• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Larry Seyer Drums..Incredible!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Larry Seyer Drums..Incredible!

I've played around with the demo content in G3, and have always been impressed by these cool sounding drums. Really, they are the best sounding drum samples I've neard, anywhere... and I have quite a collection. I finally got the whole library, and I am beyond impressed. I had held off ordering because frankly the library looked complicated. But as I'm finding out, the way this thing is programmed with G3 stacked instrument features, it actually simplifies things tremendously.

The manual is awesome. I learned more about G3 reading it than I did reading Tascam's G3 manual. A bonus. Also, I've never really got into Gigapulse, but it's built right in to the drum kits, and I don't have to do anything, so I get to hear what it can do without fiddling with all the settings. I love easy, and there's a LOT of power and sounds here that is very easy to get to.

This isn't a commercial. I haven't spoken with anyone affiliated with these samples. it's just when I come across something this good I think it deserves special mention, and I just want to tell everyone.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Larry Seyer Drums..Incredible!

Yeah, that Larry is a freak. Nothing to say about that library, really, except just amazing. No matter what you say, it always comes back to that. Just an amazing job all around.

I just wish that Larry/Tascam had promoted the group buy here. The price only went so low, then I forgot about it. I was ready to scoop it up, had the group buy been more successful.

-JF

Pat's an incredible drummer. I know him although I haven't spoken to him in years. He used to come see me play with Kevin Gilbert (10 years ago). I remember when he told me he got the gig with King Crimson. I said "Really??? What about Bruford?" and at the time Bruford was ALSO playing with them so he said "Oh, he's still there too." I remember thinking how unlikely it would be that Mr. Mister's drummer was going to be in King Crimson but it just goes to show you how diverse Pat is. Of course the drums on XTC's Oranges and Lemons is yet another great example. So, I am a big fan of his playing.

That would lead me to getting this library at some point! Are there by chance any Pat-played loops? That would be nice.

I have a question about the latency feature Larry did. Is it a whole different set of samples truncated a little earlier than usual or is it the same set of samples as the regular kits but different start points? If it is the first one then it takes up a lot more space. What does the manual say you are supposed to do with those? Sequence with the quick triggered ones and then move your track forward a bit and play the other version so you hear the "air" before the hits? How far before? Just curious. I will eventually get this for my Giga 3 anyway but I was wondering this for a bit. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids
    Pat's an incredible drummer. I know him although I haven't spoken to him in years. He used to come see me play with Kevin Gilbert (10 years ago). I remember when he told me he got the gig with King Crimson. I said "Really??? What about Bruford?" and at the time Bruford was ALSO playing with them so he said "Oh, he's still there too." I remember thinking how unlikely it would be that Mr. Mister's drummer was going to be in King Crimson but it just goes to show you how diverse Pat is. Of course the drums on XTC's Oranges and Lemons is yet another great example. So, I am a big fan of his playing.

That would lead me to getting this library at some point! Are there by chance any Pat-played loops? That would be nice.

I have a question about the latency feature Larry did. Is it a whole different set of samples truncated a little earlier than usual or is it the same set of samples as the regular kits but different start points? If it is the first one then it takes up a lot more space. What does the manual say you are supposed to do with those? Sequence with the quick triggered ones and then move your track forward a bit and play the other version so you hear the "air" before the hits? How far before? Just curious. I will eventually get this for my Giga 3 anyway but I was wondering this for a bit. Thanks.
    That's cool about King Crimson. Pretty awesome band, are they still touring?

I've just started playing around, but I believe the samples are the same with different start points. The manual doesn't really say, but they sure sound the same.

The manual recommends the low latency for live playing and tracking, and the full attack for playback only. It mentions a 5 millisecond difference (240 samples) between the two. Again I haven't played around, but the manual says using the full attack for playback gives a laid back feel as with a drummer who plays a little behind the beat. To play dead on, you can offset by the 5 milliseconds and have the samples triggered early which I suppose would put the air movement a little ahead of the beat with stick hitting the skin on the beat. The full attack add a degree of realism...seems like it would work especially well in rock where the drums were out front in your face.

There's a load of midi files that are expertly played, but I don't know who performed them. I would venture to say they are played and not step-timed or quantized, but then again I could be wrong.

The sound blows me away. Simple awesome, and the cool thing is with all these variations and use of rooms, surround sound, low latency and full attack, it is quite tame and is loads of fun to work with. Not much of a learning curve at all, and for me that's sayin' a lot..

Yeah, Iwant to buy Larry Seyers drums too, but the group buy price didn't go very low, and I don't want to spend $400 (or is it $500) on drums, as I already have some drums in my collection. It was surprising and disappointing the group buy didn't do better. I wonder how it would have done if it had been hosted here.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsm
    Yeah, Iwant to buy Larry Seyers drums too, but the group buy price didn't go very low, and I don't want to spend $400 (or is it $500) on drums, as I already have some drums in my collection. It was surprising and disappointing the group buy didn't do better. I wonder how it would have done if it had been hosted here.

Yes, I missed the group buy too, I think a lot of us did. I don't know why the word didn't get out. The library is well worth the price, though. There's really a LOT of stuff in there. Even Impulses you can use on other samples, not just the drums.

There's probably too many group buys that go on now and people become complacent perhaps. We've mellowed out on doing them a bit too. Although I still think the concept of them is very interesting.

Thanks for the response. They would "sound" the same though regardless of it being different "copied" samples with different start points vs. the same sample with different start points. The key is if there are two different gig files for the low latency and lag versions. I'll find out one way or another.

I am in the midst of doing a massive drum collection myself (and actually I am glad someone mentioned being hesitant to pay $500 because I was thinking of splitting it up into more affordable sub collections so you can pick and choose). It's cool. I've been working on it for years (although actually not as long as Larry because I think Pat told me about him doing a drum sample session many moons ago...which possibly means almost 10 years actually! Hmmm...). My new drum collection has been about 3 years in the making. But, anyway, I am one of those people who has always been sort of missing the "air" before the attack (even though I really LOVE tight no latency hits when I play). We can take the marked sessions and move them back 5 ms and re-export everything into individual drums. It's easy enough to offer low latency AND no latency versions seperately but MAN that is double the data! I've got over 50 gigs of drums as it is. We're doing it for Giga3 but ALSO for other streaming samplers too so if we expect to use an alternate start point trick then I need to check to make sure it is possible with all of them. I may opt NOT to do this though because it opens up possible issues such as the fact that if you just move the start point with a latency version then there is no zero crossing fade then for your no latency start point triggered sample, unless you have an envelope attack that can do tight fade ins (and when/if someone move is then it reveals the start point issue)... I hope I am not talking rocket science here!

Anyway, I am going to pick up the Larry Seyers thing (GB or not!) and see how audible and worth it the lag versions are anyway. Maybe there are some demos of it (I haven't even looked I've been so busy). It be interesting to hear the midi files play both versions so you could compare the difference. Maybe a user can do it (hint hint... Just kidding. Only if you want to!).

Question about that low latency feature:

is this because those drums use convolution by default and since convolution is extremely CPU intensive at low latencies (*) you cannot go below a certain latency therefore you need to cut the first part of the sample to shorten the delay.

But the question is, is cutting 200 samples at the beginning really not disturbing in live play ? AFAIK percussive sounds have most of it's information in the first part of the sample and cutting this might kill off some of the realism.

(*) convolution CPU usage doubles when halving the buffer size (latency) due to the nature of the convolution algorithm.
    eg if convolution uses 20% CPU a a buffer size of 512 samples then with a buffer size of 256 samples it will use 40% and at 128 samples 80%. Same convolution algorithm/IIR file

cheers,
    Benno

The free Larry Drum Kit that came with GS3 is so good, I don't need more (for now). They really are the best drums I ever heard coming out of a sampler.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast