• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bad slaves preventing boot?

Share/Bookmark

Bad slaves preventing boot?

Ever since I got my Gigastudio slave back from the computer store months ago, there has been a strange problem. Whenever I press the power button, it'll start goin', than it'll shut off after half a second. I'd then turn off the power supply, press/hold the power button a couple seconds, turn back on the power supply, than press the power button. I'd repeat this usually 5-10 times before the computer finally powered up normally. Recently the computer has been shutting off on its own every once in awhile, and so I finally did some trouble shooting:

I unplugged the slave HARDDRIVE's cables and powered up the computer. No problems there - powered up beautifully. I used the slaves cables and used it on the master harddrive (slave harddrive still unplugged though), powered up nicely - so that means there ain't nuttin' wrong with the cables... hopefully. I haven't tried completely switching both drives -- no screwdriver to switch it and the cables are too short to stretch all the way and...

ANYWAY! I just ran a diagnostic on the slave drive, and it passed. What could be causing this problem? I know it ain't my 420 watt power supply. I was going to pick up a new harddrive tommorow, but something seems fishy here. Before I took that computer to the store, everything was working great on it! After taking it home, I started having this problem and have been too busy to take it back to the store...

I always get the really really weird problems... Help!

Re: Bad slaves preventing boot?

Here are a few questions regarding things I try when faced with strange digital behavior:

Have you tried booting in safe mode? If so what were the results?

If safe mode works ok I might suspect damaged system files.

I don't know if "sfc /scannow" works from safe mode or not but it has eliminated more than three strange problems for me. It checks the integrity of Windows system files and fixes any damaged ones. Log on as administrator, go to a dos prompt, go to the root of your boot drive ("cd C:"), and then type "sfc /scannow"

Something to try until you can contact the techs at the store. Speaking of which, I hate to raise the question but how good are they? Have they done reliable work for you before?

Anyway good luck,

Chet
    Last edited by chet reinhardt; 07-19-2005 at 11:19 PM. Reason: got a smiley instead of "cd C:"

Have you checked voltage from the power supply? Maybe you're overloading your power supply if you have the slave running.

Since its a slave it should keep the computer from starting by simply have a bad sector or something.

I'd check the power supply.

The thing is, my computer has trouble simply booting up at all, let alone booting up long enough to open the bios. It's like trying to start a lawn mower...

Generally the computer tech guys are reliable, but I seem to have incredibly bad luck when it comes to computing problems. I always get the really odd ones nobody ever hears about and end up spending gobs of time figuring it out.

I managed to get the computer to turn back on, so for the time being I'm not going to turn that computer off. I'm on a deadline!!!!::

I only have two harddrives, and I have a 420 watt power supply. There's no chance it's overloading. If you're referring to the 115v switch - it's on 115v. I ran a diag on the drive in question - it passed. But maybe those aren't always reliable.

Not sure if it helps your problem : recently I had a corrupted partition table on one of my hard drives and I absolutely could not boot while that drive was plugged in, even thou the op sys was on another drive. An FDISK , repartition and reformat helped me at that time - lucky me, for hours I thought that my hard drive was dead.

Kornel

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Just buy a new drive, and see if that fixes it. It's not like you're going to not need drives, so if it fixes the problem, rock on, and toss the bad drive in the trash (or get an RMA and get it replaced if it's still under warranty).

If not, you'll eventually use the new drive anyway, so no big deal. That's about the only way you're going to figure it out.

I presume you double-checked the jumpers? It's easy to forget them when you're switching drives around.

Ernie

Yeah, if the slave is sitting on its own cable, pull the jumpers out altogether and try that.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    I only have two harddrives, and I have a 420 watt power supply. There's no chance it's overloading. If you're referring to the 115v switch - it's on 115v. I ran a diag on the drive in question - it passed. But maybe those aren't always reliable.
    I'm sorry to say, but there is.

Go Back to forum