• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Composer Channel "July 4th" Show

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Composer Channel "July 4th" Show

Hey, folks.

We're going into the studio this weekend to do more shows with Charlie and Deirdre, and Gary & I thought it would be cool to do a show featuring the July 4th contest entries. It occurs to me that since this wasn't limited to those with Composer Channel profiles, we may not have any info on you or the song. So, if July 4th song is in the list that Gary has the voting poll running on, please reply to this thread with the following:

• Real name
    • Where you live
    • Comments about your song
    • Comments about you and / or your music in general
    • Anything else we should know!
    That'll give them something to work with when they're doing the show. We're recording this weekend, so please get your comments in soon!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Composer Channel "July 4th" Show

Hi Christopher,

Here's the info for my entry:

Title: That Jonny, What a Yankee
    Composed by Jonathon Cox
    Nelsonville, Ohio (Southeasten Corner of the State)

I wanted to write a piece using a bunch of tunes from the early days of the country. In it, you will hear snippets of the Star Spangeld Banner, When Johnny Comes Marching Home, Dixie, The World Turned Upside Down, Chester and several others.

This tune was composed using Sibelius 3 and GPO Studio. It was a last minute whim and entry. I wrote it in about 4 hours. I learned alot about the best way to use keyswitches within Sibelius and made extensive use of the legato and cres/decres plugins available from www. garritan.com

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Smile Re: Composer Channel "July 4th" Show

Where I live: Faskrudsfjordur, Iceland
    Comments on the song: I decided to arrange the USA national anthem, because Gary was hosting GPO 4th of July competition. The arrangement is for big symphonic orchestra and pipe organ. In the arrangement I try to paint a picture of the words with the orchestral texture and also the tempo.
    Comments on me and music: I think you have some info... if not please let me know.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Hey, folks.

We're going into the studio this weekend to do more shows with Charlie and Deirdre, and Gary & I thought it would be cool to do a show featuring the July 4th contest entries. It occurs to me that since this wasn't limited to those with Composer Channel profiles, we may not have any info on you or the song. So, if July 4th song is in the list that Gary has the voting poll running on, please reply to this thread with the following:

• Real name
    • Where you live
    • Comments about your song
    • Comments about you and / or your music in general
    • Anything else we should know!
    That'll give them something to work with when they're doing the show. We're recording this weekend, so please get your comments in soon!
    Jack Cannon here. I live in Carmichael, California.

I am an arranger/composer that creates music mostly for symphony performance. I have been fortunate, to date, to have had seven scores performed by a live symphony. Great satisfaction pay for all the work that goes into creating a composition and developing a conductor's score and player parts. Knowing it was done by just one person is a real motivator to keep doing it.............

The songs included in my July 4th Medley were selected for the following reasons: First, before our Country became independent, we were under the control of the British and their anthem, "God Save the King" is one of my favorite national songs. Segueing from that into "Yankee Doodle" stands for our stand during the Revolutionary War and succeeding independence. Next, "America the Beautiful" represents the great structure, resources and beauty of Our Land. Lastly, as a citizen, my love for my Country expressed in the song, "This is My Country." The closing is a return to the idea of our independence theme and then two surprise chords to close the medley.
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

"Fife & Drum Medley" (alternate title: Attack of the C'lonials)
    David Lovrien
    Plano, Texas

About the piece:
    This is the Finale playback of a piece written for a July 4th performance by the Dallas Wind Symphony Fife & Drum Corps. It is a traditional and very straight-forward arrangement. No doubt I could have tweaked things to make the GPO realization more lifelike, but the bottom line is that it provided an excellent prototype that made the rehearsals and performance easier, which is what playback is all about for me.

The performance consisted of two groups - Group A was three authentic fifes and one Colonial rope snare on the ground level; Group B was 10 piccolos, rope snare, bass drum and flag corps on the mezzanine level above them. For GPO playback I used differently pitched snares and detuned the piccolos a bit to simulate my expectations. I also cranked up the reverb because the piece was performed in a very live marbled foyer.

About my compositions:
    I write mainly music for winds; my works are published by Cimarron Music.

Joaz =Joe Cavanagh
    Lives = Somerset.UK (AKA Avalon)
    I deemed it unsuitable for a foreigner to tackle the ultra-patriotic American Repetoire.(Although I have always liked the Star Spangled Banner as a piece of Music).So I chose something from American folklore.The refrain of "Go Down Moses"....."Let My People Go....." resonates nicely with the Independence day theme,and as the prize is a Jazz-Library,it seemed appropriate to arrange the song in a Jazz idiom.
    I have a Father-in-Law,and Brother-in-Law,who live in Chicago.A Sister-in-Law who lives in Bloomington Ind.And another Brother-in-Law living in New York,so I have many ties to the States.
    I must confess to being just a tad uneasy about Patriotic Music.American,British or anybody else.But it is important to celebrate the great cultural achievements of our nations.And in my opinion,Jazz music was the Cultural achievement of the 20th Century.
    I have been a Composer/Performer for 25 years,and I hope to be good at it one day.
    Great work Chris on the Composer channel.I hope the new show goes well.
    regards

I have a profile on the channel but I'll post here as its a central point for these works.

Mark Leneker
    NYC

Gary's request for patriotic songs was bolstered for me by the fact that I was going to get a 21st floor balcony view of the 2005 Macy's fireworks.

The piece is basically one motif repeated and built upon. It reflects--I hope--
    the best ideas of liberty and freedom which led to our independence, brought the world to our shores depsite often perilous journeys, and still can inspire others in their struggle to better their lives today.

It came together quite quickly and its always nice to use the piccolo trumpet which sounds so good on GPO.

About me: Not a professional here at all, I do have some past musical background, but basically write what I hear in my head. GPO has been very liberating and exciting to help realize the ideas in ways I never could before.

Name:
    Robert Myers

About the song:
    "Estacada Daybreak" may not seem a typically patriotic song, but it speaks to the tranquil and peaceful fruits of Independence. The simple piano phrases intimate the slow rise of the sun, while the melodic voice of a single oboe reflects the quiet found in a clearing in the woods on a lazy July morning outside of Estacada, Oregon, where I spent the holiday weekend this year.

About me:
    This is my first composition using the GPO Library, and is also the first piece written using a keyboard controller. I've been writing music for the last year and a half, using the F.L. Studio software package. I've been interested in creating Electronic music since I was a teenager in the late 70's. I was inspired by the work of Jean Michel Jarre, Brian Eno and Larry Fast, as well as other artists. It was only recently that the tools to pursue my desire to compose and realize work in this vein, came within a price range I could afford. The GPO Library is a welcome bonus in this pursuit. It allows me to use natural-sounding instruments in a way I never believed possible for one person using one, relatively inexpensive, computer system.

---------------------------------

Christopher -- I realize the volume level of the MP3 I submitted to Gary is pretty low. Would it be a good idea to e-mail you another copy that has a better level for you to work with in preparing your show?

My name is Daniel Powers (I use "Daniel" professionally, but feel free to call me Dan if you want). I live in Terre Haute Indiana.

"Washington's March" is my transcription of a piece written by an anonymous American composer around 1784. There's a tradition that the piece was composed by Francis Hopkinson, who in addition to being a talented amateur musician, was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. However, there's no documentation of this. The composer officially remains anonymous.

I did this transcription in 2002, and it's been performed by several orchestras. I did the GPO version for the patriotic music contest, finishing it on July 13, 2005.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Hi there... My name is Paul Radelat and I did an arrangement of Yankee Doodle.... I live in Manhattan, New York City for those that don't live there... I originally set out to do a traditional big band arrangement, but as I worked on it more and more, I got a lot of different stylistic ideas, and basically the project became eclectic and comical... I just went with the flow, and the biggest challenge was how to make classical brass sound jazzier... Since I just got GPO, it taught me more on how to work the program... I had fun participating among other GPO'ers, if that noun even exists...

Go Back to forum