• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX - How do I create fills and variations?

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Stylus RMX - How do I create fills and variations?

Hello Everybody

Before I start - yes I am a newbie. So I will say sorry in advance if I am asking for something that has already been covered in this forum.

I have been looking for a "Drum solution" for my newly created Cubase-based PC office/studio and been looking at lots of reviews comments.

So........I have bought Stylus RMX last week - then went back and bought the SAGE Expanders because I was so impressed with the awesome sounds. Ok, Eric, I won't keep on about how good it is - I'm sure you can tell I'm extremely impressed!

But ..... I have a question to ask:

I am trying to use RMX to build traditional drum structures like intro, verse1, fill, chorus1, fill, verse2 and so on.

If I use the Backbeat expander then all is well because there are several elements in a suite that can be used for, say, verse chorus and bridge (for example 124 – Classic Rock) – it even specifically has grooves for fills- brilliant! But many of the suites (including lots of the core library) don’t have such structure (for example 118 - Beat Concrete) – indeed some suites only have one element (for example 63 – Electric Soul).

I’m confused what to do – do I have to construct my own chorus and fill variations for the suites that don’t contain them? The reason why I’m confused is I don’t understand why some suites are “full of elements” and some are not. What I’m really worried about is that I’m afraid that I may have missed the point somewhere. Maybe I am not using RMX for its intended purpose. I don’t really want to ALWAYS have to use “Slice Menu MIDI Mode” to construct patterns – I just want to (sometimes) use pre-arranged drums in my songs!

What would help me is if other RMX users could reply to this post illustrating how they use RMX “for real” – especially if they also like to create “traditional” style songs. This might well help many other RMX newbies and not just slow old me.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will give time to respond to this.

TyH

Re: Stylus RMX - How do I create fills and variations?

Quote Originally Posted by tyronehowe

I am trying to use RMX to build traditional drum structures like intro, verse1, fill, chorus1, fill, verse2 and so on.

If I use the Backbeat expander then all is well because there are several elements in a suite that can be used for, say, verse chorus and bridge (for example 124 – Classic Rock) – it even specifically has grooves for fills- brilliant! But many of the suites (including lots of the core library) don’t have such structure (for example 118 - Beat Concrete) – indeed some suites only have one element (for example 63 – Electric Soul).
    RMX is more geared toward remix style (hence the name), so the core library suites are organized around elements that build up, rather than variations. However, you can use Chaos to create fills, using automation to bring it in at the end of a section. In addition, as you mentioned, the XPanders, especially BackBeat, are available and are suitable for traditional song structures.

- Glenn

GlennO is super right.

The core library is more towards electronica beats, so I would suggest you to listen to alot of electronic music (trip-hop, downtempo, etc.). Most of these artists use loops with no fills and use very creative ways of making intros and transitions through use of filters and such that you can do with RMX.

However, if live drum patterns are what you would prefer to work with, let me suggest Discrete Drums.

I believe M-Audio is distributing these in REX 2 format, which means they'll import into the RMX. I have 3 of these libraries, and slowly but surely, have been using Recycle to chop them up, and import them into RMX.

The fact that they are available in REX format will make your life a lot easier!

RMX definitely will work in this capacity, although as previously mentioned, it's initial concept was as a remix tool.

Live drum loops tend to work better, or at least initially, easier, when working straight with wave or AIFF files. But the second the tempo of the live drum loops isn't exactly where you need them, RMX is a lifesaver.

Also , check out Drums on Demand..it is geared more towards traditional songwriting and arrangements..you'll get all your intros , verses etc etc in multiple different styles and they ar also offered in REX 2 format which Stylus is compatible with.

best

Yves

Smile Re: Stylus RMX - How do I create fills and variations?

Hi All

First of all – thanks for your replies, especially for the speed of reply.

I have spent the last few days looking at RMX and its expanders in more detail. I am getting happier all the time.

To GlennO: Do you know, it didn’t click with me that RMX meant remix. D’Oh.

To Nayi: yes, thank you. I realise that now. I think I must be making more “old-fashioned” music. But …. I can still rock … a bit!

One of the problems I had is that I assumed a magazine reviewer knew what he was talking about (Groove Agent 2 was reviewed a couple of months ago – I can’t remember the magazine name). I was originally looking at Steinberg’s Groove Agent 2 – because I knew it specifically has different “variations” on each drum genre - actually it has 25 variations for each of its 70 genres – and each variation has a corresponding fill – wow – 25 variations and 25 fills for each genre! The reviewer said that Groove Agent 2 was limited in sounds and that either Battery 2 or Stylus RMX would be MUCH better.

Hmmmm. What the reviewer didn’t say is that neither Battery 2 nor Stylus RMX do exactly what Groove Agent 2 does (i.e. have lots of variations per style). Very misleading. Having now bought RMX and investigated, I can see that, yes, it does have some variations – especially in the Burning Grooves expander and the sound quality is simply exceptional. Battery 2 also has exceptional sounding drums but no loops or patterns that I can see – so you need to actually know how to play the drums!! (Which I don’t!)

So anyway, to cut a long story short, I am now at peace. Back Beat, Retro Funk and Burning Grooves (and even Liquid Grooves to an extent) all have some variations to allow me to try verse/chorus/bridge/fill type styles. I had just become a little down because I had originally only looked at the grooves that came with Stylus RMX, which as Nayi says is more geared towards electronic music.

To Jaimo: Thank you for your information. I have since used the SAGE conversion tool to convert my Steinberg Drum Sessions discs into RMX files and it works a treat. I can play them in RMX very easily, have loads of variations plus use the great RMX effects!

To Yves: Thanks for mentioning “Drums on Demand” – they look very interesting! Once I got bored with all the Steinberg Drum Sessions and RMX Expanders, I will move on to those!

Once again, thanks guys – I really appreciate your comments

TyH

Or...
    You could play a fill manually by finding the keys that trigger the sounds you want to play for a fill.

Go Back to forum