• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Patriotic Piece

Share/Bookmark

Patriotic Piece

I know the contest's over but I did this one this afternoon. I've always loved
    Columbia the Gem of the Ocean and here I've orchestrated it for brass and strings.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Re: Patriotic Piece

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    I know the contest's over but I did this one this afternoon. I've always loved
    Columbia the Gem of the Ocean and here I've orchestrated it for brass and strings.
    Nice work Val.I particularly enjoyed the Mozartian coda,and the surprising organ entry.Now don't shoot me for saying this but it is quite nice to hear a patriotic song,without snare drum.
    regards
    ....puts on tin helmet and hides under table in anticipation of coming flame war..."say,whaddaya mean you don't like snare drum....."

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Nice work Val.I particularly enjoyed the Mozartian coda,and the surprising organ entry.Now don't shoot me for saying this but it is quite nice to hear a patriotic song,without snare drum.
    regards
    ....puts on tin helmet and hides under table in anticipation of coming flame war..."say,whaddaya mean you don't like snare drum....."
    Huh? Timpani man, timpani. Strange thing, just after I posted this, I went to the store, came home, and did a revision. The rev is more concise. Revision to Columbia the Gem of the Ocean.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Huh? Timpani man, timpani. Strange thing, just after I posted this, I went to the store, came home, and did a revision. The rev is more concise. Revision to Columbia the Gem of the Ocean.
    Thats what I am talking about,I love the tymps in your piece,and it was refreshing to me that there was no snare.
    regards

Val:

Excellent use of GPO instruments and I like the Timpani also. This piece is one of my favorites also. You did it justice in your rendition. Great string work too........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Val:

Excellent use of GPO instruments and I like the Timpani also. This piece is one of my favorites also. You did it justice in your rendition. Great string work too........

Jack
    Thanks, check out the final take thread.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Val:

I actually like them both. The first is a bit repetitious, but nevertheless a fine piece of orchestration.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Val:

I actually like them both. The first is a bit repetitious, but nevertheless a fine piece of orchestration.

Jack
    Thanks. I've always leaned toward brevity.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Not to echo Joaz too loudly, but thank you so much for misplacing your snare set... lol.

A pleasant surprise, pulling out the stops and going with organ in this -- a fine interpretation, and a most enjoyable listen, valhalx!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I enjoyed it too, but did anyone feel the low-octave trombone in the original version muddied things a bit? I know my college professors would have dinged me for that...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast