• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gary - let me introduce Tom Kubis

Share/Bookmark

Gary - let me introduce Tom Kubis

Gary,

Tom Kubis is one of my favourite Big Band composer/arrangers - and he has shown an interest in us GPO'ers having a friendly competition to mock up one of his charts when JABB is released.

Just as a flavour, here is a July 4th style example of his work:

http://www.tomkubis.com/mp3/americathebeautiful.mp3

p.s. I don't know what samples he uses for his demos but they sound good!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Gary - let me introduce Tom Kubis

Wow, that's a nice demo. My ears tell me that soprano sax is live (not sampled), as are the rest of the saxes (probably). The trumpet sounds like it's being played via a breath-controlled instrument like a WX-7 or EWI/EVI. But that's a great lead trumpet patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Gary,

Tom Kubis is one of my favourite Big Band composer/arrangers - and he has shown an interest in us GPO'ers having a friendly competition to mock up one of his charts when JABB is released.
    I had the honor of studying with Kubis in the late 70's at Golden West College in southern California. I learned an amazing amount of information from him! I still have his hand-written curriculum notes. He's an amazing guy.
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Gary,

Just as a flavour, here is a July 4th style example of his work:

http://www.tomkubis.com/mp3/americathebeautiful.mp3

p.s. I don't know what samples he uses for his demos but they sound good!
    Richard,

Thanks for the introduction. Can you put us in touch with Mr. Kubis. Competition for GPO'ers to mock up his charts is a great idea. Let's follow up after NAMM.

Gary Garritan

Gary,

I've sent you and Mr Kubis an email - I'm getting excited about this potential collaboration!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I played many Tom Kubis charts as piano player in the Cal State Long Beach Big Band. John Pattitucci was playing bass. Kubis was in the band a year or two before me (with Jimmy Cox on piano.) That incarnation had to be the best college band in the nation that year - hands down.

Kubis is really as talented as a musician can be and one of the best composer/arrangers I've ever heard. I still spin the record we made under John Prince with several Kubis arrangements.

Dave Connor

Go Back to forum