• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just a thought about sample-size and RAM

Share/Bookmark

Just a thought about sample-size and RAM

If you buy a cutting-edge sample library today, you will probably not have the RAM capacity (or Cpu-power for that matter) to use all of the library and all of your other libraries in one computer setup.
    Now, when you look back at the early 90s, when the size of libraries were quite small compared to todays standard, they had the same problems that we encounter today... (Although they had to buy a $xxxx hardware sampler to load sometimes a single patch)

Does it not annoy you that despite the relatively small samplesizes in older libraries, you can still sometimes discover problems when you want to sound "Wagnerian" in your mockups? If you have 2 or 4 gigs it is still not enough...

I guess I just have to wait until 2015 before I buy a lib like VSL, and then maybe, just maybe I will be able to use it in only one computer setup...
    Can't wait until 2 TerraBytes of RAM is standard in all PCs!!

Imagine if the tables turned (maybe it will someday, though I sincerely doubt so): Imagine if there were just too much RAM-capacity and the samplelib producers just couldn't make the libs big enough... Wouldn't that be cool?

Cheers!

Re: Just a thought about sample-size and RAM

Actually, I'd like to see which samplers can natively read ogg vorbis files as I wouldn't mind batching a few of my bigger libraries for each sample to be ogg vorbis. The compression is noce on cutting down the file size and you aren't losing much information so the sound quality would remain, so long as most instruments were chromatically sampled (as all my personal instruments are) and you didn't apply any crazy effects.

This would cut down on the sample size greatly and because the multisamples are much easier to compress than a full mix w/o losing fidelity it would be great to work that way in real time and then load the 24-bit wavs for the final render.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

The processing power would go through the roof Alan, I tried running a .ogg stream multiple times. My Athlon XP 2500+ coughed and produced hickups with more than 12 constant streams. So sparing 50% of the space but needing 800% of the processing power isn't too shabby IMHO.

Just add that darn second PC - it's not taking too much space and you can load the double amount of samples.

As I understand it, GS3 uses some lossless, lightweight compression already. I seem to recall claims that streaming 24-bit files with GS3 was equivalent to streaming 16-bit files with GS2.5.

From my experience, that claim sounds about right.

-JF

If you buy a cutting-edge sample library today, you will probably not have the RAM capacity (or Cpu-power for that matter) to use all of the library and all of your other libraries in one computer setup.
    ...which is why people who want to use these tools invest in multi-computer setups. You'd be surprised how much you can eke out of two Windows machines or one G5. That's not an outrageous investment - certainly not worth waiting until 2015.

(CPU power isn't really the issue, by the way, it's RAM access.)

Go Back to forum