• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Slight Garritan Orch Problem

Share/Bookmark

Slight Garritan Orch Problem

I am a somewhat recent user of both East West Silver Orchestra and Garritan's Orchestra. I have a bit more exprience with the EW library only because I've had it about two weeks longer. I bought the Garritan library awhile back during the massive "Group buy" program because so many of you stated that having both was a good idea. Since it was pretty inexpensive I thought what the hay. I haven't had a chance to listen to it until this week as I was finishing up a project I had already started and wanted to wait until I had completed it as not to complicate things.

On to the problem. I can not make the Garritan orchestra sound good at all! The only way to make it even tollerable is to put about 12db of a high eq shelf on everything. If I do not then there is no life to the instruments at all. At first I thought it might be my speakers or my headphones but I have auditioned and a/b just about all the instruments side by side in the new libraries and unfortunately that is not the problem.

So is there a trick to make the Garritan library sound good? I am not trying to be harsh but it just doesn't cut the mustard in it's present form. Is there maybe an update of two that I need to apply? If any of you have both load up the solo trumpet, solo violin, or violin section in both libraries and switch back and forth between them and hopefully you will hear what I am speaking of.

This isn't mean't to flame at all. I just want/need some info on how to make this thing sound better...

Thom

Smile Re: Slight Garritan Orch Problem

Do you realize that most garritan instruments are completely dependant on the mod wheel being moved from the zero position to be heard? Just wondering. GPO most definitely has a different color than EW's stuff but I dont think it does in the way that you are mentioning. If you werent aware of the mod wheel controlling dynamics, try it. Hope this helps because it's really a great product.

Eric

Re: Slight Garritan Orch Problem

Eric,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am actually aware of that but that was a very good issue for me to possibly troubleshoot. I actually quite like the control over the volume with the mod wheel. I takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it's quite usefull. I also like how it controls the timbre as well but I do wish the instruments where more than one velocity layer. Granted I don't know for a fact that they are just one but it really sounds like they are...

Thom

I am in the opposite direction. I bought GPO in the group buy, then purchased both Silver and Gold last week. I was dissapointed in Silvse as I can't seem to get it to work decently. SO, maybe you can help me?

GPO: I found a couple of things beyond the MOD wheel. I actually found GPO to be too LOUD.

Firstly, are you using ASIO enabled card? If not, try downloading ASIO4ALL. It makes a difference.

Secondly, I do NOT use the string sections, but build my string sections with solo plyr instruments. What a difference.

Thirdly, have you updated to the latest releeases of both NI and Garritan? Did you validate that the libraries were also updated?

Fouth: Try using some of the variant knobs on the performance settings. Also make sure you are using DRY instruments w the ambiant reverb.

Post any questions here

I don't have both to compare, but I've never had the need to high-cut the treble end in GPO.

So far as processing, I usually bring up the trim to boost the volume (as I do mostly small ensemble work and GPO is level-balanced for full orchestra) and add a chamber reverb. That's it.

Is this possibly an aliasing issue with converting sample rate/bit-depth in the host?

Otherwise, it could quite possibly just be a matter of personal taste.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by ThomWilkins
    Eric,

I also like how it controls the timbre as well but I do wish the instruments where more than one velocity layer.

Thom
    If I am not mistaken I think most of the EWQLSO silver/gold instruments also only have one velocity layer... Might be different with the Horns&brass though?

/
    Philo

Ha! I guess thats why they say "different strokes...."

Anyway, I have a highly tuned G5 with a RME card so that isn't the problem.

For me it's just that the Garritan instruments sound dead and dry with no life compared to the East West samples. See my inital post for the specifics.

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Philo
    If I am not mistaken I think most of the EWQLSO silver/gold instruments also only have one velocity layer... Might be different with the Horns&brass though?

/
    Philo
    yes, you are mistaken , Silver and Gold have multiple velocities on most instruments. You can access them either via velocity instruments or crossfade ones.

Luca

For me it's just that the Garritan instruments sound dead and dry with no life compared to the East West samples.
    Well, perhaps that's the difference? GPO samples are dry, while EWQLSO is recorded with the room sound printed on the sample. The reverb tends to bring about more warmth and roundness and other factors that bring it "alive". Does it sound the same to you when using the wet programs that use the Kontakt internal reverb?

Again, it may just be a taste issue: a lot of people love the EWQLSO hall reverb sound, but I like mine dry so I can position instruments in a smaller ensemble setting. The GPO updates don't change the samples, so they aren't likely to help if your ears simply aren't into the sound.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

I am a somewhat recent user of both East West Silver Orchestra and Garritan's Orchestra. I have a bit more exprience with the EW library only because I've had it about two weeks longer. I bought the Garritan library awhile back during the massive "Group buy" program because so many of you stated that having both was a good idea. Since it was pretty inexpensive I thought what the hay. I haven't had a chance to listen to it until this week as I was finishing up a project I had already started and wanted to wait until I had completed it as not to complicate things.

On to the problem. I can not make the Garritan orchestra sound good at all! The only way to make it even tollerable is to put about 12db of a high eq shelf on everything. If I do not then there is no life to the instruments at all. At first I thought it might be my speakers or my headphones but I have auditioned and a/b just about all the instruments side by side in the new libraries and unfortunately that is not the problem.

So is there a trick to make the Garritan library sound good? I am not trying to be harsh but it just doesn't cut the mustard in it's present form. Is there maybe an update of two that I need to apply? If any of you have both load up the solo trumpet, solo violin, or violin section in both libraries and switch back and forth between them and hopefully you will hear what I am speaking of.

This isn't mean't to flame at all. I just want/need some info on how to make this thing sound better...

Thom
    Hi Thom,

I see you only have three posts so obviously you are new to this, as you say.

You may not realise it but you've arrived at the right block of apartments for assistance but you're knocking on the wrong door!

You'll get help here but I would copy your post to the Garritan General Discussion forum where people will see it quicker!

I'm sure you're posting at this forum due to lack of awareness of the dedicated Garritan forums?

I hope this helps.

Frank

PS I saw that Gary Garritan himself is on the way to NAAM but someone else will help....I'm sure.

Go Back to forum