• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Question about how to use the key Switch Plugin in Sibelius.

Share/Bookmark

Talking Question about how to use the key Switch Plugin in Sibelius.

hi!
    I have a question about using arco and pizz commands in stringparts. I use sibelius 3 and have already installed the switch plugin, and used it on my own string quartet score. I loaded the Dry/sections strings/violins 1/vlns1/KS combo in the first slot in GP Studio on channel 1, but in Sibelius I only hear a tremelo stringsound, not a pizz or arco sound. Also, after using the GPO keyswitch plugin in Sibelius, the stringsound is disturbed, it seems that there is an extra line playing alone the original, but a semitone lower. How can I get all this fixed? All I want is to hear my strings playing their pizz and arco at the right moments.

Re: Question about how to use the key Switch Plugin in Sibelius.

Andre,

you have acccidentally triggered the semitone trill KeySwitch. What you hear is the scored note plus the trill note a semitone up upon release of the scored note. Trill and tremolo KeySwitches use release triggers; you can read about this in the update documentation . You change KeySwitch by adding the appropriate KS note before the first note to be affected. The KeySwitches are found in the octave below the lowest playable note in the patch. In the GPO player they are coloured yellow, if you have chosen this option. The KS for arco, by the way, is C - pizz is F.

Thanks,Nicky. i will have a look at it.

André
    visit my webpage at www.andrevanharen.com

Still, when I look at the keyboard in GOP studio, in player 1, I see only yellow key from e till a under the blue keys. The lowest gives the most normal tone, the highest a pizz. However, still that normal tone sounds like a tremelo in my ears. I use here the vlns 1 KS combo, because I need to switch between arco and pizz notes in 1 staff. I try to make good esemble for a string quartet piece in Sibelius. Am I doing this the right way?

Andre,

Hi. Here's how I use keyswitches in Sibelius 3.

I select the note where I want it to change. Then, I type Ctrl-T to open the text tool. Next, I type ~N36,127 (this is for Violins and Violas since there keyswitches are the same.) Play it back and you should have an arco patch.

Here's numbers for the arco and pitch p what you would have to type for each one:
    (Note: the number go by half steps, ie 36 = C, 37 = C#)

Violins and Violas

~N36,127 - Arco
    ~N37,127 - Arco with mute
    ~N38,127 - Automatic up and downbows
    ~N39,127 - Upbows
    ~N40,127 - Downbows
    ~N41,127 - Pizz
    ~N42,127 - Tremelo with mutes
    ~N43,127 - Tremelo
    ~N44,127 - Half step trill with mute
    ~N45,127 - Half step trill
    ~N46,127 - Whole step trill with mute
    ~N47,127 - Whole step trill

Cello

~N24,127 - Arco
    ~N25,127 - Arco with mute
    ~N26,127 - Automatic up and downbows
    ~N27,127 - Upbows
    ~N28,127 - Downbows
    ~N29,127 - Pizz
    ~N30,127 - Tremelo with mutes
    ~N31,127 - Tremelo
    ~N32,127 - Half step trill with mute
    ~N33,127 - Half step trill
    ~N34,127 - Whole step trill with mute
    ~N35,127 - Whole step trill

Double Bass

~N12,127 - Arco
    ~N13,127 - Arco with mute
    ~N14,127 - Automatic up and downbows
    ~N15,127 - Upbows
    ~N16,127 - Downbows
    ~N17,127 - Pizz
    ~N18,127 - Tremelo with mutes
    ~N19,127 - Tremelo

In case you're wondering, the 127 is the velocity attack.

If you are still hearing a tremelo, I can think of a few things.

First, make sure you have everything updated. I don't remember what the patches were like in the first version, but this may be part of your problem.

Second, if you are loading multiple violin patches, make sure that you don't have any of them on the same channel in the Kontakt player. To check this, look at the Kontakt player. Click on each instrument that you have loaded. You'll notice in the lower left hand corner of the panel, right above where it says "Velocity", a symbol that look like a MIDI cable (or a lady bug :-D). That represents the MIDI channel. There are 16 seperate channels and an Omni. Click on the number to choose a channel. Make sure that none of them are the same.

Third, if you have entered and Text messages in Sibilius, you may have accidently put in a nuber for a tremelo violin. Please note that, when you copy and paste part of a staff to another line, everything that was present in the first staff is present in the second, including text and CC messages. Here's how I check for any stray text messages. It really simple. Simply, highlight the entire page and look for any text messages (they should show up as a light blue or gray, I may be colorblind!! :-D) If you find one that shouldn't be there, click on the mesaure it is associated with, then click on the text and delete it. There may be other ways to do this, but this is the best way I have found.

Geez, I've written you a book!

OK, I hope this stuff helps. If not, let me know and we can see what else we can figure out.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Smile Re: Question about how to use the key Switch Plugin in Sibelius.

Hi Jonny!
    Thanks for som much info, I will try it out and when I still have problems after this, I will ask again.
    Thanks!

André

hi again, jonnyi did it exactly the way you told me, but the result is the same. there is still the tremelo sound in the first and second violin and the disturbed sound in the viola and cello part. i checked the channels, there are no doubles. Do I btw also need to use the keyswitch plugin in sibelius after inserting the other info with the text tool?

Greetings,
    André

Red face Re: Question about how to use the key Switch Plugin in Sibelius.

Jonny,

I was wondering, could you otherwise have a quick look at my string quartet piece if I cannot solve the problem from here? That would really help me a lot.

André

Andre,

Are you using 4 different midi channels in your piece? If not, you may be triggering the keyswitch with an instrument (probablu the cello). Try setting each instrument in GPO studio to a different midi channel.

Andre and Jonny,

Andre, I have the same problem as you, and Jonny, thanks for the very clear explanation of how to use the KS. I think the problem is this: when I load the KS violin, there are only the following sounds - tremolo, trills/half step, trills/whole step, and pizz. There are no arco, up/down, etc. The keyboard in Kontakt which shows the keys that correspond to the sound/keyswitch are in yellow(orange) from E up to A; the black keys have no effect. I suspect that we need to update something - would this be the X-folder, I wonder. In the newest documentation, it lists the keyswitch notes as beginning on C, which is not what I am seeing.

I'm not sure what the next step is, or what I need to download.

Suggestions?

And yes, Jonny, you did write a book-but what a helpful one it is!

Thanks.

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum