• Register
  • Help

Topic: solo clarinet vibrato

Share/Bookmark

solo clarinet vibrato

Tom, I'm running the newest update of GPO. I pulled up the Bb Solo Clarinet in Kontakt 1.5.3 because I wanted to do some personalization of the vibrato. However, in Kontakt I can't find how the vibrato is actually programmed. I see only 2 LFOs in use, both set to Random waveform (I assume these are for var1 and var2?)

Can you point me at what I'm overlooking?

Thanks...

-glenn

Re: solo clarinet vibrato

Glenn,

If you have successfully updated both the player and the library, the Bb Clarinet Solo instrument will have 4 LFOs present on both layers when you open the instrument in Kontakt 1.5.3. If you see only 2 LFOs, the instrument file is not the updated version.

If the update to the programming (with the update install program that is on the NI site right now) was successful then you will also see a new folder hierarchy. The latest instrument folders will be accessed immediately when you click on the load button (you will see no dry or wet audition folders for these files - they're all dry). The older dry and wet folders will still be there (unless you manually delete them) but they will be toward the bottom of the list. The new folders will contain many instruments not present in the original programming, like Full strings, two versions of vibraphone (one for standard pedal mode), and many KS brass, string, and percussion instruments. Go to the NI site, download the update again, and reinstall if you do NOT see this structure.

Tom

I think I have most of the new stuff (the only thing I've noticed missing so far are some multis, at least as compared to the pdf doc). I just opened up the
    Bb clarinet solo in Kontakt and there are indeed 4 lfo's. I must have opened the wrong one before.

For some reason though, the behavior in Kontakt is kind of goofy (sustain pedal changes lfo params, etc), so it turns out it's a little hard to use. However, I'm curious about something. As it is on my machine, the clarinet vibrato seems to be all pitch variance and no filter. Is that intentional, or could it be something screwy with my setup? (This is why I originally wanted to tweak it in Kontakt: I wanted to create audible filter variance, and tone down the pitch... just a personal thing)

I notice that you're using separate LFOs to modulate pitch and amplitude. You seem to be really creative kontakt programmer, so I'm curious what your reason for that was? I assume you're looking for independent control of those two properties, but my initial reaction would have been to just use one LFO for both since it would always be locked together, wouldn't it?

Thanks!

-glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glittle
    For some reason though, the behavior in Kontakt is kind of goofy (sustain pedal changes lfo params, etc), so it turns out it's a little hard to use.
    Just checked it on mine and I experienced no unusual behavior between pedal positions. Curious.

As it is on my machine, the clarinet vibrato seems to be all pitch variance and no filter. Is that intentional, or could it be something screwy with my setup? (This is why I originally wanted to tweak it in Kontakt: I wanted to create audible filter variance, and tone down the pitch... just a personal thing).
    The two most prominent characteristics of vibrato (by my analysis during development anyway) are pitch and amplitude. There is a (third) brightness component but it is less prominent in most instruments than the other two. The contribution ratio of pitch to amplitude varies from instrument to instrument. For example, the flute is predominantly amplitude variation with a smaller pitch component. Clarinet is predominantly pitch with a smaller amplitude component. One could add the third component (brightness) using a filter but at the expense of higher CPU usage if a separate module is required - see next answer.
    I noticed that you're using separate LFOs to modulate pitch and amplitude. You seem to be really creative kontakt programmer, so I'm curious what your reason for that was? I assume you're looking for independent control of those two properties, but my initial reaction would have been to just use one LFO for both since it would always be locked together, wouldn't it?
    In a perfect world, yes; but not this time. I found, during development, that Kontakt had its twitchy moments when I attempted to use the same LFO for both components. I found more stable performance when I separated the functions. Quirks like this require quick workarounds, whenever possible, to avoid slowing the development process. As it turned out, separation also had the secondary advantage for me to be able to confirm the presence of both vibrato components at a glance while examining a large number of instruments quickly for programming errors - a practical matter. The downside was the small increase in CPU usage for the second LFO.

Since you seem interested in playing around with the clarinet you could easily spend some time experimenting with the addition of the third, more subtle, component: The synchronized filter modulation. One way would be to exchange a two band parametric for the existing one band and use the second one as an independent filter for synchronized LFO modulation. Keep in mind that the first band can be modified to adjust the overall brightness of the instrument, if you like. That one is not periodically modulated, of course, just tied to changes in mod wheel data. I'm sure you can find other possibilities for experimentation too. Have fun.

One caution that I always mention when anyone is using the GPO .nkis in the full version of Kontakt (not just editing them for use in the GPO player): The user must be aware that the GPO player and the full version of Kontakt have one very important difference: The player has corresponding text files for each instrument that send default values to GPO upon instrument load for controllers 20 through 24. The full version of Kontakt does not have the ability to respond to these text files. This places the burdon of manually inserting default value data into the tracks to avoid instruments being loaded with incorrect values when using the full version of Kontakt. The most obvious case is cc21 (length) which will load into the full Kontakt at approximately double the correct value. This is instrument and controller assignment dependent and actual values must be discerned from the text files themselves. This can be a major inconvenience when choosing to use GPO in Kontakt.

Tom

Tom, thanks for your candid "behind the scenes" discussion. I love hearing about others' thought processes. I agree about it being a hassle not having the text file "starter" values. If I make a new modified program in Kontakt, is there a way to then load it back into the GPO player and have it read the initializer text file correctly?

-glenn

If I make a new modified program in Kontakt, is there a way to then load it back into the GPO player and have it read the initializer text file correctly?
    -glenn
    Any changes saved back to a GPO .nki file will load into the player with defaults intact so long as the name of the .nki file has not been altered. If you wish to modify the programming and change the name of the file (so that you don't overwrite the original programming) then you will need to create a new instrument text file to go along with the new .nki. Easy to do. Just make a copy of the text file of the instrument you are modifying and change the name of the copy to match the name of the modified and re-named instrument. For example if you made changes to the "Bb Clarinet Solo.nki" and renamed the modified file "Bb Clarinet Solo Rasp.nki" then you would need to make a copy of the corresponding "Bb Clarinet Solo.txt" file and rename it "Bb Clarinet Solo Rasp.txt." The text files are in the same folder as the instruments. Your newly created instrument will then load with all the defaults. By the way, the defaults can be easily modified too. Just change the numerical values in the text files as shown on page 18 of last fall's Update documentation.

Tom

Go Back to forum