• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase + Giga novice nightmare

Share/Bookmark

Cubase + Giga novice nightmare

OK, I'm a thicky-doughnut. Even the "...for Dummies" series leaves me floundering in unfathomably frustrating f***ing futility. (Please interpret the alliteration as a fortissimissimissimo cry for help...)

I use a PC (XP) & Cubase SX3 + I just bought Giga Studio 3 & Vienna Symphonic Library.
    I can't seem to access the sounds through Cubase. Help! I've heard words like 'fx-max' and 'rewire', though I have no idea what they are, nor if I do in fact need them, so I'm desperately hoping to speak to someone who has a similar set-up.

Please forgive my simple & general question, but I'm thwarted by at least one technical term on every 'help' page I read. I don't suppose someone could come to my rescue and spell out for me what in tarn-bloody-ation I'm not doing right?

Thanks a lot, and oh - this being my first post - HELLO EVERYBODY!

Matheson

Re: Cubase + Giga novice nightmare

You might want to start by making certain that your computer's "sound card" is GSIF (GigaSampler Interface) compatable.

Check this link: http://www.tascamgiga.com/support/hardware.php

There is no need for a GSIF Card if you run GS through Rewire...
    Have a look at your manual... There is everything about Rewire.

Well, excuse me Mr. Overhead..........

but, my GigaStudio 2.54 owners' manual doesn't say sh*t about using "Rewire".

I guess that maybe you composers who've already "upgraded" to Giga 3 can help out Matheson. I'm still using Giga 2.54, myself.... and it's still workin' great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M. Thomas
    That is because GS 2.54 is not rewire capable...

To Fructose -- I understand your frustration. Getting one of these systems up and running properly can be a daunting task for even the jaded veterans. As a respondent on another forum recommended -- keep it simple for now. Run Cubase from within Gigastudio (select Cubase as your sequencer from the Global options tab, and launch it using the 'sequencer' button at the top of the GS Interface). You should now be able to configure your midi outs in Cubase to point to the midichannels in GS. (Or, if you are using the VSL performance Tool, from cubase to the tool, and then to GS). Direct audio directly out of GS to your soundcard (again configurable on the Global tab.)

You should now be able to play midi in from a controller into Cubase, and have the samples loaded in the applicable channels in GS sound. You cannot record the resulting audio in Cubase under this setup, but that gets more complicated with either patching audio into and out of your soundcard, or using Rewire or a third party tool. One step and a time. At least this way you can start to audition VSL sounds, learn more about the GS environment, and start setting up a template.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M. Thomas
    Well, excuse me Mr. Overhead..........

I'm sorry Gary, I meant the Cubase manual.
    I didn't know that GS 2.x doesn't support Rewire...

Like Existence said, I suggest to route the midi stuff into Gigastudio, mix there and then record all the stuff with The GS function. I saw a red button in Screenshots from GS3. I'm unable to say if this applies to GS2 too, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhead
    Like Existence said, I suggest to route the midi stuff into Gigastudio, mix there and then record all the stuff with The GS function. I saw a red button in Screenshots from GS3. I'm unable to say if this applies to GS2 too, sorry.
    Yes. GS3 and GS2 both support recording. The feature is called "Capture To Wave".

In GS2 you can record a single stereo wave file at one time. In GS3 you can record as many wave files as you have GSIF compatible audio output pairs in a single pass.

A GSIF audio card isn't required if you run GS3 in rewire mode, but it's really nice to have. The least expensive, popular solutions are the M-Audio Audiophile 2596 and the Echo MIA.

-JF

Good point Jon -- I guess I meant that 'performance recording in real time was not possible with this set up.' The capture to wave function is recording though, so it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhead
    I'm sorry Gary, I meant the Cubase manual.
    I didn't know that GS 2.x doesn't support Rewire...

No problem, Overhead. That's cool.

One day, I will make the big jump to GigaStudio 3. Then, I'll be a little more familiar with the newest changes to this already awesome sampler.

By the way... Welcome to the NorthernSounds forum.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Go Back to forum