• Register
  • Help

Topic: P4C800-E Sound+MIDI Solution?

Share/Bookmark

P4C800-E Sound+MIDI Solution?

Hello everyone,

I have the P4C800-E Deluxe but can't get GS3 to run properly. Maybe my WAMIRACK24 with GSIF1 drivers is the problem? My display stops redrawing along with bizarre note cutoffs and wild samples triggering from everywhere.
    I've done all the tweaks and have a very lean setup now but no go.

I have an Nvidia AGP card with three different connectors, everything else (PCI modem, com-port) has been stripped off the MOBO.

What is a surefire audio card(s) with this board as well at least 64 ch MIDI solution? I like the Echo Layla24 (on my older asus machine 1.8mhz) Should I try that with this new board? I use an AMT8 for midi and have had no problems.

Thanks,

Dave Connor

Re: P4C800-E Sound+MIDI Solution?

Sounds unusual, and don't have much to offer -- one thing that caught my attention, though -- twice in your message you mention video issues. There is a section of the gigastudio settings called 'visual preferences'. On my PC4800-E gigastudio, I have the box marked 'lower user interface refresh rate' checked. Could this help?

I use a different soundcard, the moderately priced and moderately capable M-audio 24/96.

Gugliel,

What's your midi solution? Does that card have midi: how many channels?

Dave

my midi has been criticized as too complicated, and it's not what I'd recommend to anyone else ... but here it is as it has grown by accident and habit:

each of the m-audio cards has one midi in and one midi out; in addition, my sequencer computer has a usb midisport 2x4 (2 in, 4 out) and a serial 1x1 midi; and each of the sampler computer has an additional 1x1 midi (one of them, a us-122 the other a 1x1 midisport).

Each computer has 4 virtual midi ports through maple midi and over midi-utitilities-for-windows across ethernet. (And the command line programs that come with this package to list midi inputs and outputs, "lsmidiins" and "lsmidiouts", are invaluable to keep track of which goes where).

The kontakt computer also has another 8 midi ports available through midi yoke, which does not work well with gigastudio for some reason.

For general use, I split the midisport 2x4, sending 2 to each secondary computer, and use 2 ethernet midi ports to each secondary computer, and one more of the hardware ethernet ports to samplitude for midi sync.

Wow! It all works so I shouldn't have any problems with the midi side of things. It seems the RME cards work so I'll look into those. I going to experiment with my Layla24 AMT8 set up from my other GS.

Thanks for helping,

DC

dpc,
    I installed a P4C800-E a few weeks ago, and had a lot of problems to make GS run (hyper-frequent bsod, no sound, freezes, GS registration number "updated" and requiring new registration, etc...).
    I disabled hyper threading in the bios, and, immediately (after the 1st reboot), GS started to run smoothly, and has been problem free for weeks now....
    Of course each PC/giga station is a different case, but at least you might try this move and see (and it takes only 2 minutes to revert to HT enabled....)

Yes I disabled HT as well after a fresh XP SP2 install, as well as all proper settings in Bios by a friend who's up on all that. Same problem persists. I think my WAMIRACK24 may be the culprit (GSIF1.) I don't think my Nvidia AGP card is the problem though maybe I should try an ATI card.

It seems that GS3.1 has it's own quirks as well. 3.04 seemed a little more stable.

DC

Interesting you're having problems, we have four systems based around this motherboard - the main DAW, one GS3 and two GS2.5 machines.

The DAW has a PCI Matrox Parhelia G100/4 in it driving four TFTs, and and RME HDSP9652, with a MOTU MIDITimepiece AV connected via USB.

The GS3 has an AGP Nvidia 5200 series, HDSP9652 and similar to Gugliel, MIDISport 2x2 hanging off the back.

The GS2.5 PCs have no audio or video cards at all as they're driven with Gigateleport and VNC.

All the machines have Intel Prescott 3.2ghz chips in with hyperthreading enabled. To be honest, having tested one hard, we stuck with the Asus boards as we found them far more stable and forgiving than anything else we could track down.

I'd suggest your obvious starting points are the Nvidia card but more likely the Wamirack. RME cards are unexciting, lack millions of MIDI and analogue ports, but seem to be rock solid under both GSIf2 and ASIO.

In terms of enabling or disabling HT, remember that if it's enabled when XP is installed and you then switch it off, all the relevant drivers and ruibbish are still present in the kernel of the OS - so HT won't work, but Windows may or may not still get confused. You're best off doing a fresh install with it switched off.... tedious, but the safer route.

Been using that mobo with GS ever since it came out, no problem. Had to turn off HT when I first upgraded to GS3 but turned it back on again with v3.03 or so. I use GS3 heavily with Sonar 4 which is a fully threaded audio application. I suspect your problems more likely lie with your audio drivers rather than GS3 itself. I use Tascam/Frontier Design audio myself.

Howard
    Ragtime Press

I fixed the (month-long) problem it seems by doing three things so I'm not sure which did the trick.

1. Removed the C drive from the quicksound data base.

2. Did all the Viper Safe services tweaks.

3. Disabled com and printer ports/drivers in Device manager.

It's gone from total instability to rock solid so something made a huge difference.

Thanks for all the help,

Dave Connor

Go Back to forum