• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga Violin?

Share/Bookmark

Giga Violin?

Why isn't anyone talking about this?

I saw it mentioned in the VI Magazine and I immediately started wondering about the possibilities of this product.

My understanding is that (theoretically in my mind) the string/bow sound is all that is recorded and the body of the violin is an impulse added to the sound. This allows a small footprint library to carry the sound of 7 different violins through IR processing. This is a very ingenious idea. It is kind of the way an amp works, no? Different amps create different sounds from the same guitar. So this is no different. I can imagine the trade off being the CPU hungriness of the convolution processing. No matter though, this is still exciting.

Am I right in my thinking? Is there any more news about this or can anyone else shed more light on what its doing?

Banned

Re: Giga Violin?

What I want to know is whether they created those impulses by firing pistols at the violin bodies...

- Stefan

They've quietly showed this at the last couple trade shows and it sounds pretty amazing.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Why isn't anyone talking about this?

I saw it mentioned in the VI Magazine and I immediately started wondering about the possibilities of this product.

My understanding is that (theoretically in my mind) the string/bow sound is all that is recorded and the body of the violin is an impulse added to the sound. This allows a small footprint library to carry the sound of 7 different violins through IR processing. This is a very ingenious idea. It is kind of the way an amp works, no? Different amps create different sounds from the same guitar. So this is no different. I can imagine the trade off being the CPU hungriness of the convolution processing. No matter though, this is still exciting.

Am I right in my thinking? Is there any more news about this or can anyone else shed more light on what its doing?
    It sounds like a rather fascinating development. The CPU tradeoff could get ugly, but perhaps not - other instruments that use built-in convolution have not been particularly burdensome. Then again, this new violin would be using it on an unprecedented scale...
    Too bad no sound examples are available as yet... hopefully it will be as good as has been intimated - and not too pricey..

It could be an interesting option for chamber or divisi string writing.

I remember seeing a demo of it from a video showing off the (at the time) upcoming 3.1 update (I'm pretty sure it was from musikmesse). I remember it sounding quite good.... and that was the last I've heard of it.
    Tim

The cool thing about this product is that real-time, user controlled slides and vibrato should sound very realistic.

I wonder if they could couple the body resonance with ambience. It would be very cool to have a string quartet done this way that would be able to emulate the bodies and place a string quartet in various rooms with only four GigaPulse instances. String quartets require little polyphony, so this would be doable by most A64 and recent P4 machines

Well, cheers to the developer who copies the idea for Kontakt.

Here's the musikmesse video link:
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/messe05_tascam_giga3.mov
    the giga violin is at the end.

Personally, going by this demo, personally I find a lot more potential in synful, though... it's great that these violins take less room, but they still just don't sound real to me. Missing some essential character of the instrument... not in the sound, but in the expression and variation.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I wonder if they could couple the body resonance with ambience. It would be very cool to have a string quartet done this way that would be able to emulate the bodies and place a string quartet in various rooms with only four GigaPulse instances. String quartets require little polyphony, so this would be doable by most A64 and recent P4 machines
    Sure -- you just have to cascade the impulses. See the wonderful new manual that was just posted about! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tcovem
    Sure -- you just have to cascade the impulses. See the wonderful new manual that was just posted about! :-)
    Yes,definitely. There are some pictures of Gigaviolin Gigapulse presets. It's very interesting
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Go Back to forum