• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rule Britiania

Share/Bookmark

Rule Britiania

Here is Rule Britiania orchestrated by none other than Beethoven. This short rendition is the opening of a somewhat obscure piece of his called Wellington's Victory, written to celebrate the defeat of Napoleon. Is it just me or does Herr Ludwig have a Prussian um-pah thing going in the percussion?
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Re: Rule Britiania

Hey cool! I played this many timesduring my tour in Italy. There was quite a big British community on the NATO base there. I actually did a cool version of this in a minor key! It was really evil and many of the Brits I worked with found it funny but treasonous! I'll have to GPO-ize it some day.

Nice work. Like the triangle too.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Here is Rule Britiania orchestrated by none other than Beethoven. This short rendition is the opening of a somewhat obscure piece of his called Wellington's Victory, written to celebrate the defeat of Napoleon. Is it just me or does Herr Ludwig have a Prussian um-pah thing going in the percussion?
    Valhalx, I enjoyed that and hadn't heard that version before. Also I was ignorant of Beethoven's involvement. I found myself standing, involuntarily, to attention!

The Royal Albert Hall in London is the venue for a daily series of concerts lasting 8 weeks throughout the summer. This series of classical music 'promenade' concerts cover all tastes (good and bad), (tonal and atonal!).

'The last night of the proms' (September 10th) always includes a patriotic rendition of 'Rule Brittania' (amongst others) where the audience sings along with the orchestra. Some of the songs are not very apt now but do stir my generation still. If you are able to see this broadcast in the USA it's very entertaining.

I think that, this year, these patriotic songs will be sung with greater gusto and fervour than normal (if that were possible) bearing in mind the current events in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whatson/1009.shtml (The last night programme)

Historical factette: Before the first world war Great Britain (and we were then!) had more naval tonnage than the rest of the world put together. That was REAL Power.
    Watch out USA- it's amazing what you can loose in only four generations with a couple of major wars!

Frank

.... Is it just me or does Herr Ludwig have a Prussian um-pah thing going in the percussion?
    In my opinion the deafening fortissimo kettledrum canonshot imitations further on in the opus are beyond Prussion um-pah. I found somewhere that the premiere of Wellington's Victory was in the same concert as the premiere of his 7th symphony. Not my choise of programming.

I prefer Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance no 1.

Gerard

although the particular piece of music is definitely not one of my all-time favourites, this is a nice setting.

slán

mick ó c

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Valhalx, I enjoyed that and hadn't heard that version before. Also I was ignorant of Beethoven's involvement. I found myself standing, involuntarily, to attention!

The Royal Albert Hall in London is the venue for a daily series of concerts lasting 8 weeks throughout the summer. This series of classical music 'promenade' concerts cover all tastes (good and bad), (tonal and atonal!).

'The last night of the proms' (September 10th) always includes a patriotic rendition of 'Rule Brittania' (amongst others) where the audience sings along with the orchestra. Some of the songs are not very apt now but do stir my generation still. If you are able to see this broadcast in the USA it's very entertaining.

I think that, this year, these patriotic songs will be sung with greater gusto and fervour than normal (if that were possible) bearing in mind the current events in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whatson/1009.shtml (The last night programme)

Historical factette: Before the first world war Great Britain (and we were then!) had more naval tonnage than the rest of the world put together. That was REAL Power.
    Watch out USA- it's amazing what you can loose in only four generations with a couple of major wars!

Frank
    Hardy,
    I'm glad you enjoyed this. You are right about nations taking too much for granted. And speaking of Navies, the US Navy has many traditions that can be traced to the Royal Navy. During my time in the Navy I had the privledge to go aboard Royal Navy ships and even participate in the daily rum ration, one tradition the USN should have kept. We get BBC America here where I live so I'll keep an eye out for the Proms.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by GerardR
    In my opinion the deafening fortissimo kettledrum canonshot imitations further on in the opus are beyond Prussion um-pah. I found somewhere that the premiere of Wellington's Victory was in the same concert as the premiere of his 7th symphony. Not my choise of programming.

I prefer Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance no 1.

Gerard
    Yes, Wellington's Victory was performed with the seventh. The concert was an elaborate affair with all the notable musicians and composers in Vienna performing in the orchestra. Salieri was on the drums!

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by ailteoir
    although the particular piece of music is definitely not one of my all-time favourites, this is a nice setting.

slán

mick ó c
    Sadly this piece is not up to Beethoven's usual high standards. The reason is it was commisioned by Johann Maelzel, inventor of the metronome. Maelzel had invented a box full of wind and percussion instruments powered by wind called the Panharmonium. Given the circumstances, one can see why Beethoven didn't give it his all. The orchestra version came later.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Hardy,
    I'm glad you enjoyed this. You are right about nations taking too much for granted. And speaking of Navies, the US Navy has many traditions that can be traced to the Royal Navy. During my time in the Navy I had the privledge to go aboard Royal Navy ships and even participate in the daily rum ration, one tradition the USN should have kept. We get BBC America here where I live so I'll keep an eye out for the Proms.
    Thanks for your reply. It's was interested to hear that you were in the US Navy and had a connection with the Royal Navy. Yep, pity about the rum.....of course that was in the days before coke!

Keep your pieces coming.

regards

Frank

Go Back to forum