• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Totally Cool Dept: Optimus Keyboard

Share/Bookmark

Totally Cool Dept: Optimus Keyboard

Check out the Optimus Keyboard where every key is a stand-alone miniature display showing exactly what it being controlled. You can make individual keys have different icons for different functions. http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

The possiblities are endless for a host of applications. Now we can even program some GPO visual hotkeys.

Re: Totally Cool Dept: Optimus Keyboard

Dagnabbitall little Luke! Nothings opening and Hassey is in the barn with Papinus and we can't savor the moment of this new innovation!
    Gee Wally, not another device to add to my wish list.
    Yeah, well ah, sure Beave. What did ya expect?
    Gee Wally, I guess mom was right.

Now we can even program some GPO visual hotkeys.
    Wasn't the Dukes of Hazard the first to come out with visual hot pants on their program?
    Styxx

Cool! I wish I had shares in that company. It's gonna be a megaseller.

If/when it emerges, I'll be buying. I can think of way too many cool uses for it!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Thanks, Gary!
    Now I can maybe put a keyboard like this on my new computer that I'm putting together!
    That'd be so cool!

-Chris

Someone had to design something like this eventually!.. looks amazing!
    Depending on what is used for illuminating them, they may very well be "hot" keys in every sense of the word!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Check out the Optimus Keyboard where every key is a stand-alone miniature display showing exactly what it being controlled. You can make individual keys have different icons for different functions. http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

The possiblities are endless for a host of applications. Now we can even program some GPO visual hotkeys.

Very cool technology. Their web site is filled with humor. A good sign. Check out their FAQs on this keyboard!
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

It's been a long time since I've seen something that made me say "That's REALLY cool"... And this definitely is... Let's hope that they are actually able to implement it and sell it...

IMHO, of course....

A pathetic attempt to cash in on a idea that failed many years ago. People with half a brain train NOT to look at the keyboard, so I doubt many will feel this is anything BUT counter-productive. I mean come on, the worst example is for gaming... "oh no, monster ahead, must attack, what's that damn fire key again!?" The same goes for most professional applications, including audio apps. Most people at my office just LOVE clicking about and hate to learn hotkeys, so maybe this might help their poor souls? For people with typing jobs, it's completely useless. Multilingual aspects are the only thing it's got going for it, so I suppose it's not a complete waste of time.

Brain Edwards

I wonder how you'll be able to program this keyboard. I hope it doesn't involve anything too complicated. Hopefully no scripting, but then again, I know nothing about software and that stuff.
    I'm just trying to figure out how you can make the keyboard display a certain picture, and make that particular key do something as meticulous as open the piano roll view, or the score view, or to play, or to load a certain instrument (which is what I'd like to use it for). It would be much easier to program (I imagine) if just one key opened a certain program (which I'd also take advantage of).

Speaking of, (going a little OT here) I have a onetouch external hard drive from Maxtor and you can program that one-touch button to open an application or file. I have mine set up to open the file of my most recent project. Imagine with this keyboard, I can have all of my projects/programs layed out on the keyboard in just default windows mode. That'd be so cool!

-Chris

Go Back to forum