• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hooking up pro headphones

Share/Bookmark

Hooking up pro headphones

The problem is how to connect my new (used) phones to my stereo, if indeed that is the solution, so I can hear what comes through my soundcard.

Till now I've been monitoring directly from the soundcard with consumer phones and speakers, which make enough noise but the noise is not beautiful and sounds are not sufficiently discrete. Kind respondents to a previous post suggested I upgrade to Sennheiser or AKG -- thanks DpDan, Styxx, Tomcat, & Fairhurst! I was able to score a set of AKG K240DF on Ebay for an unbelievable bargain price, miracles do happen. The phones sound fine when listening to the FM tuner in my Yamaha stereo receiver (RX-V493).

However, when I plug the AKG into my soundcard, not much sound comes through: overall volume is low, balance is bad, and some instruments I can barely hear. It's set as high as it will go on the Creative Volume Control. This may have to do with resistance; somewhere I read that pro phones have more than the cheaper consumer variety and so they need a boost.

So I ran a cable from the card (SB Live!, trying all four inputs, 3 outs and 1 i/o) to different RCA inputs on the receiver--Phono, Tape Playback, CD, DVD. I fooled with all the buttons on the front. Nada, nichts, rien, niente, zip. Am I overlooking something, or is this not possible and I need a new piece of equipment (high-powered soundcard)?

Update: Hm, interesting phenomenon. Above I was trying playback through Sibelius. I just tried playing a wav file of the same piece with Audacity, and now I can get the necessary volume with the AKG phones plugged directly into the card. Although at mid- to upper-level volume range, unmuted strings sound scratchy like old 78rpm hiss, something one earlier respondent said is in the samples. With mutes, or harp solo, it's lovely. But why doesn't playback volume work through Sibelius?

Re: Hooking up pro headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smith
    The problem is how to connect my new (used) phones to my stereo, if indeed that is the solution, so I can hear what comes through my soundcard.

Till now I've been monitoring directly from the soundcard with consumer phones and speakers, which make enough noise but the noise is not beautiful and sounds are not sufficiently discrete. Kind respondents to a previous post suggested I upgrade to Sennheiser or AKG -- thanks DpDan, Styxx, Tomcat, & Fairhurst! I was able to score a set of AKG K240DF on Ebay for an unbelievable bargain price, miracles do happen. The phones sound fine when listening to the FM tuner in my Yamaha stereo receiver (RX-V493).

However, when I plug the AKG into my soundcard, not much sound comes through: overall volume is low, balance is bad, and some instruments I can barely hear. It's set as high as it will go on the Creative Volume Control. This may have to do with resistance; somewhere I read that pro phones have more than the cheaper consumer variety and so they need a boost.

So I ran a cable from the card (SB Live!, trying all four inputs, 3 outs and 1 i/o) to different RCA inputs on the receiver--Phono, Tape Playback, CD, DVD. I fooled with all the buttons on the front. Nada, nichts, rien, niente, zip. Am I overlooking something, or is this not possible and I need a new piece of equipment (high-powered soundcard)?

First thought is: are you using line out or speaker out from your sound card? Or does your card have separate line/speaker outs?

Next, on your Creative Volume Control, check advanced settings and you will see a new set of choices, a set for input and a set for output. You may find the answer there. I use my Sennheiser directly from line output. Actually, I have surround sound capability, and use one set of outputs for the headphones, the other for my hi-fi amp, a very old Fisher. It works best on aux.

Also, in your card setup, or somewhere in your system, you may have a maladjusted equalizer.

Impedance matching is important, but your problem sound like something else to me.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I checked the soundcard manual: I am connected to the recommended line out for headphones. The SoundBlaster has three line outs and a combination line in/digital i/o. I brought up the soundcard's Speaker Settings window and set it to headphones, which made no difference. The Volume Control is another little window, with only a slider on it (set high as it will go), no Advanced or Options button.

Hmm again. I just cranked up all the round Volume dials on each voice in the Kontakt Players as high as they will go; the mod wheel settings I always had high up. Previous settings (halfway on the dial) were ok with my inexpensive phones and speakers. Now I have decent volume with Garritan sounds, though not with the quick&dirty soundcard synth sounds, which are handy for development playback. It's confusing to have volume controls in so many places (I'm still new at all this). I still wonder if it's possible to get the headphones to work through my receiver; then overall volume adjustment for playback would be easy.

Thanks Richard. I checked the soundcard manual: I am connected to the recommended line out for headphones. The SoundBlaster has three line outs and a combination line in/digital i/o. I brought up the soundcard's Speaker Settings window and set it to headphones, which made no difference. The Volume Control is another little window, with only a slider on it (set high as it will go), no Advanced or Options button.

Hmm again. I just cranked up all the round Volume dials on each voice in the Kontakt Players as high as they will go; the mod wheel settings I always had high up. Previous settings (halfway on the dial) were ok with my inexpensive phones and speakers. Now I have decent volume with Garritan sounds, though not with the quick&dirty soundcard synth sounds, which are handy for development playback. It's confusing to have volume controls in so many places (I'm still new at all this). I still wonder if it's possible to get the headphones to work through my receiver; then overall volume adjustment for playback would be easy.
    Are you using the dry version or the X-Custom sound? I just discovered a bug with the X-Custom, and that could enter into your problem.

What happens when you use the stand alone version of GPO? Or GPO Studio?

Richard

what you really need is a small mixer like a behringer or the mackie big knob with a descrete headphone output amplifier. it will take the line out from your sound card and amplify the sound to the proper level for your phones. here is an example of something cheap that would work well:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUB502

good luck

Try a Samson Stereo Headphone Amp

Go Back to forum