• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any comments on Halion String Edition vol 1?

Share/Bookmark

Any comments on Halion String Edition vol 1?

I typically use strings for pop/new age and contemporary Christain soundtracks. In other words, very little classical and "real" orchestra stuff. I know this product is not vsl or SISS, but if anyone is using it, I would love to get some comments and opinions. Steinberg recently announced HSE vol 2..anyone know if there's an upgrade from vol 1, or a seperate application?

Re: Any comments on Halion String Edition vol 1?

Sonic Implants strings suit very well in pop and contemporary music, they're small sections with a rounded charachter.

Luca

Quote Originally Posted by Lux
    Sonic Implants strings suit very well in pop and contemporary music, they're small sections with a rounded charachter.

Luca
    I've had my eye on the SISS mini for quite a while, but I can get the Halion SE for a lot less.

I got the full Wizoosounds.com strings collection, and as far as I know they are same samples as in Halion string edition (maybe some less articulations and controls tho)

you can try them at www.wizoosounds.com

Luca

I use HSE all the time - a good all-rounder, and very easy to use especially the keyswitch programs. The sound is fine, if somewhat over-smooth. It IS heavy on CPU load though. I have been looking to upgrade to a more comprehensive string lib for a while. I bought GOS a couple of years back, and hated it, (not as easy to use, and disliked the sound intensely). So my new contenders were:

VSL Chamber Strings (but was put off by the programming - I haven't got time for much tweaking)

EWQLSO Gold (but I don't need half the instruments, and was put off by the comments about long release trails which is no good for intimate stuff)

SISS - this is my top favourite, but have just heard the news that HSE2 is coming out in August. So now am not sure whether to wait a bit longer... Also will have to buy GigaStudio 3 as I use HALION at the moment, but the SISS stuff is not available for that.

Go Back to forum