• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Good Times in France

Share/Bookmark

OT: Good Times in France

Hello All,
    I just got back form two nights of gigs in St. Pierre et Miquelon. These are two very small Islands off the southern coast of newfoundland, Canada, with a poulation (the Miquelon part) of 700.

What a time!!

Our host were very kind..... aside from food, travel and accomodations paid for....
    Food: We ate the likes of shark, drank wine, ate dessert, took baguettes back to the....
    Apartment (~!!!!): Basically, we were put up in a suite with four or five bedrooms, balcony, TV, dishwasher......
    We were picked up at the boat terminal by the club owner, who drove our gear and stuff to the venue where we soundchecked, and he immediately started feeding us beer......
    The audiences were very appreciative, and most that we spoke to made much effort to speak english, though our french was usually better, being from a bilingual country.
    We were paid in full, and bid a warm farewell yesterday afternoon.

Thank you, St. Pierre, et Miquelon!!! If anyone out there is from there, please accept my thanks on behalf of
    Funky Dory, and please anyone who has friends or relatives there, pass this on!!!

Belbin

Thumbs down Re: OT: Good Times in France

Quote Originally Posted by belbin

Generally speaking, english candians have a rough time getting any kind of friendly treatment out of most french canndians.

Belbin
    I'm curious,

Have you been once in Québec ?

Because generally speaking people like you don't know what they're talking about...

SergeD

Re: OT: Good Times in France

Sorry....I should've known that would offend someone out there.

I have been to quebec twice, and have had both good and bad experiences everywhere. This is probably the case ANYWHERE you go. In fact, my two visits to monreal were exremely pleasant, I was taken aback by how almost everyone I met was so fully bilingual; even those who weren't made an impressive effort. This is to say nothing of the kindness and consideration with which I was treated by most everyone I met.

I'm not saying that I have anything against french canadians. If I did, I wouldn't announce it on a public forum. What I was trying to (or should have tried harder to say), is that there is a widely held belief among Anglos that Francos, by and large, dont usually like us....obviously that's a bit of a blanket statement, but all I'm saying is that it's a widely held belief. I don't believe it, and I don't know why others do.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I should have chosen my words more carefully. If I had been a member of this forum when I returned from Quebec two years ago, I would have sung her praises high. But that was vacation, and thus too OT. This was business and is thus somewhat relevant to post.
    Perhaps after my next trip I will sing Quebec's praises. For now, please understand that I do not hold any negative opinions about French Canadians.

Belbin

Just read my post again.

"Generally Speaking", doesn't do much to qualify such a statement, or excuse it.

I'm about to edit that.

Belbin

> rough time getting any kind of friendly treatment out of most french canndians

As Serge's post confirms...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    > rough time getting any kind of friendly treatment out of most french canndians

As Serge's post confirms...
    hehe.

let's not fan the flames-I did kinda ask for that.

These threads can be really amusing, until you find yourself being the inadvertant instigator.

Call me a pushover, but he was right, afterall.....

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    is that there is a widely held belief among Anglos that Francos, by and large, dont usually like us...
    Belbin
    you could ask to Sidney Crosby, Brad Richards and also a lot of young English Canadians moved in montreal...

Anyway my girlfriend and I already love Nova Scotia and New Foundland is our next vacation goal. Generally speaking it looks beautiful there.

SergeD

Quote Originally Posted by Serge
    you could ask to Sidney Crosby, Brad Richards and also a lot of young English Canadians moved in montreal...

Anyway my girlfriend and I already love Nova Scotia and New Foundland is our next vacation goal. Generally speaking it looks beautiful there.

SergeD
    Look foreward to it my friend. PM me if you would like a contact here.

belbin

Go Back to forum