• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Topic: "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Smile "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

    Hello everyone - everywhere,


    I consider this to be my best keyboard composition. This is my "Patterns" in E Major. I utilized the GPO Steinway piano. I wrote this in 1993 and just "Garritanized" it today.


    This is a study in poly-rhythm. Notice how the principal beat, and consequently the meter, changes throughout the work.

    http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/Patterns.mp3

    I hope that it brings pleasure to your ears (both of them). If it is too aggressive and if the higher frequencies of the piano right hand are too "crisp" for your taste, let me know and I wil re-mix it.


    Regards,

    Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

    Larry,

    Very Scarlatti-like in places; have you thought about creating a harpsichord version? It would seem to be a natural fit, although the accents in the left hand would no longer work. Still, quite effective as is.

    Was it fun re-visiting an old work?

    R. Pearl

  3. #3

    Re: "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

    Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Larry,

    Very Scarlatti-like in places; have you thought about creating a harpsichord version? It would seem to be a natural fit, although the accents in the left hand would no longer work. Still, quite effective as is.

    Was it fun re-visiting an old work?

    R. Pearl
    Rewriting this for harpsi would be a major task because dynamics are practically non-existent with that instrument, as you know.

    Yes, I just happened upon this work. I had forgotten that I had written it. It is actually more complicated than it sounds rhythm-wise.

    Thanks for listening.

    My best,

    Ol' Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  4. #4

    Re: "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

    Nice !!



    I'll agree, it does sound tailor made for the harpsichord.

    But I disagree.. in saying it's your best keyboard work..

    Sorry...This one is still one of my fav's from an earlier post of yours
    ( for those interested.. if the link works)
    http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/larryalex/Millenium.mp3

    Still love that rollercoaster ride feel.!

  5. #5
    Senior Member valhalx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wine Country, Colorado
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

    What a bonus! Two "old" Larry works in one thread. And both of them are magnificent. I agree with you Larry, I prefer Patterns though Millineum is also quite enjoyable. The rhythms in Patterns are captivating. More than Scarlatti I hear shades of Johann Sebastian. In the end it is Larry presenting us with another wonderful musical treasure.
    Val
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

    My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

  6. #6

    Re: "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

    Hi Larry:

    I agree with everything that Val said and enjoyed this piece. It's light, merry and moves forward and carries the listener with it. You are to really be congratulated in the way you presented it. The piano sounds great and the mix is just right. Your pedalling is very precise and not overdone. As a matter of fact, it's difficult to hear pedalling, if used, as the piece moves at a good clip. I guess it could be done with either very light pedalling or none at all.

    Enjoyed the listen, Larry--as always.........

    Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK- teeming with life....
    Posts
    2,567

    Re: "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Hello everyone - everywhere,


    I consider this to be my best keyboard composition. This is my "Patterns" in E Major. I utilized the GPO Steinway piano. I wrote this in 1993 and just "Garritanized" it today.


    This is a study in poly-rhythm. Notice how the principal beat, and consequently the meter, changes throughout the work.

    http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/larryalex/Patterns.mp3

    I hope that it brings pleasure to your ears (both of them). If it is too aggressive and if the higher frequencies of the piano right hand are too "crisp" for your taste, let me know and I wil re-mix it.


    Regards,

    Larry A.
    God, how I hate to agree with you Larry......but this is an interesting and entertaining piece. I liked the little inserts around 4min.

    In terms of your prolific output, you're definitely the 'Styxx' of the demo world! (That's a compliment by the way! )

    Frank

  8. #8

    Re: "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    I consider this to be my best keyboard composition.

    This is a study in poly-rhythm. Notice how the principal beat, and consequently the meter, changes throughout the work.
    Larry,
    I'll take your word that this is your best keyboard piece; it would be hard for me to tell. You have been posting a continuous stream of great pieces, several per week, since I joined the forum last November or so...and they've all been good.

    I get images of you sitting in a little pawn shop in Tyler, with an inkwell and quill pen in hand, pouring this stuff directly onto a manuscript pad, not even bothering to consult a keyboard. HOW DO YOU TURN OUT SO MUCH GOOD STUFF, DUDE!

    For me there is more JSB than Scarlatti here...as though either one would be a BAD thing ;-).

    On a first listen I agreed with the others who would like to hear it on harpsichord, but then went back and listened to the dynamics...they are subtle, but important to the structure, so I think you made the right decision in using piano.

    And I can hear the rhythmic shifts...they are so smooth (so yeah, right...we've got a sequenced pattern moving there in the right hand and the bass is coming down a scale with a couple of beats to go till the end of it's current pattern and then the treble starts again... and... and...<surprise>... gradually I notice that my foot is now tapping upbeats...TOO COOL!).

    If you don't mind sharing your secrets, I would greatly enjoy seeing a score to see how you pull this off...if not, that's cool too...just keep posting more of your music!

    regards,
    jim
    ;-)

    Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

  9. #9

    Re: "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

    Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    Nice !!



    I'll agree, it does sound tailor made for the harpsichord.

    But I disagree.. in saying it's your best keyboard work..

    Sorry...This one is still one of my fav's from an earlier post of yours
    ( for those interested.. if the link works)
    http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/larryalex/Millenium.mp3

    Still love that rollercoaster ride feel.!
    Thanks, Man, and I appreciate the kind words concerning "Millenium".

    My best to you,

    Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  10. #10

    Re: "Patterns" (my best keyboard composition)

    Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    What a bonus! Two "old" Larry works in one thread. And both of them are magnificent. I agree with you Larry, I prefer Patterns though Millineum is also quite enjoyable. The rhythms in Patterns are captivating. More than Scarlatti I hear shades of Johann Sebastian. In the end it is Larry presenting us with another wonderful musical treasure.
    Val
    I really appreciate your comments, Val. I was never a big fan of Scarlatti (but don't tell anyone that.)

    Regards,

    Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •