• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Special Piano Discount!

Share/Bookmark

Special Piano Discount!

Now you can get one of SampleTekk's pianos for half price!
    We have lowered the price on all DirectDownload pianos with 50%!
    That means that you can get the Steiny D, Steiny D Close and WG Jr for just $40 each or the great Rain Piano for $25!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: Special Piano Discount!

Nice! Couldn't you also offer the black and white grand as direct download now that they were already out at the market for some time? (Perhaps you could separate the different perspectives (white grand, white sister, black grand close/player perspective/ambient) into independent products so download size shouldn't be a big problem in times of fast dsl-connections and flatrates) This direct download concept is THE unique selling point of Sampletekk in my opinion (already bought the Steiny D, the WG Jr, the Rainpiano and the Harpichord that way, the Steiny D and the WG Jr samples are my current favourites for live playing and in daily use.)

Greetings,
    NothanUmber

Quote Originally Posted by NothanUmber
    Nice! Couldn't you also offer the black and white grand as direct download now that they were already out at the market for some time? (Perhaps you could separate the different perspectives (white grand, white sister, black grand close/player perspective/ambient) into independent products so download size shouldn't be a big problem in times of fast dsl-connections and flatrates) This direct download concept is THE unique selling point of Sampletekk in my opinion (already bought the Steiny D, the WG Jr, the Rainpiano and the Harpichord that way, the Steiny D and the WG Jr samples are my current favourites for live playing and in daily use.)

Greetings,
    NothanUmber
    Hi.

Thanks for the suggestion. Problem with selling White Grand and Black Grand as Direct Downloads are that they are so big, 6-7 Gb isn't something that you download easily.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

About direct downloading large files:

there are several hosters that provide you 10Mbit bandwidth per server and more and eg 1000GB of traffic per month for prices as little as $99/month.

For example I installed serveral servers for other companies that need high bandwidth (like streaming video content etc)

http://www.ev1servers.net/

works very well.

Let's do the math:

1000GB for $100 = $0.1 per GB

so a user downloading a 7GB file costs you $0.7 , a very low price.

Most DSL users today do have 1.5Mbit and more. This means that you can download around 6-7GB of data in around 10hours which is not much. Of course you should split the larger file in smaller ones (eg RAR files) to avoid file corruption problems, interrupted downloads etc.

Another way to distribute files and save bandwidth your the sample lib producer is to use BitTorrent: http://www.bittorrent.com/

But on the otherhand with the low prices of hosters like EV1, setting up bittorrent downloads is almost redundant.

I think users are prefering more and more direct downloads over physical shipping because of faster delivery, no shipping costs, less over head for the sample lib producer (thus they can make it available at a lower cost).

Give them both options (physical shipping and direct download at reduced prices) and everyone will be happy.

cheers,
    Benno
    http://www.linuxsampler.org

Quote Originally Posted by sbenno
    Most DSL users today do have 1.5Mbit and more. This means that you can download around 6-7GB of data in around 10 hours which is not much.
    10 hours is not much? Good grief! (And also I wouldn't agree that "DSL users today do have 1.5Mbit and more".)

I don't think we're ready for such large downloads yet. Maybe when they let us little people on the Internet 2, or is it Internet II?

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

10 hours: you either do it in the background by day or by night.
    With a DSL connection even if you download in the background the surfing speed is still very good and you barely notice that you download at full force.
    Where is the problem ?

For example in Italy the smalles DSL connection you can get is 1.5MBit and in a few months the Telco will upgrade them all to 4Mbit for free, mostly because they are entering in the TV over Internet business so they need good bandwidth to deliver TV quality video over DSL.
    I would not call Italy the most technological country in the world So I think many DSL users around do have at least 1Mbit or more.

Of course there are poorer countries where DSL is at 128Kbit or 256Kbit.

By offering direct downloads it does not mean everyone is forced to go this route. They can still order the DVDs.
    So no need to wait for Internet2, delivery (bandwidth) costs for large files are so low that for a product that costs $50-$100 and more they are negligible.

I see no reason why not offer direct downloads of large files too.
    The administrative and monetary overhead (in relation of the price) is the same as for smaller sized files.

cheers,
    Benno

I totally agree with sbenno. I've had a lot of problems with cheapo DVDs from several sample library producers. I'd rather download for a couple of days than wait weeks for DVDs that don't work. I wouldn't want to download huge East West or VSL products but those two use professional DVDs which actually contain the data.

With 768 kb/s my dsl-connection is also more on the "slowish" side. (In Germany many people already have 2,4 or 6 mbit connections and 25 mbit/s ones are imminent). But I wouldn't care to let my server download the 7 GB within approximately 21 hours ((7168 * 512) / (768 * 225) h = 21,2 h, for 6 mbit it would only take 2,7 h and for 25 mbit not more than half an hour) in the background - every affordable express delivery service would take much longer. So it's faster and cheaper for people who are willing to download and backup it themselves and like benno said everyone else can still buy the DVD.

Greetings,
    NothanUmber

Sure.. and even if 10 hours was a long time, its nothing compared to waiting for the mail

Also would only be an option. If you dont have a fast connection, or dont want to wait the hours it takes, then dont.

Everybody wins

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    I've had a lot of problems with cheapo DVDs from several sample library producers. I'd rather download for a couple of days than wait weeks for DVDs that don't work.
    Well downloading - especially large files - that then don't work properly is quite common due to ERRORS. It was the first thing I thought of, apart from slowing your machine down for 10 hours. Imagine downloading for 10 hours and then it doesn work properly!
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Go Back to forum