• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase SX users...

Share/Bookmark

Cubase SX users...

Could anyone tell me if the notation/score capabilities of SX-3 are any good? In other words, is it reasonable to consider using it instead of having to use a separate notation program such as Finale, Sibelius, etc. so that I can do everything in one program rather than having to learn two distinctly different ones? Cubase says SX-3 has "professional" quality scoring capability, but sometimes company statements "stretch" reality.

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: Cubase SX users...

Well, I don't know about SX. I used SE and can tell you the notational part of it didn't leave much to be desired. Anything I did in Cubase and needed a score I imported to Overture. Unfortunately, neither one exists in my PC now. Furthermore, for what it's worth, Cakewalk 2004 XL had better notation than Cubase SE. I would say you should look into using a notational program outside of Cubase. Just my personal opinion.
    Eh, heck ... you can borrow three or four of my Monks. They do excellent manuscript!
    Styxx

Hi Tom - Before I had GPO (and Overture) I used SX3 as my notation programme and generally recorded then edited in the score. I actually find it easier to write directly in Overture, my attempts at writing direct into Cubase were usually frustrated by the interface - although possibly because I hadn't made it far enough up the learning curve. All the scoring potential is there in Cubase, but everything is more intuitive in Overture. I'm not aware that you can set functional expression/dynamic marks in Cubase as you can in the notation only software............so my current preferred way of working is to write in Overture, print off, then play back in to Cubase.

Here's the first page of something I did a few weeks ago in SX3. Obviously, there's some stuff that only specialized notation software is capable of doing, but for the most part I get by quite happily with SX. YMMV

Smile Re: Cubase SX users...

Hey Tomcat,
    My experience with the score editor of SX 1 2 and 3 was very frustrating. I tried Overture and found that my productivity increased three fold. I then tried a demo of Sibelius and decided to purchase it. I have been very happy with it. Now that Overture 4 is out I may be regretting the Sibelius purchase, but thats life.

I would try the demos of any notation programs you are interested in and give it a whirl. If you try Overture look at the *extensive* list of upgrades version 4 will be bringing.

One other thought that will be important to you. MIDI exports from Sibelius import into SX well. The same for Overture. Probably the same for Finale, but I don't know.

This is a totally subjective topic, so you may not have the same experience I have had. Give the apps a try and see what fits you best. Good luck!

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I have SX 2 and the notation can be good, but it is very frustrating to work with and doesn't always act in predictable ways. Perhaps if you spend enough time with it, you can get consistent results, but the documentation is not that good. I did get some pretty good results, though. I don't know what they added in SX3 to notation, but there were not enough overall improvements to the program to get me to upgrade.

I ended up geting Sibelius, as it is much easier to work with. If your on a budget, you could probably make due with Cubase notation if you didn't need to get real fancy and real professional.

I think I'll wait until Finale 2006 comes out and check it out because I can get a really GOOD deal on upgrading from an older program I used earlier.

I'm a still working church organist, so I read music fluently (well except for alto cleff!) and need something I can get good "church music" notation with. The people we buy most of our music from use Finale (Oregon Catholic Press in Portland, Or.).

Thanks for the info,
    Tom

Go Back to forum