• Register
  • Help

Topic: strange sustain pedal behaviour in Cubase SL using plug-in

Share/Bookmark

Question strange sustain pedal behaviour in Cubase SL using plug-in

I'm using GPO with Cubase SL, an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard and 88es MIDI controller. I can programme either using the separate Studio module or with the VST plugin. On balance, despite good stability with the Studio, I prefer the latter because it seems to use less precious memory and system resources (on the Studio, the max latency is 512 which I don't understand --this is too low and I can need up to the 2048 for full orchestra on current system which is available through the driver).

However there is one very strange thing using the plug-in. If I press the sustain pedal then the sound is simply muted. If you press the sustain pedal again then the sound comes back --in other words it works as a toggle. The pedal mode setting makes no difference.
    However, if I use the GPO Studio module instead of the plug-in, this problem does not exist and the pedal behaves as advertised. It also may be restricted to the 88es controller as it does not occur with my old Roland JV-30.

Can anyone give me some tips, esp. any users of this controller ?! There seems to be no difference what kind of instruments or other settings I use.

UPDATE
    I've checked recording and that works fine. Somehow the pedal press alternately mutes then unmutes the sound but when MIDI data is played back, it does so without the silences. Does that help anyone?
    Last edited by dko22; 07-22-2005 at 04:30 PM. Reason: new info

Re: strange sustain pedal behaviour in Cubase SL using plug-in

it's OK --I've finally cracked this one. Cubase seems to have set sustain pedal CC64 to default to mute on all MIDI channels with Generic Remote so I've simply wiped out these commands. Didn't consider this as it doesn't happen if not using Garritan --never mind, will pass on that one for now! So Cubase users check your Generic Remote settings if odd things like this happen.

Go Back to forum