• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Any non-Mac Dual CPU folks out there? :)

Share/Bookmark

Any non-Mac Dual CPU folks out there? :)

Anyone using a dual-core processor (Intel or AMD) with GPO?
    Does it make any difference?
    It'll really effect my purchasing decision, and the new Intel dual-core processor (ridiculously hot as it may be) is quite affordable!

If nothing else, would it help if running overture & GPO together as we normally might?
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Re: Any non-Mac Dual CPU folks out there? :)

No thoughts?

[QUOTE=BlueMax]Anyone using a dual-core processor (Intel or AMD) with GPO?

Most technical reviews based on benchmarks as well as real apps conclude that AMD 64x2, though more expensive, than Intel Dual core, is superior due to its design. Unfortunately, the AMD 64 x2 4400+ CPU w 1Mb cache for each CPU is not shipping to my distributors so I can't begin to build a system. Some internet retailers claim to have stock but only with the 512Mb cache and the prices are quite high.

I have every expectation that GPO apps ought to benefit from dual core, whether, Intel or AMD, but we'll have to see just how much and in what way.

Although I don't really have much to add, I thought I'd post this just so you don't feel so alone in your eagerness to dream about how this new technology will improve GPO performance.

Dan

hmmmm... I don't suppose that the notation programs use a lot of CPU power anyways. If 90% of the power is by the GPO Playback (Kontact?) and 10% by the Music App of choice, dual-cpu won't do much.

Wild theory..... who knows?

On the other hand, if your music software is doing some track mixing as well, it'd be more like a 50-50 split, and perfect for dual-cpu use.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    hmmmm... I don't suppose that the notation programs use a lot of CPU power anyways. If 90% of the power is by the GPO Playback (Kontact?) and 10% by the Music App of choice, dual-cpu won't do much.

Wild theory..... who knows?

On the other hand, if your music software is doing some track mixing as well, it'd be more like a 50-50 split, and perfect for dual-cpu use.
    An application will need to be made to take advantage of the dual processor or else it still will just use one. Kontakt 2 has made this change and has a checkbox for dual processor support.
    Chris

Wouldn't one core handle Kontact while another CPU runs the music app? Not so much that one program uses both CPUs, but rather one is dedicated to each necessary portion of GPO.

I suppose a P4 with HT is a kind of fake dual core light. When I run Cubasis with GPO on a P4 3.2E Prescott, both logical processors are fairly equally utilized. When I run Finale2005/PrintMusic2004 with GPO, one logical CPU is maxed out and the other is having a leisure time. So it looks like it depends heavily on the host program.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscaouette
    An application will need to be made to take advantage of the dual processor or else it still will just use one. Kontakt 2 has made this change and has a checkbox for dual processor support.
    Chris
    Whoa.... that's a big deal isn't it? Wouldn't two CPU's make a HUGE difference with a large orchestra with that feature?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    Whoa.... that's a big deal isn't it? Wouldn't two CPU's make a HUGE difference with a large orchestra with that feature?
    Kontakt 2 definitely utilizes both of my CPU's. I'm running Opteron 246s. I haven't really tried too many instruments at once yet, but it does great with large pianos.

Well, it may be smouldering hot, but the new Intel dual-core Pentium4 is actually quite affordable at only $300CDN! (Compared to $700 for the cheapest AMD X2.)

I'd prefer the cooler, faster AMD chip, but that $400 is better spent in RAM, video, software.... well... just about anything.

2.8GHz is decent speed for GPO already, but add a second core at the same speed, and the software can use it, you're rockin'!

I have every intent to using BIG, BIG, BIG orchestras! MWAHAHAhahaHAAAA!!!

Go Back to forum