• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Black Grand and Finnish Gospel!

Share/Bookmark

Black Grand and Finnish Gospel!

I've got this song from Seppo Jarvinen where he uses the Black Grand Close perspectiv for something I suppose you could call Finnish gospel.
    Being from Sweden, I've no idea of what the songs about, but I think it's a religous text.
    Anyway, great playing I think!

Here's the song:

Eijaelija
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: Black Grand and Finnish Gospel!

Hello Worra:

How's is the Black Grand for Kontakt 2 progressing?

Thanks,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by wolfetho
    Hello Worra:

How's is the Black Grand for Kontakt 2 progressing?

Thanks,

Tom
    My sentiments, exactly. I can't get it to work right in K2.

RJames:

Are you having problems with the releases of the Black Grand in K2?
    That seems to be my problem. Some of the releases seem to sustain longer while others cut off.

Tom

I haven't gotten that far. It loads itself totally into RAM even with DFD on. It works fine in K1. But it loads 800+M into K2. Unacceptable, 130M into K1.

Wierd! I'm loading the K1 version into K2 right now, and it takes only about 275 Mb (24 bit version DFD buffer set to 60Kb).
    Anyway, I'll upload K2 nki-files to our site in n hour or so.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Here's a link to where you can download the K2 nki files:
    http://www.sampletekk.com/updates.php
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Nope. These files don't work any better than the K1 files.

I've emailed you a few times now. With a 3-4 month lapse on any response.

I'll bet if NI had these samples it could be figured out in a minute. I'm not lying to you. I've been troubleshooting programs for 20 years.

I'm on a Mac, Dual 2 GHz G5, 3.5G ram.

Its loading the whole sample set. Takes 15 minutes and all my RAM. Makes Black Grand unuseable in K2.

What is strange is that once I've taken the 15 minutes to load it into K2 and then PURGE the samples, then RELOAD the samples, it loads only into DFD as it should and loads in less than a minute. So it can work properly but first you have to wait for the full load, purge and reload.

You are on a PC or a different Mac.

I solved a similar problem in 10 minutes on the phone with NI tech support in California. (Storm Drum was turning off DFD because of some interim programming)

K2 "says" (is displayed in the Memory listing) that it is using 275M. But it took 15 minutes to load, the Mac Activity monitor says that Kontakt2 is using 847.25M.

Testing more carefully, purging and reloading may not be freeing up any memory. Activity monitor now says 855.__M. So, maybe its just seeing the samples still sitting in RAM.

If you talk to the big guys at NI, they'll just tell you not to look at the activity monitor because it is unreliable.

BUT, why does it take 15 minutes to load into K2 and 4 minutes into K1??

So, even though Worra has been kind and sympathetic (3-4 months ago, it still doesn't work in K2 on my Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by rJames
    Nope. These files don't work any better than the K1 files.

Hi.

Weird!
    I loaded the "Black Grand Close 1 K2" patch, (24 bit version). It took about 4 minutes.
    Kontakt used 349736 kB with nothing loaded and after loading the patch, memory usage was 645664kB, so it seems that this patch uses 295928kB or 296Mb. According to Kontakt, 275Mb are used.
    What are your DFD settings?
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Worra, belive me. Its not about DFD settings.

I can put a full template of EW Gold and 4 choirs from EW choirs onto my computer using K2.

I can have a full template of orch (same description) with the Black Grand(K1) with plenty of room left.

I have spent olts of time optimizing Kontakt (even though NI didn't give anyone a clue as to how to do that).

K2 global options. 329 simultaneous voices. 63.77M
    (this option allows for less voices but also adds less overhead per K2 instance)

Instrument options. I set all my instruments (coming off an internal SATA drive) to 30Kb. It works. Default is 60Kb but I have a fast Mac.

Difference must be the code used to make the Mac AU for Kontakt2. There have always been issues (usually fixed) due to dual processor computers, with NI products.

Do you have any other customers with the 16 bit version and a setup like mine?

Every time I mention this problem, we go back to the beginning. What are your DFD settings?

I'm resigned to using Black Grand only in K1.

I wish that someone would actually look at the problem that I have described in detail over 5 times to various entities.

Go Back to forum