• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Orchestration Challenge III

Share/Bookmark

Orchestration Challenge III

Hi Everyone,

Time for Orchestration Challenge III.

I've decided to keep to the same format for this one - I'll leave it to the next winner to develop the challenge [if they want to].

Here is the "theme"

and the midi file is here:

http://www.stradjazz.com/Chall_03.MID

Closing date for entries will be 19th August - unless enough people protest by the end of this weekend that 4 weeks is not long enough!

I'll post details of how to get your entries to me closer to the date.

For those of you who haven't partaken before - please do, the more entries there are the more interesting it is for everyone - here are the "rules" that have sort of developed of the last couple of sessions:

1. Your entry should have substantially been created using GPO.
    2. The Orchestration Challenge is to take the theme and create a couple of minutes of music in the style of your choosing, doing whatever you like to the theme as long as it is substantially recognisable.
    3. The winner is chosen after the entries have been posted anonymously on this forum, and the forum members have voted for their favorite in a poll. How the forum members judge which is their favorite is totally up to them.
    4. The winner of the Challenge wins nothing, except the acclaim of the forum, and the honour of setting the next Challenge

Have fun and be creative.....
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Orchestration Challenge III

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Hi Everyone,

Time for Orchestration Challenge III.

I've decided to keep to the same format for this one - I'll leave it to the next winner to develop the challenge [if they want to].

Here is the "theme"
    Have fun and be creative.....
    Greetings Richard,

I guess the sun has been up for a while "across the water", hell it's just about up here...but since I'm on vacation, doing a "wrap-around", and have been up all night, let me be the first to greet this new theme.

VERY INTRIGUING...we go more "outside" with each round (which is a good thing IMHO).

This will be an interesting round...can't wait to get back home and get started.

I would like to encourage all the "new owners" of GPO to take part in this friendly competition. Submissons are anonymous. Voting is anonymous. And you don't even have to "fess up" at the end if you don't want to...but the more entries we have, the better!

So, boys and girls (yeah...that includes you Steph, NMB, Larry A., Styxx, brasspig, Trent, Sean, CPTexas, Tresic, and ALL of our friends in Europe, Dubai, Mediterranean, Northern Countires, and all points south, east, north, and west), let's get started!

:-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Richard!

This is fantastic. What a fascinating theme! I can't wait to get to work with this. Good luck to all!

Best Regards,
    Ric Zimmerman
    The little voices in my head are singing four-part harmony.

Yikes! This is certainly going to be a challenge for me! Thanks for posting it, looks like this one will be a lot of fun. Good luck to all! I can't wait to hear what we come up with . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

AIEEE!!! Too wild 'n weird for me! I don't think in those types of near-randomness!

I won't be tackling this one!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

yeesh.....

quite a challange.
    And here I am still working on the first duel's peice.

-Chris

Just checking that as many people as possible know about this.

[really just a bump]

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    [really just a bump]

Yes - let's keep it "out front" to encourage participation.

One question - I assume that you are following normal notation practice and that the final 'd' note in measure 5 is, in fact, a d-flat?

I ask because I have seen some scores without key signature in which accidentals apply ONLY to the immediate note they preceed. I assume that you are following the normal practice of accidentals being in effect until the next bar line.

;-)
    jim

Looks like G Locrian to me so all d's are flat (four flats and a raised leading tone to f#). Well, maybe not - I see a natural a and a natural d. Oh well, maybe just a few chromatic changes. I hope I have time - this looks fun.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Looks like G Locrian to me
    Thanks Trent...I wasn't thinking that direction at all! Now I can't wait to get home to a keyboard.
    ;-)

Go Back to forum