be a consideration is no longer considered a problem, or worth bothering, and you will get as good a performance, if not better, using NTFS. Also, the NTFS file system is more stable and has better functionality.

I used to use ONLY FAT32 for recording, but based on this recent knowledge, I only use NTFS now and have no problems.
    If you use NTFS, make sure your format 32K or 64K allocation sizes. For sample drives, I utilize 64K chunks, as this reduces cycles. And from what I have heard from other folks on the forums, this larger size shows dramatic improvement in sample swapping from memory.

I wonder, is the difference between FAT32 and NTFS 64k pronounced enough to warrant reformatting the sample drives on all computers? I'm not having any big issues at the moment, but if the improvements are substantial enough to notice, I would be willing to dedicate some time to that.

Or is it not worth the immediate effort, and best to just use NTFS and larger clusters in the future when drives are added/swapped, etc? (specifically, I'd be reformatting 6 GS3 sample drives on slave machines to use the bigger clusters.)

You don't have to re-format, you can convert.

I doubt you have to worry too much. Its a matter of security mostly. What is important is using 32K or 64K on your drives - whether its FAT32 or NTFS. 32K for recording 64k definately for samples.

I believe FAT32 will convert nicely, but NTFS will not convert back to FAT32.

I stil use FAT32 for my DAW

Hi Mega,

I use NTFS with 32K clusters with no trouble. I don't plan to change the cluster size until I upgrade to new drives some time down the road.

Cheers,
    Glider

I heard NTFS is better regarding fragmenting. FAT 32 is more sensitive to fragmenting. That means NTFS needs to defragmnet less often.

I would recommend NTFS.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Will an NTFS drive be able to be read by a Mac? If ever you want use the drive to take work to another studio that is mac based, you may need to think about this.

My experience is that your drive will need to be formatted to FAT32 if you want Mac/PC compatibility. This was certainly the case for me a year ago.

Cheers,
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

I thought there was a SUN product to allow drive mapping between LINUX / UNIX platforms and MSloth?

I don't know if drive mapping is stil and issue with MAC's?

Go Back to forum