• Register
  • Help

Topic: An open message to Michiel at PMI

Share/Bookmark

An open message to Michiel at PMI

Hi Michiel,

(Order number : 8272_01672-104050045 - registered user)

I've had Old Lady (Halion) now for a number of months but have two different problems, depending on whether I use Halion player 3 or VSampler3.51. I've emailed via the address on your website and to you personally and have had no reponse. Please reply and help. I am a customer.

With Halion Player 3, there is a machine-gun effect - i.e. when I hold down sustain and then play a succession of chords, each new one cancels out the sustain of the previous one - it's NOT a polyphony issue as I have the processing power for >100 voices

With VSampler 3.51 there are release clicks on the two octaves below middle C, though interestingly, the other problem doesn't happen (and vice-versa).

It happens using the software stand alone, or in Cubase SX2 (on XP sp2. Athlon 3.2gig 939 sck, 2gig dual channel DDR, 120gig seagate 7200rpm HD - all freshly installed and defragged etc etc)

If you could fix either problem that'd be fine. If not then I would please request either:
    1. A DVD swap for the giga version to try in VSampler3 or
    2. A refund

I love the Old LAdy, I really do. It's the best piano I've got. But it's unplayable in it's current Halion state.

I'm posting here just in case anyone out there has had similar probs and can offer suggestions.

Thanks again
    Gavin

Re: An open message to Michiel at PMI

Quote Originally Posted by seacave
    Hi Michiel,
    With Halion Player 3, there is a machine-gun effect - i.e. when I hold down sustain and then play a succession of chords, each new one cancels out the sustain of the previous one - it's NOT a polyphony issue as I have the processing power for >100 voices

With VSampler 3.51 there are release clicks on the two octaves below middle C, though interestingly, the other problem doesn't happen (and vice-versa).
    Gavin
    Hi Gavin,
    The machine gun effect sounds like a bad polyphony setting in the Halion Player parameter set. As far as I know Halion player should follow the settings for the full Halion sampler. Each group (there are many groups) should have it's own polyphony limitation (normally set to 16, but preferred setting is 64) that determines when Halion cuts off notes in case polyphony runs against this limit. Since the full Halion version does not have this problem it could be a problem that is caused by the player version.
    Perhaps one of the Steinberg guru's can help you out.

VSampler is not a supported file format for us. I imagine you imported the Halion file in VSampler. If you can select the release sample group(s) and change the attack time for these groups you should be able to get click-free release samples from VSampler. If you can't set this in VSampler you may have to batch process all release samples to burn the attack in the audio data. PM me if you want specific details on how to do that. Wavelab can do this for you. If you don't have a full audio editor with batch file possibilities the only option would be to manually load each offending release sample as an audio file in SX and add the attack (an attack setting of 50-80 msec should overcome the click) and save the resulting audio sample under the same file name, replacing the offending samples in your wavepool.

Hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum