• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rack mount my PC monitor

Share/Bookmark

Rack mount my PC monitor

Hi everyone. I have this same thread on the Hardware forum and I would not generally put the same thread on two forums, but I'm not getting any response in that one so I thought I'd try this one since during the discussions of my previous threads, people indicated that they are out doing live engagements with Giga.

I have a Dell 1905FP flat panel LCD. I am going to need to have it rack mounted to take to gigs. I found one vendor who makes a really nice articulated shelf for the monitor. It folds down to a 2U space and includes the keyboard and mouse.

BUT

In order to hold all that you end up needing a rack that's 28 or 30 inches in depth. I do not want a rack that deep. It will be hard to handle and really bulky to set up at a gig.

So I got the idea to mount the monitor with a vertical rack frame. I found a couple but because the back of a Dell flat panel is not perfectly flat, the vendors told me they didn't know if it would work.

Has anyone dealt with this issue already? Anyone know a vendor who makes good vertical rack frames for 19" monitors? How do the rest of you that travel with your Giga rig handle that?

Thanks ........ Rob

Re: Rack mount my PC monitor

I know that a vertical mount would waste some space in the rack. I play a lot of gigs where that's not all that much space for my already pretty large rig to be set up. I was thinking of putting the PC, the midi interface, the power conditioner, and maybe one or two other 1U things in a rack and then having a second rack for just the monitor and keyboard. For one thing it will be much lighter that way, the PC alone weighs almost 40 pounds according to what they told me to anticipate. And if I do that, neither one of the racks has to be very deep. I think 21" will cover the PC and that will be the deepest thing being mounted. I just don't how easily I could set up a monitor on the stand and find someplace to put it at every gig.

Rob

Re: Rack mount my PC monitor

Thank you for the suggestion but I already have the monitor I want to use. There are literally dozens of companies selling rack mount monitors. I may have to resort to that but I'm trying to just find the hardware to mount my Dell 1905FP flat panel. This is what I was talking about earlier:

http://www.racksolutions.com/rackmount-monitor.shtml

It's very cool but I just can't figure out if I could live with a rack that's 28 or 30 inches deep. It wouldn't be a large rack, just deep. I don't think I can put everything in one rack because I'm not that young any more and I don't know if I could lift it and put it in the car if it weighed 80 or 100 pounds.

Rob

Go Back to forum