• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: New Gear Setup - Need some help.

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: New Gear Setup - Need some help.

So I have the Digi002 in mint condition with a still shrink-wrapped copy of PTLE 6.9. Not to mention a full suite of plug ins for PT. This is a very killer rig but after years of being a Digi user, I find myself a slave to Vegas.

The new Vegas 6 + DVD is just too amazing and absolutely destroys PTLE. Outside of sampling, I do a ton of video work and 5.1. The video side of the Bela D stuido is set up with a Sony Digi Cam, 2 - 19 LCD Monitors (landscape) and 36" Sony Flat screen via S Video out...

Anyway, I think I want to max out Vegas 6 and move away from Digi but I don't want to lose such a great control surface (Digi002).

What 8/8 rack do you recommend and what control surface is out there with motorized faders that will control Vegas 100%. A built in video jog control would be a great bonus as well.

Tascam US2400 Control Surface or Mackie Control Universal 8?

Thanks everyone.

Francis Belardino
    Bela D Media.com
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Cool Re: OT: New Gear Setup - Need some help.

Here's where I am leaning ...
    • Mackie Control Universal 8-Channel Master Controller
    • Mackie Control Extender 8-Channel Expander for Control
    • Mark of the Unicorn (MOTU) 828MKII Firewire 24/96 Audio Interface
    • Vegas 6, DVD Architect™ 3, and AC-3 encoding software
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    FB

Re: OT: New Gear Setup - Need some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Here's where I am leaning ...
    • Mackie Control Universal 8-Channel Master Controller
    • Mackie Control Extender 8-Channel Expander for Control
    • Mark of the Unicorn (MOTU) 828MKII Firewire 24/96 Audio Interface
    • Vegas 6, DVD Architect™ 3, and AC-3 encoding software
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    FB
    That looks solid ,Francis.. On a more interesting note.. have you see this?
    http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php

You might be able to control Vegas with it.. you`d have to write them and find out... to me , its insanely cool, I`m dying to check out one of these with Reaktor etc..fun..Rich

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

It's OSC. Not likely that Vegas will support that. It's more of a synth control language.

Very cool looking thing. Too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    I find myself a slave to Vegas.

The new Vegas 6 + DVD is just too amazing and absolutely destroys PTLE.
    I couldn't agree more. I have been preaching the Vegas gospel ever since I first laid hands on it. There is just not a more intuitive audio OR video application on the planet. The irony is that its simplicity is its power. You can do anything, to anything, from anything, translated to anything...no conversions, almost no thinking. Vegas never throws up an error message that basically says "you can't do that, OK?" It just does the work. I don't know of any other application where you can just throw any format, any depth, rate, onto the timeline, and it just deals with it.

I would kill for a sequencer that was as good as Vegas. It would destroy everything on the market, instantly.

When I have to work in other applications, I feel weighted down by their clutter and the inflexibility of their UI's. Vegas is just utterly logical. I can't understand how a person could work in Final Cut or Premiere, if they'd ever experienced Vegas. Not only that, the DV quality after many stages of editing and recompression is just so phenomenally better.

The only thing Vegas has going against it is the fact that the pro-video crowd is even more notoriously neanderthal than the "studio pro" types in the audio industry. They just can't imagine that something as simple as Vegas could be the better tool...especially the Final Cut crowd, who would rather work three times as hard, it seems, than admit that Vegas just smokes Final Cut in every way.

I don't know if you've done any really big rendering projects yet. When you do, make sure that you get the network rendering engine up and running. Vegas will farm out the processing and rendering to every machine on the network, and then stitch it all together. You can cut a project's rendering time in 1/3, easy.

By the way, I'll get a recommendation for surfaces. I can go straight to the guy who programs them, and find out what he thinks is the best fit.

I can't understand how a person could work in Final Cut or Premiere, if they'd ever experienced Vegas.
    hmmm....small issue....doesn't run on a Mac. Actually not so small an issue. If Sony ever decided to support the Mac platform they might gain some users.

On the other hand, FCP has matured considerably throught the years and has become quite a great piece of software. I think for many people who have different working needs than you, FCP rocks over other programs!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I don't know of any other application where you can just throw any format, any depth, rate, onto the timeline, and it just deals with it.
    Just FYI, Saw Studio does exactly that - and has a sequencer add-on that once purchased works right inside the program called Midi WorkShop.

That's actually one of the things I love about SAW is the flexibility. Ok, back to helping Frank decide what to waste his small fortune on...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I've got Vegas 5, and probably won't upgrade to Vegas 6, since most of the difference is High Definition support, but the coolest new feature is nested projects: You can setup one project for a special effect, then use that video in the master project - all without rendering. (Okay, it has to render an audio temp file, but that's quick, compared to video renders.)

What would be great is if they'd add a killer MIDI sequencer to ACID (rather than the open platform toy from Yamaha), and allow it to import nested Vegas projects. That way I can compose to video, without needing to render. Auto-bouncing stright to tracks in the ACID or Vegas project would be wild.

It's unlikely that they'd add MIDI to Vegas, as Sony wants to differentiate their video app (Vegas) from the audio app (ACID).

Bruce, feel free to pass these suggestions to the Sonyc Foundry guys. It's about time that ACID had a real MIDI sequencer, and nesting Vegas files in ACID makes a ton of sense.

-JF

I work with many video editors and those who are on PC have dumped everything to go with Vegas. There is nothing like it.

Vegas video... real time playback without long render times is amazing. Try a simple text fade with any other video suite and its clunk clunk clunk. Vegas is the best video program hands down.

VIDEO with Vegas

On the audio side there is very little out there that can really offer everything Vegas can. From simplified audio editing, fast bouncing to any format, to 5.1 automation mixing and more.

AUDIO with Vegas

SAW doesn't come close Alan. With Vegas, all under one hood, you can create Hi-Def DVD projects in full 7.1 Dolby Digital, etc.

ps. Here's a feature I know Alan will love...

Flash format import
    Import Flash (.swf) files** directly into Vegas 6 software.

--------------------

It would be smart for Vegas to employ a simple sequencer. I rarely sequence so its ok for me BUT Vegas does not allow to use Kontakt or GS3 as a VSTi plug, right Bruce?

It looks like the Mackie controller is the only option for Vegas.

Go Back to forum