• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Will GPO open and playback general midi files?

Share/Bookmark

Will GPO open and playback general midi files?

I already have many general midi files but they don't sound very good on my computer. I have created them with finale 2002. When i save them as midi files, they lose tempo changes and other data. I have been reading about how to create better midi files with finale but it seems difficult for this middle aged music professor to fathom. For example, the graphing skills required to make a simple crescendo seem beyond my ability to remain calm and non-irritable. Anyway, to avoid wandering, let me say that i would like to play my midi files, such as they are, and see how they sound with more realistic instruments. I have ordered a copy of GPO and am awaiting its arrival. When it arrives, will I be able to open my general midi files using GPO and play them back using GPO?

Re: Will GPO open and playback general midi files?

GPO itself is just a sound library and playback engine; however, it ships with Cubasis, which is a sequencer that can import your MIDI files and play them on GPO. It also comes with Overture LE, which is a notation tool. You will be able to drive GPO directly with Finale, Overture, Cubasis or any other major notation program or seqeuncer.

For the best performance, open your MIDI files in Cubasis, setup the instruments to match the channels, then draw in the dynamics curves to your heart's content using the mod-wheel control. Draw in high velocity for the fast attack and low for slow attack. You can also add vibrato as needed. Adjust the volume of each track for a nice mix, and the results should be well beyond what you've been able to create thus far.

Best of luck!

-JF

Thanks for the prompt reply! So does this sound right? I will be opening up my midi files in cubasis and then modifying them to sound better. Then cubasis will play back my improved midi files using gpo. The modwheel control is part of cubasis and i will be using it to edit my midi files and i won't need a midi keyboard.

Also, does cubasis recognize general midi and can it assign instruments to the correct channels by itself?

In Cubasis you will use the mouse to create (draw) ModWheel (CC#1) and other controller data like velocity (attack), sustain, vibrato speed and vibrato intensity. And yes, you won't need a MIDI keyboard.

Cubasis can recogninze GM, but not in connection with GPO and it can not assign GPO instruments automatically.

Since you are accustomed to Finale, might I suggest you upgrade to F2006, where Human Playback will give you much of the expressivenes automatically. F2006 is designed to use GPO for playback, thus letting you hear your music with realistic sounds and without a lot of extra "controller tweaking".

Somewhere around here we had a midi file converter that was made available to everyone - it's function was to insert cc1 data (keying off velocity of each note on) into a standard midi file, to permit GPO to play it back more realistically without having to do a lot of manual cc1 mousing.
    Styxx, JB, DPDAN, anybody know where this file is to be had? I checked Garritan.com and found Markelford's DX plugin version of the Stadndard Midi-File Convertor, but not the standalone .....

Trond

Of course, there are a few General-MIDI soundfonts out there that don't suck. SynergiGS is one of the best.

It's the cheapest way to add GM sounds that will sound FAR better than the internal Microsoft GM synthesizer built into WindowsXP. (Of course, you can use that in a pinch too.)

Converting the files manually is the only way to make GPO play them with any kind of accuracy, though don't expect any electric guitars, rock drums or helicopter noises.

This ain't "Disco Bagpipes".
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana
    Somewhere around here we had a midi file converter that was made available to everyone - it's function was to insert cc1 data (keying off velocity of each note on) into a standard midi file, to permit GPO to play it back more realistically without having to do a lot of manual cc1 mousing.

Trond
    I would be happy to use this converter if it would save time. In addition to my college gig, I also am a church musician. In both situations, I am teaching other (usually younger) musicians how to survive without great keyboard skills. Saving time is more important than sound quality, but . . . we still like it to sound good. Budding school and church musicians that I work with would really appreciate locating this converter.

P.S. I forgot to mention that our lab at school is old and outdated. We won't be updating our finale until we move to our new building in 2 years. For now, we are stuck with finale 2002. Even if I buy 2006, my students won't have access to it. That's why it would be helpful to locate that file converter.

The Standard MIDI File Translator is here:

http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html

Scroll down to "MFX Plug-In Standard MIDI File Translator"
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

The MIDI File Translator came on the 4th CD.

Go Back to forum