• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Is Giga Dual Core compatible?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Is Giga Dual Core compatible?

Hi Folks.
    Sorry to post here but I needed some higher visability for this question as I've got a potential conflict in a newly ordered system and have to act quickly.

Is anyone here using GS3 with a dual core system? (Pentium D 820, 2.8Mhz, 800FSB is what I got). Is it working properly or should I change my order to a single core processor?

Thanks,
    Jamey

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT: Is Giga Dual Core compatible?

I cannot confirm it, but I think the latest 3.1 build was tested against dual core.

I have PM'ed you, so that I can get you hooked up with an answer, but I think Monday is the earliest you will be able to get it.

Best regards,
    Bruce

I've been successfully using it with hyper-threading. Even if GS alone is not able to benefit from muti-threading (dual core) you will get a benefit if you run anything at all alongside Gigastudio. This does not count the plug-ins which run inside the GS process. They will likely not benefit, which is too bad because Gigapulse would get a real kick in the pants from dual core. I would hope we see multi processor support very soon as well as a 64 bit version, for Tascam's sake as much as the users'.

fizbin

Thank you for the input Bruce, Lee and Jay. I'm not so concerned about the performance boost of a dualcore system, more about just general compatibility. If the application is not going to work or be unstable within the dualcore environment, then that's my greatest concern. I'm sure that GS will ultimately support it, if not just for offloading processes such as GigaPulse. That's the way the industry is going and I don't see the app standing still.

Good to know that it is working as a hyperthreaded app, though. That means that there is a better chance at compatibility with my new system.

Cheers,
    Jamey

i dont have a testsystem here right now, but i had one last week and within one dayy i was not able to run gs3.1 on it, it was constantly crashing after hardwaresetup. i was testing it on 2 fresh os´s (xphome and xppro) with latest rme driver.

so, if you dont read any succes story: dont buy it right now!
    Digital AudionetworX

Thanks for your post and warning. That is of course, exactly what I didn't want to hear, but I also got an email confirming compatibility from one of the GS engineers this morning (thanks to the assistance of our good mate, Bruce R.). So, I'm gonna trust the horse and go with it and just hope for the best.

Still interested in any other success/fail stories if anyone else would care to contribute.
    Thanks again to all who posted,
    Jamey

Jamey, your one of the bravest people i dont really know.... Rich

Actually all software (drivers) that is compatible to multi-cpu systems, should
    also be compatible to dual-core - making use of dual cpus or dual-core cpus
    is a completely different issue altogether. It is kind of hard to write a low-latency application/driver to make use of the power of dual-cpus because of
    locking-issues...

Tobias

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    I also got an email confirming compatibility from one of the GS engineers this morning (thanks to the assistance of our good mate, Bruce R.).
    That was actually the Chief Technology Officer. He is a really great guy, as you could tell from the e-mail. Hopefully your experience will be good. It is going to hinge on the audio interface driver, I think, more than anything else. It might be helpful for you to put this question to the audio interface manufacturer, and attempt to get them to commit to a successful (hopefully tested on their end) test case of their product, your platform, and Giga 3.1.

That way, you'd have some recourse for quick and easy refunds, etc.

I wish I could be of more help with the dual core issue. I have been sticking with the AMD boxes until the dust settles on 64-bit systems. Those, with Echo interfaces, have been working flawlessly for me. I also have a box running with a Delta 1010 now which is also working well. I'd had that interface stored away for several years, because the ding-dang MIDI ports leak electronic interference into the audio ports when there's thick CC info going in and out. Since this box is completely FX-MAX driven, though, the Delta is working quite well...it has always been a fantastic sounding interface other than that MIDI interference issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    Jamey, your one of the bravest people i dont really know.... Rich
    Bravest? or stupidest?
    The way I look at it is that multicore processors are where the computer industry is going. In fact, when I was ordering from Dell, it was clear that they're phasing out single core processors as there was only one non-dual core processor available for the model I was building (out of about 6 choices).
    Ultimately, GS is going to have to factor this in to its development, and it already has according to the engineer I talked to this morning, who I believe is the head engineer. So, even if it isn't working totally perfect or optimized right off the bat, it will be eventually as I don't see the Giga Engineers standing still. They've always been extremely progressive and adaptive in the 7 years that I've been using their software (I started with v.1.2!).

If it's not working right out of the box, that's ok. I'll use it for games until it is.
    Cheers,
    Jamey

Go Back to forum