• Register
  • Help

Topic: X-Custom and Velocity Slider

Share/Bookmark

X-Custom and Velocity Slider

X-Cuss Some instruments should load in at full velocity, but with woodwinds & brass, that does not seem to be the situation here tonight. The X-Custom slider is at +100%, sound is about -99 %. The slider works backwards. Have I missed something somewhere? I have used GPO mostly for piano and organ, but tonight I have a powerful urge to work on a flute and piano piece. I can do it with pencil and paper, of course, but it is a bit easier using GPO, and the sound is better than the scratching of my pencil on the manuscript paper.

Advice, anyone?

Richard

Re: X-Custom and Velocity Slider

The X-Custom stuff is a mystery to me too. I tried it yesterday on flute and harp, set the CC#1 slider to 100% and the sound dropped to barely nothing. At -100% it was a little better, but I got the most sound at 0% = dry sample. In my understanding the slider should expand the dynamic workspace, making way for louder as well as softer passages. I played back from Finale in the mp-mf area. Could it be that anything from mf and down gets softer, and anything from mf and up gets louder? Or... because mf also got softer. One change I did notice: at 100% the timbre (flute) was notably brighter and at -100% it was more mellow.

I just took a quick look at the X-Custom instruments using the two most recent versions of the GPO player. It appears that the latest version for download has introduced some new problems with X-Custom instruments. I'm not sure if this means that NI must make some further adjustments to the player or if certain changes they have made to the latest player will make it necessary to modify the programming of the X-Custom instruments. I'll check with them when I get back next week. In the meantime, here is some information on the way the X-Custom instruments are supposed to work:

1. The slider has nothing to do with the level at which an instrument loads. It is an adjustment for dynamic range. A setting of +100% will give a full dynamic range of silence to maximum.

2. The controller assignment of the slider must match the function of the instrument and its programming. "Expressive" instruments should be assigned continuous controllers like cc1, cc2, and cc11. Velocity can also be used but, at least in older versions, the brightness control needed to be adjusted to get the timbre correct for that use. I don't have time right now to confirm that things are still working like that with the latest version but I would expect it to be. "Percussive" instruments should have the slider set only to velocity except for special effects. The slider can be used to adjust the total dynamic range of such instruments as the piano.

The inversion of the function of the slider is a malfunction in the way the latest version of the player handles the X-Custom programming. Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't tried any of the X-Custom instruments with the new version before tonight. It’s been a bumpy ride for the poor X-Custom instruments. Makes me want to put them out of their misery! Where is that delete button . . .

Tom

Well now, and I thought this was just a Styxx problem. Ha! Nice to know I am not all thumbs!
    Styxx

I'm glad it's not just me finding that velocity suddenly seems to reverse -thanks for the tip. I wouldn't bother with the X-custom instruments except for the obvious fact that you have to use them to make existing compositions play correctly unless you want to reprogramme all the volumes with the Mod wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I just took a quick look at the X-Custom instruments using the two most recent versions of the GPO player. It appears that the latest version for download has introduced some new problems with X-Custom instruments. I'm not sure if this means that NI must make some further adjustments to the player or if certain changes they have made to the latest player will make it necessary to modify the programming of the X-Custom instruments. I'll check with them when I get back next week. In the meantime, here is some information on the way the X-Custom instruments are supposed to work:

1. The slider has nothing to do with the level at which an instrument loads. It is an adjustment for dynamic range. A setting of +100% will give a full dynamic range of silence to maximum.

2. The controller assignment of the slider must match the function of the instrument and its programming. "Expressive" instruments should be assigned continuous controllers like cc1, cc2, and cc11. Velocity can also be used but, at least in older versions, the brightness control needed to be adjusted to get the timbre correct for that use. I don't have time right now to confirm that things are still working like that with the latest version but I would expect it to be. "Percussive" instruments should have the slider set only to velocity except for special effects. The slider can be used to adjust the total dynamic range of such instruments as the piano.

The inversion of the function of the slider is a malfunction in the way the latest version of the player handles the X-Custom programming. Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't tried any of the X-Custom instruments with the new version before tonight. It’s been a bumpy ride for the poor X-Custom instruments. Makes me want to put them out of their misery! Where is that delete button . . .

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins

Tom

I am considering re-installing the previous update, since otherwise my few hundred compositions are not usable without massive overhaul. This would be a stop-gap measure until you or NI update. I think that if I continue with the present player, that I will be creating problems when the next update arrives. I really need that wide dynamic sweep, and at the moment I am perplexed about the best course of acting.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I am considering re-installing the previous update, since otherwise my few hundred compositions are not usable without massive overhaul. This would be a stop-gap measure until you or NI update. I think that if I continue with the present player, that I will be creating problems when the next update arrives. I really need that wide dynamic sweep, and at the moment I am perplexed about the best course of acting.

Richard
    Well, to reply to myself, re-installing was not such a good idea this time. I am happy that I maintain good backups. Funny thing, after botching the re-installation, and restoring from my system backup, the thing seems to work better, the piao seems to work okay, but the flute, although sounding better, still has a reverse slider. Well, back to work on composing.

Richard

Go Back to forum