• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Streaming samples off a 400 GB SATA drive?

Share/Bookmark

Streaming samples off a 400 GB SATA drive?

Would this be pure foolishness?

My sample drive (250 GB) is currently at capacity and I'd like to keep everything on one drive if at all possible.

Anybody else doing this or at least considering it?

Re: Streaming samples off a 400 GB SATA drive?

Depending on the voice count you're streaming off the drive this is possible. If it stays about the same you should not run into problems.

Why keep things on one drive? If you're streaming strings from one drive and brass from the other, you'll get more polyphony during tuttis.

BTW, the Hitachi SATA drives looks like they have the best access time perfromance, this side of the Raptors.

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/...skstar-05.html

The 500 GB drive is a hot one though. Use with caution.

-JF

Look into the MAXTOR Maxline III Series for SATA II compliant 16mb buffer superdrives.

I had bad news today. I called satagear.com, and wanted to order a couple of external SATA II cases and also a SATAII PCMCIA card, They told me

1) SATA II doesnt work with laptops. Best performance you can get w/ laptops is FIREWIRE 400. PCMCIA is only 32 bit
    2) Windowz doesnt support FIREWIRE 800 bcause its 32bit...

So I am dissapointed...

This has been working for me:

http://www.storcase.com/rhinojr/fjr110.asp

I just bought a Seagate internal 300 GB drive and put it in the bay. I connect via firewire (800) to my Mac and PC.

Peace

Rik

Thanks for all the replies and good info everybody! I have a follow up question. Does anybody know how firewire 800 compares to SATA in terms of disk access speed and overall throughput?

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Why keep things on one drive? If you're streaming strings from one drive and brass from the other, you'll get more polyphony during tuttis.
    My boss (the guy I'm inquiring for) doesn't do a lot of big orchestral stuff. He just has a crapload of sounds and is constantly adding to the arsenal. He prefers to keep them on a single drive to keep things simple.

The answer is that they're the same drives with different controllers, so the seek times are going to be the same.

Anyway, I stream samples off a 400GB SATA drive on my G5 no problem. What are all these guys on about? It works great.

And I've heard conflicting reports about whether it's better to split the load across multiple drives. It makes intuitive sense that the seek time would go down, but I'm not so sure.

I also use Firewire, by the way - I was just saying that a 400GB SATA drive is the best choice right now, for the simple reason that those are the largest drives around and it makes sense to buy the largest drives you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    The answer is that they're the same drives with different controllers, so the seek times are going to be the same.

Anyway, I stream samples off a 400GB SATA drive on my G5 no problem. What are all these guys on about? It works great.
    I realize the drives are the same (or can be, anyway), but my question is essentially this: how much, if any, of a bottleneck does the FW800 bus impose on an SATA drive?

Go Back to forum