• Register
  • Help

Topic: Roll up MIDI controller?!

Share/Bookmark

Roll up MIDI controller?!

Fruit roll ups have become so popular that they've decided to expand the idea...

I was looking for a smaller MIDI controller to go on the road in the RV to use with my laptop, and I think this might be it... Not available here yet but a German website has it listed for 79 Euros (about $95 USD). Not the ideal kind of MIDI controller, but perfect for something compact to use for basic things when travelling.

Miditech Play'n Roll

This foldable bus-powered MIDI controller features 37 piano-size soft keys; MIDI channel, program change, and octave shift buttons; and a USB port for direct PC connection. Soft case and USB cable included.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Re: Roll up MIDI controller?!

Wow that's pretty cool! What flavor do they come in?
    Styxx

Do they have a version with weighted keys?

Seriously, I wonder if it supports velocity well? If so, it could be useful.

-JF

Seriously, I wonder if it supports velocity well? If so, it could be useful.
    Yeah, I hope there's some kind of velocity sensitivity there, but if not, no big deal as for me this would really be used as an emergency/rough sketch/fooling around kind of thing while on the road. I can tweak or rerecord everything better when I'm home or adjust the controller data. As long as notes can be played in reasonably well, that'll be the important thing. And the saving of space is worth a lot.

What, no aftertouch??
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    What, no aftertouch??
    I don't mean to go OT, but what exactly is aftertouch? And what does it control?

-Chris

Well, it looks like it would be great for timp rolls!
    (Jon, you beat me to it about the weighted action.. I had exactly the same thought!)
    Seriously though, I have my doubts about it handling velocity (which actually measures the time it takes for the key to reach its "down" position).. here, the keys don't look like they have any mechanical travel at all, probably just simple contact switches (particularly for that very reasonable price).. and if it handles aftertouch, surprise would have to give way to astonishment!
    (quick OT for cptexas)... you can think of aftertouch as being a controller, similar to a modwheel, but the mechanism is under the keyboard... once you have pressed a key far enough down (where on an acoustic piano it would simply make contact with the wood underneath).. here it makes physical contact with a fairly resistant horizontal "bar" (this is of course a simplified description), which is capable of being pressed down still further (hence the "after" in aftertouch), and as that bar moves down, it sends out continuous data very similar to any other controller, and it then depends on the sound module in what way that data is used (in the GPO X-Custom presets, it can for example be used instead of the modwheel). It is most useful for making subtle modulations, like adding vibrato depth, or maybe a little brilliance, to the sound during its sustain period. The full correct term for this is "Channel Aftertouch", because when you press down on a note it also affects all other notes that are also playing on that channel. A more elaborate (and more expensive!) alternative is called "Polyphonic Aftertouch", which has separate captors under every note, so it affects only the note that it belongs to... that allows for some remarkable expressivity, and can even be used to pitch-bend individual notes within a chord (great for doing Jimi Hendrix impressions!)

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    Well, it looks like it would be great for timp rolls!
    (Jon, you beat me to it about the weighted action.. I had exactly the same thought!)
    Seriously though, I have my doubts about it handling velocity (which actually measures the time it takes for the key to reach its "down" position).. here, the keys don't look like they have any mechanical travel at all, probably just simple contact switches (particularly for that very reasonable price).. and if it handles aftertouch, surprise would have to give way to astonishment!
    (quick OT for cptexas)... you can think of aftertouch as being a controller, similar to a modwheel, but the mechanism is under the keyboard... once you have pressed a key far enough down (where on an acoustic piano it would simply make contact with the wood underneath).. here it makes physical contact with a fairly resistant horizontal "bar" (this is of course a simplified description), which is capable of being pressed down still further (hence the "after" in aftertouch), and as that bar moves down, it sends out continuous data very similar to any other controller, and it then depends on the sound module in what way that data is used (in the GPO X-Custom presets, it can for example be used instead of the modwheel). It is most useful for making subtle modulations, like adding vibrato depth, or maybe a little brilliance, to the sound during its sustain period. The full correct term for this is "Channel Aftertouch", because when you press down on a note it also affects all other notes that are also playing on that channel. A more elaborate (and more expensive!) alternative is called "Polyphonic Aftertouch", which has separate captors under every note, so it affects only the note that it belongs to... that allows for some remarkable expressivity, and can even be used to pitch-bend individual notes within a chord (great for doing Jimi Hendrix impressions!)
    Ooooooooh!!
    So that's why channel aftertouch is always a plus for controlling vibrato!
    Me want!!!

Sounds useful!

Thanks for the clarification!

Exclimation points on every sentence!

-Chris!

Go Back to forum