• Register
  • Help

Topic: help: what exactly is GPO?

Share/Bookmark

help: what exactly is GPO?

Ok, I understand it is a program with realistic samples of orchestra instruments, and it comes with its own notation program etc, but I am unsure exactly how it fits into the process of writing MIDIs & music.

Currently I write western art type stuff on programs like noteworthy composer, or even guitar pro since I know the program inside out. I'm looking quite seriously into this program because a) I'll have much higher quality sounding samples, and b) I'll have MP3s! lol

So how would GPO fit into this? Would I continue writing music with the existing programs, then do I assign samples to the tracks I have written in GPO? Is it difficult to do? How do I add in some of the cool percussion that comes with the program If I'm unsure how to notate it with the programs I am currently using to write music? Does GPO allow for mixing the samples to get the right mix & balance, as I have found when other people have given my MIDIs the MP3 treatment, it reeks havoc on the mix, lol

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, I am a real nOOb on synths and samples, and am unsure whether to make the plunge into this program!

Re: help: what exactly is GPO?

Hi echoes and welcome to the forum!
    I am not quite sure exactly what you’re asking. GPO is easily integrated into any midi file either to enhance your existing work or to use on it's own. If you've ever wanted the sound of a full orchestra with your work this is by far the best to work with.
    There are some excellent users on this forum that can help you further with your concerns. I've always said to those who may have some doubt as to purchasing GPO. If you are serious about your work, go for it!
    Good luck!
    Styxx

Hi echoes and welcome to the forum!

GPO is a collection of orchestral instrument sounds, a player and programs to help you make music. It provides high-quality sounds of all the instruments of an orchestra and allows you to build orchestras of various sizes. In addition to the sounds, GPO also includes the Kontakt Player to play the sounds with. GPO also comes with a Sequencer (cubasis) and Overture SE (a notation program) in case you do not have your own programs. GPO also works with popular notation programs like Finale, Sibelius, Overture and Noteworthy composer.

Let's say you are working on a Western in Noteworthy composer and you need a string section, or a horn section, some percussion or honky tonk piano sound. You would Noteworthy composer, write your score and play the GPO sounds from the score using GPO Studio. You would continue working in Noteworthy Composer and the set up is not too difficult to do.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by echoes
    Ok, I understand it is a program with realistic samples of orchestra instruments, and it comes with its own notation program etc, but I am unsure exactly how it fits into the process of writing MIDIs & music.

Currently I write western art type stuff on programs like noteworthy composer, or even guitar pro since I know the program inside out. I'm looking quite seriously into this program because a) I'll have much higher quality sounding samples, and b) I'll have MP3s! lol

So how would GPO fit into this? Would I continue writing music with the existing programs, then do I assign samples to the tracks I have written in GPO? Is it difficult to do? How do I add in some of the cool percussion that comes with the program If I'm unsure how to notate it with the programs I am currently using to write music? Does GPO allow for mixing the samples to get the right mix & balance, as I have found when other people have given my MIDIs the MP3 treatment, it reeks havoc on the mix, lol

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, I am a real nOOb on synths and samples, and am unsure whether to make the plunge into this program!

Another welcome to the NS cult!
    I also use noteworthy composer. Great program, isn't it?
    Anyway, GPO is very easy to work with noteworthy composer. When everything is set up correctly (which is very simple and easy to do), you will point your MIDI tracks to GPO studio instead of your soundcard's synth. When the MIDI data gets to GPO studio, it will hit the GPO instruments and you'll get beautiful music. To get an MP3, you'll just record GPO studio's output using a tool in GPO studio (I forget what it's called at the moment), which is also VERY easy to do.
    There's only one downside to using GPO with Noteworthy Composer. To control dynamics you can't use those nice dynamic symbols. You have to control modulation data using multi-point controllers. I think it's under insert-> multi-point controller or something like that. The dynamic symbols controll velocity, which controlls attack. So the dynamic symbols control attack sharpness.

To use GPO more effectivly, I suggest you get a sequencer. It's (imo) much easier that way. I highly recomend Cakewalk Music Creator. It's not expensive (I think $40 or something like that) and you can use the GPO DXi with it instead of GPO studio. That way you can render more realistic results, especially if you have a slow CPU (which I have (1.8 ghz)).

Like Styxx said, if you're serious about composing for orchestra, than GPO is highly recomended!

Take care,
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by echoes
    So how would GPO fit into this? Would I continue writing music with the existing programs, then do I assign samples to the tracks I have written in GPO?
    Edit=> Looks like Chris and I were both answering at the same time...so here's my long rambling version (too many years spent writing InfoTech procedures). ;-)

Echoes,
    Welcome to the forum. Glad to see another Noteworthy Composer user...that's what I used for quite a while before discovering GPO! NWC is a great starting place.

Here's how GPO fits in=> I will assume that you are currently using a synthesizer that is embedded in your soundcard and has 126 different "general midi" sounds available. Or maybe you're using a "softsynth" like Roland SoundCanvas or the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth...it doesn't matter, because they all work the same way. What you do now is to open "options" in NWC, select the device or devices you want to have available, and then assign each staff in NWC to a device, choose a midi channel, and then choose an instrument.

With GPO it will work almost the same. After a full install of GPO, some new devices will appear in the NWC options window: "GPO Studio 1" thru "GPO Studio 8". Each of these eight "players" can hold up to eight different instruments from GPO.

Just to show you how it works, let's assume that you have written an NWC file with a violin and cello duet...the violin playing the treble staff and a cello playing the bass staff.

So what you would do is first crank up "GPO Studio" (not the Garritan Personal Orchestra icon...that's a different deal), click on "Player 1" and then load a violin in "slot 1" and a cello in "slot 2" (all this is covered in the manual). Note that the instrument you load in "slot 1" corresponds to "midi channel 1" of "Player 1", "slot 2" corresponds to "midi channel 2" of "Player 1", and so on.

Now crank up NWC, load your NWC file with the violin and cello parts, open "options", select "GPO Studio 1", and then close that window. Now right-click on the treble staff, choose "Staff Properties" and assign that staff to "GPO Studio 1" and "midi channel 1". Assign the bass staff to "GPO Studio 1" and "midi channel 2". Note that the "instrument" part of the display in NWC no longer applies, so just set it to "none". With GPO Studio, the "midi channel" assignment controls which instrument plays on which staff. Also, in "general midi", channel 10 is reserved for percussion...this does not carry over into GPO...channel 10 is just another channel. Also note that in GPO, an instrument will not play a note that is outside it's natural range...if you assign a bassoon to a high flute part then you are not going to hear anything (unlike some soundcards that will just go ahead and play it anyway).

Now punch "Play" in NWC and hear...nothing! This is because the volume is turned down. Go back out to "Player 1" in GPO Studio and turn the little "mod wheel" thingy up on each slot (you have to do each one separately). Now punch "Play" in NWC again and be ready to be amazed!

GPO works well with NWC and you can still use your existing sounds (from the soundcard, or any softsynth that currently works in NWC) right along with GPO. If you get the "full version" of GPO that includes the Overture notation program, you will more than likely begin using Overture in place of GPO just becuase it offers much more control than NWC. But that's up to you...I still use NWC for beginning sketches just becuase I have the keyboard commands memorized which makes it quicker for me.

So jump on in...it's really great! And you can get help on any problems you may have right here in the forum.

;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

GPO uses mod wheel for dynamics instead of velocity on most instruments. (percussive instruments still use velocity)

You need to use the Mod Wheel (use the "Multi Point Controller window [Press "L"]) for your dynamics and expression. Velocity controls the attack (how hard the beginning of the note is hit).

I use GPO with NoteWorthy quite a bit, so if you have any questions just ask.

Such long answers.

What is GPO? The answer to your orchestral composing dreams.

-JF

Go Back to forum