• Register
  • Help

Topic: Japanese Instruments?

Share/Bookmark

Japanese Instruments?

I've found a few sample CDs which contain keymapped sampled instruments based on some traditional Japanese instruments, but there seems to be a lack of one comprehensive library. I don't fancy forking out thousands on every sample library that happens to have one or two examples on each amongst thousands of other international instruments, so does anyone happen to know if there are any comprehensive japanese instrument sample librarys out there?

I was discussing this very issue with someone at work today and we came to the conclusion that if there is not - we would make one ourselves! I have some great location recording gear, he knows some great performers, I have a friend with a perfect studio, and he has a friend with some excellent mics. And we both have not unsubstantial sampling experience.

So if there aren't any out there, any tips? Or indeed, any pre-orders?

Re: Japanese Instruments?

Check out Quantum Leap's RA. I guess it has just about everything. They also made one called Rare Instruments, which had Taiko's I believe. Neither one is really cheap, but worth checking out.

www.soundsonline.com

-Josh

Well, If you know some great performers, and have a studio at your disposal: go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by SemperHiFi
    Check out Quantum Leap's RA. I guess it has just about everything. They also made one called Rare Instruments, which had Taiko's I believe. Neither one is really cheap, but worth checking out.

www.soundsonline.com

-Josh
    RA looks pretty impressive, but a bit overkill for me right now just for the basic Japanese instruments on offer. It only covers the 'usual suspects' and not less common instruments such as Fue flutes and drums and other percussion than the Taiko. I also want a non VI-tied library which I can load into Halion - but thanks for the info anyway

My other concern is as the other libraries with Japanese instruments don't focus on these instruments so I would expect their scope and range of expression to be somewhat limited. I have grand ideas about a huge shakuhachi program so perhaps I'll be getting on with making my own!

Shame I can't have it tommorow, though

If you can come up with a decent broad scope lib of Japanese instruments at a reasonable price, I can guarantee at least one order...

But think about the enormous possibilities just in the shakuhachi alone - so expressive an instrument, IMO, is not a good candidate for a reasonablly-sized lib. It seems more of a modeled class of insrument, with all the overblow and partial-hole coverage techniques. But don't let that stop you from doing it, I'm so tired of the same six shak licks that show up in TV melotraumas, another couple dozen would be welcome.

I'M HAVING A SHAK ATTACK!!!

No, no, get that %#$*& football player off me...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum