• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Because You Knew (almost a love song?)

Share/Bookmark

Because You Knew (almost a love song?)

Hi Folks,

Finally!!! Something came out of me this afternoon (and no I don't mean in a disgusting way ) I sat down to write at 1pm and I just got finished. I tried to think of a way to describe this one to make you think "hey yeah, that sounds cool, I'll immediately download it" but I'm not much good at marketing

Those of you who know me probably know what to expect; This one is moderately up-tempo and something of a formal dance; quite a sweet piece. There are a couple of nice themes and some sparkly bits I hope you'll like.

The only compositional goal for this piece was not to rely on the piano for harmonic fill-in, and although the piano is there, it's by no means a crutch. Anyway, enough blathering on, here's the link:

John Hawksley - Because You Knew.mp3 (5.7 MB)

I hope you enjoy it, folks.

Oh before I go, here's the quote which inspired the title:

"When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew."
    -Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Enjoy
    -John

Libs: GPO, LOP, VE-RD1

Re: Beacuse You Knew (almost a love song?)

John, this is beautiful

The title fits very well. It's a very gentle and tender song (and yes, a love song IMO). It has quite a fun and romantic feel to it - like new love. Excellent work as always!!

Steph

Very nice, John 'awksley. Excellent writing. Your subtle key changes are a delight to my ears and your orchestration is top-notch!

My best to you (even though you write circles around me).

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Maestro;

Thanks for having a listen, I do value your opinion greatly. I did indeed try to keep the middle sections as tender as I could; everything's down at the 'pp' end of its range and the strings are con sordino so stop them being overbearing. Glad you thought it was playful, it was supposed to be a nice fun piece with some good big (or big-ish moments... not overbearing.

Thanks again, very much appreciated!
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    John, this is beautiful

The title fits very well. It's a very gentle and tender song (and yes, a love song IMO). It has quite a fun and romantic feel to it - like new love. Excellent work as always!!

Steph
    Last edited by John Hawksley; 07-25-2005 at 02:49 PM. Reason: strings, not trings ;)

By the beard of Larry Alexander!

I'm glad you liked it, my friend; I am working on key changes at the moment, but I never stray to far away from the tonic so I can get back easily Thanks for the compliments on the orchestration too, much appreciated from someone of your stature!!

I don't at all write rings round you, that's rubbish! I am totally in awe of your stuff - I was listening to Candyland again the other day, it's all I can do to enjoy it, I can't even analyse it, it's so captivating. And that's just typical of your stuff. And so prolific!! So no fretting Larry I'm a long way behind ya

-John

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Very nice, John 'awksley. Excellent writing. Your subtle key changes are a delight to my ears and your orchestration is top-notch!

My best to you (even though you write circles around me).

Larry A.

Thumbs up Re: Beacuse You Knew (almost a love song?)

John, what a great piece!!!!
    I really enjoy it.
    I was deeply busy to write something new to post, and fortunately I didn't miss your beautiful song.
    It simply lovely!!!
    It is a sort of love hymn!!!
    This is the music I prefer.
    Also you make sound you libraries extrimely well.
    You have only my congrats!!!!
    Melody harmony, all simply beautiful.
    Keep up the great work.
    My best to you,
    Roberto

I enjoyed your piece very much.It has a lot of charm.It is nice to hear these sounds at the pp end of the scale,They are still very expressive.
    Great stuff.
    regards

Ditto to everything said

Fantastically delightful.. A very playful work

The graceful change in new voice and gentle rhythmic flow create a sense of montage.

Bravo!

Thumbs up Re: Beacuse You Knew (almost a love song?)

Yes it sounds like a love comedy soundtrack, light and joyfull, with energy and tenderness.

If it was your aim, then mission acomplished. Well done...

Hi John,

How delightful. With some troubles that I'm going through at this time, this is such a lovely piece and really helps brighten my spirit.

Thank you,

Karl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast