• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where are the triplet grooves?

Share/Bookmark

Question Where are the triplet grooves?

I think I've seen something about this before posted before,(or was it actually about odd time sigs?)...anyway:

This perhaps reflects our cultural rhythmic preferences in the West, but it seems there are not many triplet based (whether 12/8 or 6/8) grooves in the VI world, or on sample CDs for that matter.

I don't mean blues/boogie-type shuffle grooves with the accent on the first and third triplets in 12/8. What I'd like to find is more of those rhythms which have a flowing kind of ambiguity in them with 6 against 4. Kind of African, if you will."Traditional" ethnic rhythm samples are not what i want, as they usually have that "field" sound and I'm looking for hi-fi.

I have quite a few libraries including RMX but so far didn't find anything in this line. The drum sounds in RA do sound superb, though. Sometimes it's possible to do some tricksing with editing 4/4 loops but it's not the greatest fun!

I guess I'll have to "roll my own", but I've become rather spoilt with the sonic excellence and easy handling of Stylus RMX ;-).

Can anyone point me to a good source?

thanks!

Nigel

Re: Where are the triplet grooves?

All the grooves in RMX can be easily used in a triplet feel by simply quantizing the MIDI Files to Triplets...it works really great BTW.

Different time signatures require a little more MIDI editing, but it's not too difficult.

We'll have a special new video tutorial showing exactly how to do this to download in a few weeks on our site. It's very cool and informative on exploring this side of RMX...stay tuned! :-)

All the best,

spectrum

ah, the master himself...thanks!!

-the triplet quantizing does work astoundingly well, though i find the grooves tend to translate to what I call a "boogie" feel ( accent on triplets 1+3, whereas the 6 against 4 I'm looking for needs the second triplet accented too). That's probably because the 16th right after the beat is more a feature of Cuban music than western Funk;-)

Would it be possible to get Stylus to quantize the playback, so as to save having to drag'n'drop the Midifile AND quantize in Logic....I mean, that really is a LOT of work we're expected to do hahaha:-))))

but hmm...how about a Groove Bender as an Update?

best wishes

Nigel

You know, by adding one more layer of indirection to the element pointers (those pieces of data that point to the address of the actual sample) it would be easy to have a 'skip this slice' check box...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum