• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to connect Gigastudio to the Sequencer

Share/Bookmark

How to connect Gigastudio to the Sequencer

Hi Everybody. After reading the topics here for some time i finally decided to register to be part of the Show

(Unfortunately my previous text got lost when i tried to submit it, so I'm retyping it - perhaps a bit shorter.. raaah)

At the moment i use 2 PCs:
    1. Cubase SX for mixing, dynamics, small reverbs...
    2. FX Teleport demo running some VST effects (Reverb mainly)

in the future I'd like to get a third PC for sample playback purposes (lets say in a year)

I now want to buy Gigastudio to be able to perfectly use the Giga format (Keyswitch an Modwheel-action). All the other samplers don't satisfy me because they always convert everthing etc.
    So Gigastudio would be my new sampler (In the first PC for the moment) and I will mix every instrument in the Cubase Mixer running some Reverb things from the second PC.
    Unforunately it isn't so easy.

How to "connect" Gigastudio to the Rest? Rewire? Giga VST?
    I heard that Rewire likes to use monochannels. That would mean that I would have to fully pan to left and right 2 mono channels to get one correct stereo-thing. And the to send it in a bus to mix it etc. No thanks!
    And Giga VST only supports 16 Stereo Channels.

Lets say i have 24 Stereo outputs in Gigastudio... Should i mix entirely in Gigastudio? And use Cubase only as a Midisequencer?
    What if I need to outsource the Sampling? Is the only way Giga VST?

How would you handle this? Or how DO you actually do this?
    Any sugestion to anything I said is very welcome. I want to be sure that eveything works to avoid big tears
    Thank you very very much

Re: How to connect Gigastudio to the Sequencer

Quote Originally Posted by Overhead
    Lets say i have 24 Stereo outputs in Gigastudio... Should i mix entirely in Gigastudio? And use Cubase only as a Midisequencer?
    What if I need to outsource the Sampling? Is the only way Giga VST?
    Welcome!

I use GS the old fashioned way - I drive it with MIDI from the seqeuncer, and do all of the mixing in GS3. When it's time to print, I just do a CaptureToWave. If you get Orchestra, you can use all eight ports, right up until you hit the RAM or Polyphony limit.

-JF

It really depends on how you like to work. If you need to do automated mixes in real time (and with 24 tracks you just might) then it would be better to bring the audio back into Cubase and mix there. Also, if you have other samplers and/or romplers or audio tracks as part of your compostion, then again mixing in SX would be the way to go.

If you can work as John does and render audio as you go, then it makes the whole 'rewire' or hard-patching through soundcards unnecessary (although how John knows that, say, his tuba part is just right and ready to commit to tape before he finishes his bass trombone parts I'll never know...)

Hm, thanks so far to both of you

Difficult...
    I think I will be recording with Cubase an do some group/bus mixing there.
    So there are three alternatives:
    • Midi from the sequencer to GS an mixing and recording there.

• Midi from the sequencer to GS and routing back to the sequencer via rewire. Some mixing here, some mixing there.

• Midi from the Sequencer via FX-Teleport to GS an routing back to the sequencer via... FX-Teleport? Some mixing here, some mixing there.
    Is that right?
    Can someone say sth about the Rewire-mono issue i mentionned in my first post?

I will add some VST instruments (other samplers, synthesisers etc) for my more "modern" projects. But with alternative 2 and 3 I can easily add the stuff in Cubase, "even if" there is only one stereo channel coming from GS.

If I want to use GS on another computer the only way is the teleport thing, right? (Or the use of another soundcrad bla routed in an input on my main card etc.)

Thanks for "welcoming" me (even in other threads)

Post Re: How to connect Gigastudio to the Sequencer

I agree with Mr. Fairhurst. The old fashioned way is definitely the best in terms of reliability and performance. But, if you are dead set on using "network/virtualized" connections between the Sequencer and Giga (remember- you have both MIDI and audio to contend with), I've found MIDIoverLan being much more reliable than "audio over lan" via things like FXGiga. For me, I've opted to configure my Giga box just like any other piece of external audio gear- has its own sound card (btw, highly recommend RME HD9652), and I connect the audio to the sequencer via ADAT. In fact, I use an ADAT patch bay from Frontier Designs to allow easy patching from my digital mixer, Giga, Sequencer - each configured with 3 pairs of ADAT for 24 channels.

The other nice thing about the 9652 is that it supports kernel-level GSIF midi by virtue of having 2 physical MIDI ports on the card. So I just connect 2 pairs of MIDI cables into my MIDI patch bay - and I've never needed more than 32 MIDI channels in GIGA so being limited to two ports is fine.

The key difference for me is that I can do my recordings in Cubase (from Giga) with this setup, or as previously posted, do the submix in Giga and send the audio either to a WAV (tho this is redundant) or directly into Cubase.

All said, the only extra expense for this was the additional audio card - not trival - but because it solved both the MIDI and audio with plenty of capacity, it was worth every penny when u figure by cost per channel and/or port.

Above all, do not rely on REWIRE. Running Giga on the same machine as Cubase- definitely not recommended. Competing applications that tax the machine very differently; IMO, it just doesn't work at any acceptable level of performance. Functionaly yes, but pragmatically, no. Plus, you'll get tons of latency with Rewire. Just say no.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Overhead
    Hm, thanks so far to both of you

Can someone say sth about the Rewire-mono issue i mentionned in my first post?
    Not totally sure as I don't use Cubase, but if it works like Sonar you will get one stereo pair of rewire returns (1/2) and then single mono channels thereafter. Not a huge problem as you can set up a template in Cubase that configures the proper routing and panning, and stereo linking to make adjacent channels work like stereo pairs -- just takes a bit more set up time. (Sonar itself is limited to 16 rewire channels from each rewire client -- kind of a bummer, and I don't think Cubase suffers this issue...)

Ok, that's exactly what i heard. One stereo and some stereo...
    Hm...
    When i use Gigastudio on a second computer. is it best to use GIga Teleport? Is ist the only possibility? Id ont really want to route soundcard outputs (second computer) to ma primary computers inputs...

Go Back to forum