• Register
  • Help

Topic: programing a wind controller for samples

Share/Bookmark

programing a wind controller for samples

I have been working on programing a wind controller to work with giga 3 and a sample library I have been succesful in getting the breath control to work with solo violin from VLS on a friends computer which is great, my first question is, can I get it to control pitch bend to which would also allow you to do vibrato with your reed or am I asking to much. Question two is which library to buy, Ive read GPO is great with wind controllers and the price is cetainly right but can I get anywhere near the quality I could get with one of the more expensive libraies like east west or even vsl, thanks in advance for your answers, I have been on here for three days and learned more than I have in weeks on my own, everyone is so helpful. Jeff

Re: programing a wind controller for samples

Jeff, I wouldn't think you'd want the breath (CC#2) to be the controller, you'd go sharp the harder you blow. Using a WindX, what about the reed bite parameter, whatever it's called?
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Im using the breath control for velocity the harder I blow the louder it gets Im wondering what parameter would control the pitch Jeff

The cantilever on the WX5 (which is what I use) is connected to pitch in smaller increments than the pitch wheel. If you don't have this on your wind controller, I would suggest buying a WX5. Otherwise, you're going to be dealing with learning a very unnatural way to express vibrato.

Here's the problem with using a wind controller with sample libraries: while you can redirect your cc#2 to control any parameter you want, the problem is that you'll be unsatisfied with the ultimate results. You can either control volume which has no timbre change associated with it so it just sounds like you're controlling a fader rather than expressing an acoustic phenomenon. You can add a dynamic high pass filter to emulate this behavior, but then it starts to sound like a synth. The other option is to use cc#2 to control a crossfade switch which works to various degrees depending on the type of instrument and the implementation of the samples. To be totally honest, I've yet to hear a convincing implementation of crossfade switch. The Garritan strings works pretty well, but it's not useful for fast response situations. Over the course of a few measures, it works great but then at that point, you don't really need a wind controller, just a mouse to insert a mod wheel ramp in your sequencer. I remember reading a while back that VSL has a good cc#2 implementation but I've yet to check it out. I'm considering springing for the 30% off deal this month and diving in.

After years of struggling with this issue, MY conclusion is that the wind controller is really great in conjunction with a physical modeling unit (like the vl70m or vl1) but not for samples. It is an instrument in it's own right and can be seriously expressive tool but you'll be much more satisfied with it in the long run if you understand its limitations and use it for what it is. YMMV

-Jamey

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff4h
    Im using the breath control for velocity the harder I blow the louder it gets Im wondering what parameter would control the pitch Jeff
    Jeff, that's what I was suggesting - that cc2 is not a good pitch control, it's for volume. I don't own a wind synth controller, just a BC-3, but a former bandmate played the 'windex', the WX-7. He referred to the 'bite' parameter, from how hard you bit the reed, which he used to tell us he used for vibrato or bending pitch. But Jamey sounds like the man, he has the newer model.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum