• Register
  • Help

Topic: "First Call Horns" sample library

Share/Bookmark

"First Call Horns" sample library

I have just listened to the demos of the First Call Horns sample library and can't decide if it's just the demos that are badly done or the library itself isn't that great. Has anyone else listened to them and would care to comment as i'm not an expert on this kind of brass sound.

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?769

Re: "First Call Horns" sample library

I am trying to connect, but the link is broken...
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Looks like their site is down. Was working ok this morning.

I will try later...
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Their site is back up now.

I'd be more interested in if this sound is out of the box, or if it's highly processed: I like a bit more mellowness and low-end roundness to my horns.

(Though I can see how these are tweaked to cut through a mix well.)

Second, I'm always curious as to the performance controllers a library has : being able to shape a performance is just as important as sample quality and number.

But I wouldn't say the demos sound *that* bad for the particular style (which admittedly isn't quite my bag). A bit less section/unison work might be nice to hear, but some people find ensemble building to be tiresome and want that "instant punch".

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

I remember listening to these a while back and thinking they didn't really deserve my money.

The demos are all very staccato. Not just detached, but like every note is REALLY short. It's hard not to think they're avoiding something - ie the fact that the sustains are not really up to much. Where you can hear them, they tend to bear this out.

All too brittle and "empty" for my liking. There are already loads of libraries out there that can do convincing staccatissimo stabs, which when combined with this sort of accompaniment will have the same kind of punchy, rhythmic panache. But what we need is ones that can do beautiful, sustained, legato whole notes, that sound so lovely they make you want to keep listening right through each note.

For God's sake, somebody get onto Gary's case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    All too brittle and "empty" for my liking.
    Welcome to the wonder world of the Kazoo

Jokes aside, I think it's lacking a lot of body, and I would've liked to hear more dynamics in the demos.

Go Back to forum