• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do I need all these folders??

Share/Bookmark

Do I need all these folders??

As a Mac user I'm fanatically tidy with my files and folders, and I like to keep everything organised.
    I notice in my Applications folder that there are many files/folders relating to GPO:

1 Garritan Personal Orchestra (contains the main apllication, plus Registraion Tool, and Read me files;

2 GPO Library (which contains all the instruments)

3 GPO Studio (various .html help files)

4 Personal Orchestra Studio (another application), and

5 templates (which just has a file called 'empty.gpo' which i've no idea what it does)

I keep all my other music-related apps and folders in a folder called "Music Stuff" - can I put all these files and folders into a master "GPO Stuff" folder, or do they all have to be kept loose (for some reason!)

Any ideas, anyone?
    Andy

Re: Do I need all these folders??

Be careful of moving the folders especially the GPO Library folder as GPO won't know where to find it. I recommend reinstalling if you want to move the library folder.

HI Haydn, thanks for reply.
    Will reinstalling help? I've not moved any of the folders from when I first installed them - it seems to be where they are put by default; so can I change that?
    Or, if I move them, will GPO ask where they are i.e. 'GPO cannot find file xxxxx.mus, please locate it.' (or something like that!)
    It just seems very messy the way GPO installs the files it needs - is there a reason why they are where they are?
    Thanks again,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andyst
    HI Haydn, thanks for reply.
    Will reinstalling help? I've not moved any of the folders from when I first installed them - it seems to be where they are put by default; so can I change that?
    Or, if I move them, will GPO ask where they are i.e. 'GPO cannot find file xxxxx.mus, please locate it.' (or something like that!)
    It just seems very messy the way GPO installs the files it needs - is there a reason why they are where they are?
    Thanks again,
    Andy
    There is a way to locate files according to preference, but I have seen many problems here because of that. I always install application software to the defaults. That makes it easier when it is time to remove, re-install, update, etc. The only thing I change is the location of my data files. Whenever possible, all my data files are located on a separate hard drive, and this makes frequent backup easy and fast. Full system backup can then be done less often.

Richard

Go Back to forum