• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GigaPulse isn't adding up...

Share/Bookmark

GigaPulse isn't adding up...

Hi Folks,
    Can someone please explain something to me here? I'm reading up as much as I can on GigaPulse as I'm getting ready to integrate it into my studio but I have a general question in regard to its capabilities:

In reading all of the Tascam literature on the technology, the thing that's left ambiguous is how much CPU is required for running one of the halls with 18 different mic perspectives. For comparison of convolution technology, on my Mac G5 2x2Ghz, I can get about 4 stereo instances of Altiverb before it starts slowing down my machine. Unless I'm wrong, having 18 instances of convolution in the same plug-in instance would require more than twice the power of my Mac's capabilities. I must be not understanding it correctly because I don't think today's computers have that much processing power, much less have any left to run GigaStudio as a sampler. What is the practical application? Are they somehow cheating the convolution process to make this work or do you have to own a 4x4Ghz PC to run one of the 18 position IRs?

Thanks to any explainations in advance.
    -Jamey

Re: GigaPulse isn't adding up...

Each instance of Gpulse only makes use of one mic position that you select, not the eighteen simultaneously. CPU usage could be calculated roughly as one instance per 1ghz of cpu power. A modern up to date system should be able to run three, maybe four instances at a time.

Thanks for the explaination. So, as I suspected, the claim of Tascam saying that you can use 18 mic positions at once (or at least eluding to) is actually not in reality possible. Maybe someday when we have that kind of CPU power available, but not today. Correct?
    -Jamey

I can run 5 instances at a time and still have some CPU room left, however it causes other problems with FX-Teleport, so I tend not to use so many.

D

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    Thanks for the explaination. So, as I suspected, the claim of Tascam saying that you can use 18 mic positions at once (or at least eluding to) is actually not in reality possible. Maybe someday when we have that kind of CPU power available, but not today. Correct?
    -Jamey
    It is unlikely that you will get to use them all simultaneously in real time - unless of course you have your template broken down over a network, then you will have sufficient CPUs to do so. One can always apply Gpulse instances during the final mixdown... but I know it just isn't the same as having it while working. One day... one day one computers will be powerful enough for convolution reverb...

However, if you are running three or four systems, you will be able to run enough instances to cover each line - to say that the sound is impressive is an understatement!

Yeah, I've been using Altiverb since the day it was released and have consequently become a bit of an upgrade slave ever since. Everything was going so well before that. It always seemed like I had more than enough CPU power for anything until my 450Mhz machine could barely run one instance.

I get 3-4 comfortably on my G5 2x2Ghz. I've never actully tried a convolution verb on my PCs, but I suspect I'll be able to run a couple of instances on my 1700Athlon and maybe a few more on my dualcore3.2Mhz. Which raises another question: Is Gigapulse multithreaded and will a dualcore processor be capable of more instances?

Best,
    Jamey

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    I get 3-4 comfortably on my G5 2x2Ghz. I've never actully tried a convolution verb on my PCs, but I suspect I'll be able to run a couple of instances on my 1700Athlon and maybe a few more on my dualcore3.2Mhz. Which raises another question: Is Gigapulse multithreaded and will a dualcore processor be capable of more instances?
    I've got an Athlon64 3000+ and can run five stereo instances comfortably.

People have been writing about "mic positions" in this thread, but I think they should have written "instrument positions" or "seats". GigaPulse has mic positions too: for 7-ch surround.

One trick is to use three stereo GigaPulse impulses: one for close, mid and far. You can then mess with the balance of the inputs to move things around. You can mess with the perspective control to move the seats closer or further from the mics. I don't really see GigaPulse as 18 different seats anymore. It's more of a continuum with nine pairs of starting positions.

For samples, I usually open up GigaPulse as inserts in the groups. Dave Govett wrote in Virtual Instruments magazine that this is a good approach for halls and spaces, as it has zero dry signal. I'm not sure that you can do that with external inputs. The external inputs come into the aux channels, and those go straight to the outs, rather than back through the inputs and groups. I've run my mic through GigaPulse, and it gave me a really deep understanding of the impulses, and my whole sound chain.

Regarding dual processors, GigaPulse won't use the two. The hardware might not even be supported. Regarding the 1.7 GHz machine, I'd look for a faster processor. You can probably get something for under $100 these days that will speed up your system without having to touch the mobo.

-JF

I'm jealous Jon - I'm running the exact same cpu and can only get three clean instances, the fourth one is shaky and five causes the system to crash - are you doing anything special to get five (those extra two instances would make a world of difference for me...)?

There are two things that might give me higher performance: fast RAM and tweaks.

I'm using 1 GB of OCZ Platimum Rev 2 RAM (two 512 MB sticks). They allow very low latency settings.

I did the tweaks from http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP

Other system stuff:
    * Asus A8V Deluze mobo
    * M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard
    * ATI 9200 SE video card

I've got Sonar 3 and Vegas 5 on that system as well, but it's relatively clean of junkware.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Regarding dual processors, GigaPulse won't use the two. The hardware might not even be supported.
    Thanks for the post, Jon. Shoot, man. It's always something, ain't it?? How would I find out if the dualcore processor isn't supported? I have to know now because I just ordered the machine from Dell and I want to change the order before they process it if it's not gonna work. Anyone know if Giga is dualcore compatible?
    -Jamey

Go Back to forum