• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga 3.0 Slow as Molasses

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Giga 3.0 Slow as Molasses

I've used Giga 160 in the past and have not had this problem. This only occurs with Giga 3.0. There is considerable latency in Giga 3.2, and playback does not seem to lock (speeds up and slows down). I do not have this problem with my Korg X5. I believe I have followed the set up instructions adaquetly, and have disabled hyperthreading. I have to adjust Giga instruments to -126 to match metronome.I have emailed Tascam twice, with nothing but automated responses from them. I am totally frustrated and thinking about switching back to the Giga 160. Here is my setup:

733 Quicksilver Mac, upgraded to dual 1 Gig chips.
    OS Panther 10.3
    1152 MB RAM
    Maxtor 40 Gig 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    Maxtor 40 Gig Ultra ATA133, 8 MB Cache 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    DIGI001 & Layla 24 Sound Cards
    Midisport 4X4
    PTLE 6.2
    Cubase SL

P4 2.8 GHz
    1000 MB RAM
    OS Windows XP
    Hard Drives:
    Maxtor 20 Gig 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    Maxtor Ultra ATA 133, 60 Gig, 8 MB Cache 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    Western Digital SETA

Gina 20 sound card
    Midisport 4X4
    Cubase 5.2
    Gigastudio 3.0

Keyboard: Korg X5

Midisport 4x4 out to Midisport 4x4 in
    Last edited by larbabe; 07-25-2005 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Misinformation

Re: Giga 3.0 Slow as Molasses

You're way below the horsepower needed to run GS3. A 2.8 GHz CPU (or better)and 2GB of RAM would give you the performance you desire. If I were you I'd put 160 back on that PC. I'm surprised you can even open GS3 up with a 1.5GHz processor. Best wishes, jc

The 1.5 GHz processor should work, but not with any GigaPulse processing at all. For instance, don't even bother opeing GigaPiano II or Larry Seyer's drums.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by yankeezulu
    You're way below the horsepower needed to run GS3. A 2.8 GHz CPU (or better)and 2GB of RAM would give you the performance you desire. If I were you I'd put 160 back on that PC. I'm surprised you can even open GS3 up with a 1.5GHz processor. Best wishes, jc
    Oops - This is old information. I have since upgraded my pc to 2.8 Gig P4. Also, I've added a Western Digital SETA hard drive, where I store my gig files. The Gigapulse is located on the 2nd hard drive (as recommended by Tascam).

Thumbs up I solved the problem!

My Echo Gina Sound card did not have the most recent driver update. The latest one which is still a beta had the special update for Giga 3.0. When I adjusted the buffer to the lowest number, it worked like a charm. Now, there is no latency at all. My advice: Always make sure you have the latest drivers!

Except when the latest drivers cause conflicts...as mine seemed to do with the latest drivers for the Frontier WaveCenter PCI card!

...But, generally, yes, it is a good idea to TRY new drivers. Though I'd be especially wary of a beta...

1.8ghz is not that bad for GS3.
    Digital AudionetworX

In 06-30-2005 Musikman said:

Quote Originally Posted by musikman
    I finally decided to make a test on GS3 and K2 my self, and the results did not follow the common sense that GS3 has superior performance than K2, both in RAM management and voice output.
    SNIP
    Computer: Athlon XP 1700 – 1 GB Ram – 120 Gb Seagate Barracuda exclusive for samples, newly formatted drive (I know, it´s an old computer, but the point is testing performance, right?)
    Audionetworx replied:

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    sorry man, your system is so outdated that it is actually saying nothing
    And then Musikman also said:

Quote Originally Posted by musikman
    Look, but I´ve just repeated the test in a Sempron 2800 and the results were similar. Besides, even if it is a processor bug (wich I never heard of!!!) kontakt2 still outperforms GS3 in my system, so It doesn´t change the results.
    And AudionetworkX makes his desperate move:

@ musikman i thin i know your last nick here ;-)
    didnt we had this discussion again 2-3 month ago???
    (WHAT THE HECK DID THIS HAS TO DO WITH THE INITIAL DISCUSSION ANYWAY???)

and again:

@musikmann and resident
    why do i think you are both the same person and you had a couple of other names here?
    (WHY ARE YOU SO PARANOID, WE ARE BETWEEN FRIENDS HERE!!!)

And now in 7-25-2005 yankeezulu said:

But now, AudionetworX thinks that a 1.8 ghz system is ok for giga:

1.8ghz is not that bad for GS3.
    So, wich AudionetworX should we trust? The first or the second? Come on man... I will stick with the second one.

Nothing personal, it´s just that this is a perfect example on how people tend to be irracional when they get emotionaly involved in a discussion, and how the truth always appears with time. Sometimes, when people don´t like what they are hearing, they try to destroy the person who is speaking instead of trying to destroy the arguments. But most of the time, they only get to destroy their own reputation.

Go Back to forum